VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to go vegetarian (or vegan) for the health benefits (mainly more energy). Cost isn't a huge problem for me, and I've found a gourmet place that cooks meals, freezes them, and I can heat them up at home for much cheaper than eating out.
Unfortunately, however, my body type is EXTREME ectomorph. I never gained the Freshman 15, I actually found myself in the negative 5 lbs 2 months into my first semester just due to stress (I also don't eat much when I get stressed :/). Is there any way to be vegan/vegetarian without losing weight so rapidly? I know I can double up on things like nuts (I got almonds today for snacking) and avocados are always good...but are there any other foods that I can eat which will help me maintain a healthy weight? I've made sure to get things high in calories but still vegetarian/vegan from the place including things with lots of beans, eggplant, and avocado.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Bananas/avocado, nuts/seeds, tahini, hummus, bread, margarine, nut butters, soya milks, puddings, gravies...all high calorie sorts of foods. Throwing some extra fat in your potatoes or veg, eating nut butter on your bread, etc...lots of little ways to get those calories in there.

I likely going to be blasted for this, but if you're suspecting you'll have a rough time, you might start by going veg before transitioning to veganism. There will be less of a challenge to your taste buds and the fat/calories in dairy might help you while you work out how to best eat vegan for your needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my original plan..to transition to vegetarian and then eventually to vegan to see how I can work out the dairy issue. I'm trying out soy milk now (I actually prefer the taste to whole milk) and so I'm slowly taking the step down from what I normally eat that's dairy (which isn't much to be honest - I'm not a fan of cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc). Hummus is a great idea! I have gotten a lot of foods with chickpeas in them too.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Considering you eat roughly the same quantities of food as before, there shouldn't be a noticeable negative change in your weight. I actually gained weight during the first year I was vegan, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
These boards are filled with plenty of fat vegans and vegetarians.
I recently had a fight with a co-worker who was convinced that I ate meat on the sly when no one was looking... otherwise I wouldn't weigh so much.

3.5 years ago, I went from 90% of my diet being meat, milk, and eggs to straight vegan.
My body freaked out a little, and I did lose weight for a few months.
I ate lots of raw veggies at first, which are great for weight loss because they have such low calorie density.

One I re-learned how to cook, all the weight came back and then some. I love rich foods. I eat cookies, vegan pumpkin pie, Soy delicious cookie dough ice cream, and I fry a lot of things in my cast iron skillet. I have lots of different oils, and I also eat a lot of grains and beans. I also go through about a half gallon of soymilk a day.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I would not be shocked if you lost a little weight at first. Any sudden change in diet is going to alter your digestion and metabolism.

If money isn't a problem for you, then I highly recommend consulting a nutritionist. If you have the free time, see if you ca take some vegetarian/vegan cooking classes in your area.

Now then, put your kitchen to good use, and make yourself some awesome vegan snacks!!!

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Plenty of porridge could help you pile on the pounds. It's one of my favourite foods to gain weight with, and oats are cheap, and easy to prepare. Maybe rice? I love to binge on dried fruit when i am on my weight gain cycle.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Potato chips are the bane of my existence. (And the reason that I'll never be thin, no matter how vegan I am
)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only problem with fatty carbs for me is:
1. the cholesterol (my family has a history of high cholesterol and it's higher than average for my age...not a big deal, but I don't want to push the issue.
2. I'm hypoglycemic unfortunately and carbs make my blood sugar go up up up and then plummet down.
Though money isn't an issue, I don't have time to seek out a consultant or to really cook much for myself. Are there quick, healthy, natural alternatives such as bananas, avocados, almonds, etc. that anybody could suggest?
:/

·
Registered
963 Posts
chickpeas for hummus or just add it to salads, casseroles or other foods. Potatoes get a lot of flack for being unhealthy but they are actually a healthy calorie dense food. Use lots of nut butters or nuts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biozeta View Post

The only problem with fatty carbs for me is:
1. the cholesterol (my family has a history of high cholesterol and it's higher than average for my age...not a big deal, but I don't want to push the issue.
2. I'm hypoglycemic unfortunately and carbs make my blood sugar go up up up and then plummet down.
Though money isn't an issue, I don't have time to seek out a consultant or to really cook much for myself. Are there quick, healthy, natural alternatives such as bananas, avocados, almonds, etc. that anybody could suggest?
:/
hi and welcome, biozeta!

for healthier carb-like alternatives you can try looking into quinoa and millet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biozeta View Post

I'd really like to go vegetarian (or vegan) for the health benefits (mainly more energy). Cost isn't a huge problem for me, and I've found a gourmet place that cooks meals, freezes them, and I can heat them up at home for much cheaper than eating out.
Unfortunately, however, my body type is EXTREME ectomorph. I never gained the Freshman 15, I actually found myself in the negative 5 lbs 2 months into my first semester just due to stress (I also don't eat much when I get stressed :/). Is there any way to be vegan/vegetarian without losing weight so rapidly? I know I can double up on things like nuts (I got almonds today for snacking) and avocados are always good...but are there any other foods that I can eat which will help me maintain a healthy weight? I've made sure to get things high in calories but still vegetarian/vegan from the place including things with lots of beans, eggplant, and avocado.
Thanks for any help!
Can we trade body types? <_< I swear, I gain weight just looking at food.

Anyway, I'm not going to advocate eating more junk food (there's plenty of vegan options for that). Some calorie dense vegan foods include avocado, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, olives, pretty much anything that can be made into an oil or has a high natural sugar content.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts