VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of going vegan, though there is one issue: the bread my family buys.
On the ingredient list, it says it contains less than 2% of honey and nonfat milk. Now, I don't want to eat any honey/dairy products, but this is the brand of bread my family buys, and no one else in my family is vegetarian, nor do we have unlimited funds for them to be buying me a separate kind of bread. Also, my mom already isn't too psyched about my conversion to veganism in general, so I'm not too sure she'd even be willing to switch the brand we're using at the moment, until she gets more used to the idea. I'm in high school right now, but I'll be graduating in about a year and a half, so this is my question: Would it be so bad to use this bread until I leave/am able to convince my mom to buy bread without these ingredients, if I won't be eating any other dairy/honey products besides? Or am I just being a hypocrite?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Well, do you need to eat the bread? Could you like use tortillas for wraps and things instead?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't necessarily need to, but again, having to ask my mom to buy me wraps will be an additional cost, and we don't have much money in the first place. Plus, I usually just have a sandwich for lunch when I go to school, since it's something easy to make. I'm just worried about making my mom even angrier in the first place by asking her to go searching with me for some vegan bread, but I don't want to be a hypocrite and keep eating something that has animal products in it, when I've removed all other sources from my diet.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Sometimes when you're still living at home it's a give and take and no one really looks down on it, it may just be something to put up with for a while.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Sometimes when you're still living at home it's a give and take and no one really looks down on it, it may just be something to put up with for a while.
This is my thought. Especially if your parents aren't happy about your veganism and money is tight....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone. I'd prefer to keep my family happy, and if it means eating one little thing that isn't wholly vegan for a year, then so be it. But I appreciate all of your thoughts as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You could go with her to the store the next time she's going to pick up bread. Once there, you can make some suggestions. Be helpful, rather than pushy.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I agree that bread isn't a big issue, as you live at home.
Do you have an Aldi's grocery? They have L'oven Oven whole wheat and whole grain that are vegan! And cheap.
It amazes me how something as simple as cheap bread can be so complex.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't eat dairy or eggs, but I do sometimes eat bread of unknown content. If I'm visiting someone or at a restaurant, I don't worry about it. The eggs or dairy in bread is usually a pretty small amount, and I don't want to paint myself into a corner where I can't even have a vegan burger because the bun might have a tiny amount of dairy in it. That's just diminishing returns in my mind -- I don't think it's helping animals one bit by me avoiding a hamburger bun. I do buy dairy and egg-free bread for myself, though, because I'm able to pick and choose.

If you want to try to get some vegan bread (and don't have funds to pay for it yourself) I would do some research and see if you can find a vegan bread variety that is similar to what you already get, available at the grocery store where your mom shops, and similar or cheaper in price. Then propose switching varieties to her. If you do get a different kind of bread for yourself, you can always keep in the freezer so it will last longer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I bet your mom would love it if you made fresh, home baked bread

It's cheaper and yummier!! (and vegan!)
This is what I was going to say.

Eat the bread in the mean-time, but keep your eye on the freecycle groups for a bread-maker, and explain to the person giving it away your situation.

You may find yourself with a bread maker, and then you can just tell your mom a new friend gave it to you because they didn't use it anymore, and you want to try it out because you heard that it's cheaper and tastes better than store bought bread.

Then it wouldn't be an issue of you rejecting her bread purchases out of being vegan, but an issue of "Hey, I got a new thing- let's try it!" And then just picking a vegan recipe.

Or you can slowly get into baking (don't start with bread), and eventually move up to making bread. If you do it gradually, she probably won't object.

Say, start with "hey, my friend gave me this recipe I want to try".

It's hard to bake good sandwich bread in an oven though. Ideal yeast rising is very particular. Definitely not for novices.

You can make wraps yourself, by hand, from nothing more than flour and water though, and a pan on the stove-top to cook them. If there's flour in the house, you can make wraps (it's a bit time consuming without a flour press, though, and even more so with no rolling pin, but still do-able).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to say exactly that the last two did. I make all my own bread now, and it's sooo much better
. You don't need a breadmaker, it's easy enough honestly. I'm no baker, and it always came out fine (I'm spoiled now, I have a breadmaker).

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I went veggie at 16 I had a job and began to buy all of my own food, that way I could be sure to get all the nutrients I needed without the things I didn't want to be eating. I suggest you get a job and buy your own vegan foods, so you have control over your intake and ensure you get what you require. Your family would probably appreciate the help, anyway.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it and eat the bread also. It really sounds like you want to be vegan. And you may not be able to 100% until you are out on your own. You are still in your parents house. It sounds like your mom is at least partially accepting. I don't think you would do your family or yourself making an issue about every ingredient. You'll probably just have to do the best you can for now. And a year goes fast. Don't worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts