VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Pumpkin will not stop biting. She doesn't do it to be mean and doesn't do it hard (although sometimes it is painful). NON-STOP! That's all she tries to do..even the vet said something. She has all her adult teeth in so it isn't teething
It has gotten so bad.

any advice?

everytime she does it i go OUCH! really loud and say NO.
not working =/

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
She probably wasnt socialized properly as a puppy. Many puppies are taken too early from their siblings and don't learn many important socialization lessons. When she bites, make a high pitched sound, almost like a scream. It's supposed to resemble a puppy letting a littermate know he's biting too hard and it's painful. Saying "ow" in a normal tone of voice doesn't do anything because she can't understand you.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Who is Pumpkin? We need more info

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Who is Pumpkin? We need more info
Agreed. Also, funny story. Because I saw on the main VB page that Werewolf Girl was the last one to post in this forum, and because I am very tired, I initially read the title of this thread as "Issue with Werewolf Girl."

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieP View Post

Agreed. Also, funny story. Because I saw on the main VB page that Werewolf Girl was the last one to post in this forum, and because I am very tired, I initially read the title of this thread as "Issue with Werewolf Girl."
Well I AM clearly a trouble maker

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Let's assume this is a dog until we're told otherwise. Cats are by nature too well behaved to do this.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Let's assume this is a dog until we're told otherwise. Cats are by nature too well behaved to do this.
Eh, my cat Violet bites a lot, and HARD. But she doesn't do it nonstop, and dogs do tend to bite a lot more than cats, so yeah, I think you're right and Pumpkin is a dog.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Here's an article about teaching bite inhibition
http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm

and another on NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

My advice would be to turn your back and ignore the dog if the ouch! is not working. Cross your arms and turn your whole body away from her. Reward the positive. If you are squealing, pulling away etc. she is still getting attention and she will be confused because you are behaving like a big chew toy, especially if she has a high prey drive.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

She probably wasnt socialized properly as a puppy. Many puppies are taken too early from their siblings and don't learn many important socialization lessons. When she bites, make a high pitched sound, almost like a scream. It's supposed to resemble a puppy letting a littermate know he's biting too hard and it's painful. Saying "ow" in a normal tone of voice doesn't do anything because she can't understand you.
Oh Gawd, the neighbor below jessickah is going to love this advice, lol.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

My advice would be to turn your back and ignore the dog if the ouch! is not working. Cross your arms and turn your whole body away from her. Reward the positive.
Absolutely agree with this. Say a loud "ouch", "ooo", "eee", "aaah" or whatever sound one would make in this situation, turn away, do not look at the squash, and ignore until it calms down.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post

Absolutely agree with this. Say a loud "ouch", "ooo", "eee", "aaah" or whatever sound one would make in this situation, turn away, do not look at the squash, and ignore until it calms down.
This. She is trying to play the way dogs play with each other. She needs to get the idea she can't play that way with humans. We are wussies. That's the way she'd learn it from a littermate. If she bit too hard, they'd yelp and then quit playing her game.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

its not in a normal tone of voice and the vet suggested I do it.
Assuming he has to know what he is talking about considering he is vet...
i hope XD

·
Registered
585 Posts
My dog used to chew on my hands. I'd let her when she was a puppy b/c it was cute and didn't hurt. Then she grew up. :p My own fault. Anyways, I stopped paying attention to her when she did it and she eventually just stopped trying to bite my hands.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Does your dog have any chew toys like kongs or nyla bones?

A few of mine were biters at first (they are all rescues from the street, they picked up some bad habits living like bums). We made sure to have plenty of chew toys around for them to play with, and anytime they start to bite us we quickly put a chew toy in their mouths. They picked up pretty quickly that biting was only allowed on the toys. Now when my youngest dog wants to play she brings her chew toy over so we can play together and she can bite the toy.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes tons of toy.
she suckers me into buying a ton of them when we go the pet store !
she is still biting, not as much though.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i tried turning my back to her

she climbs on my back and her nails dig into me and she's half my weight so it hurts !
she almost knocked me over a few times. >.<

my fiance' bought an airfresher type thing?
comfortzone or something like that...

I don't think it's working, but he said while he was there the MANAGER told him how she's "bad and uses a shock collar on her dog and puts in on really tight so she knows she means it"

glad I wasn't there I would have FLIPPED.

Oh and my fiance [who eats a vegan diet] was asking her if it was ethical and if hurt and her response was

"well when my son was sixteen...he's an idiot..he put on the collar and EHH let's just say he lived through it"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts