VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I found this board through another site recommended to me from a friend. This is my 4th day as a... vegetarian, I think. I don't really know what I am, but figured I'd come here and see if I fit in

Four days ago, I made a decision to no longer support the needless suffering of animals. To that end, I no longer wish to eat commercial meat or products where animals are treated as commodities, or purchase products made from same. I'm not against eating meat necessarily, or eggs or milk, I just don't want to put more money into the pockets of companies that torture these animals with horrible living conditions and inhumane treatment.

I'm teetering on the edge of being against eating meat totally though, because I kind of feel if I can't kill it myself, I shouldn't eat it. And I could never kill an animal. I kind of need some encouragement in this area.

Someday I'd love to have a farm where I raised my own cows, goats and chickens, loved them all, and ate the byproducts of these animals, in addition to my own vegetables and herbs grown out of my own garden. I love nature, and the earth, and I'd really like to go back to the basics.

So...I'm not sure if this makes me vegetarian, or vegan, or possibly nothing at all.

I had a bad day today; for Mother's Day I visited my parents back home and they had cooked a nice roast. I just informed them today of my new decision, so they weren't able to prepare anything for me that I could eat besides potatoes and greenbeans. And they knew I love roast beef...so they thought they were making something nice for me. I felt so awful, I was in a quandry - should I eat it or not? I finally decided to have some because 1)I had already made my point about my new lifestyle, and they kind of understood and accepted it, and 2)I felt it would be worse to waste the meat than to just eat it, because then the animal would have died in vain (right?)

Anyways, sorry for the epistle. Um, an introduction: I'm 31, live with my meat-eating boyfriend whom I love dearly, work for a software company, and have 9 rats, 1 cat, 5 fish, and a budgie as pets. I look forward to meeting people through this forum, if things work out that this is the place for me

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi fly_away.

I'm glad you found the board and I hope that what you find here can help you figure out what you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hello! You sound like you have a similar philosophy to me... that would make you not a vegan though! So vegetarian it is (and there is nothing wrong with that, and don't let anyone tell you differently!)

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
fly-away:

i think that in the instance of mother's day, you did the right thing. Also, if you decide to do that in the future--whatever your reasoning--that is ok too. it took me about 6 months to finally go completely vegetarian, only eating meat when i was with family who had prepared it for me/us (which turned out to be about once a month).

Then, i went vegetarian. THree months after that, vegan. Then three years after that, ovo-vegetarian again.

i do not think that meat eating, etc, is per se immoral or wrong. I do think that there are more humane ways to acquire these products, and i support those mechanisms. There are humane ways to raise and slaughter animals, or to hunt them, or to acquire by products that don't involve the problems of "factory farming." I think that becoming vegetarian to "boycott" these mechanisms is a good one.

For me personally, unless it was *absolutely* necessary, i couldn't eat an animal. my husband, though, purchases a number of meats from humane sources. Neither of us consume dairy, but we found good sources for that as well--if we wanted it. We do consume eggs, from a particular local farm/friend.

What i find more imprtant than a person being veg or vegan is that they are consciencious about their food choices and how those choices affect others--humans, animals, the environment. If they have qualms with certain industry practices, then they should seek out practices that allign with their values and support those practices--whether that relates to animal farming or vegetable farming as well.

so, we're not so different afterall.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
welcome fly_away

you have certainly come to the right place. you'll find plenty of info here that should be able to help you make the right decisions.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hey!!!!

Welcome here. Be warned that this place is ADDICTIVE!!

We'll give you any advice you like, from vegetarianism to... well anything as you'll find out. And you must give us advice too! I for one am the one responsible for the silly advice!!

As of the situation you describe, I think you did OK b/c you didn't want to hurt your parents. Yep situations like this are not pleasant. But I think meanwhile I wouldn't eat it. But you're newbie and surprised them out of the blue so you did good I think.

It's best to call and inform the host that you are veg - and you can assure them that they don't have to cook extra (they will anyway). You can also offer to bring something veg for everyone to try. I like to bring homebaked bread.

I personally wouldn't eat meat because "let's not waste it". Meat is not good for me so if anything, it should rather land in the trash than in my tummy!

See you around!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes! And especial thanks to zoebird and Oatmeal (mmm..love oatmeal!) for sharing your thoughts. I've already seen lots of posts of interest, but have tried to refrain myself from posting...wouldn't wanna flood the board LOL

I'll be honest - I've been starving since Sunday night! I don't know if it was the taste of meat or what, but I've tried to be good since and have had this pit in my tummy
A friend suggested that until I can stock some things to cook, and shop a little and plan some meals, I "ease" my way into vegetarianism. Starting with 2-3 totally veg. meals/week then gradually cutting out everything that's NOT vegetarian. That sounds like a good idea...which I'll consider. But tonight I'm having cheese pizza
I dread the day when I have to give up cheese!!

Thanks again and see ya around!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Don't we ALL love oatmeal? (and Oatmeal too!)

Sure there is no pressure, some people find it easier to go cold turkey, for some a slow transition is best. Just stick around here - a lot of knowledgeable folks on this borad. Cooking, recipes, ingredients, etc.

We won't be angry with you even if you are not 100% veg all the time!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
in order to feel satisfied, you may want to add some good fats to your foods: nuts, seeds, olive oil, avacado, etc. it helps one feel satisfied.

also, get some meat analogues to help you out. trader joes has some nice "chicken poppers" which are vegetarian as well as their veggie meatballs. Both are great. THere are a lot of analogues out there, and though i don't recommend them as an "all the time" thing, it's great when you're just starting out!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with Zoebird, it does help to add some (good) fats to your diet. I also try to eat a bit of protein every time I have a meal or snack. I feel much more satisfied this way and stay full longer.

Anyway, no matter what you decide to do, just make sure to be true to yourself.

Oh, ya, and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Well, I've been "good" since Sunday, so we're going on 4 days straight! Whoohoo! Thanks for the tips; I plan to do some major shopping this weekend, but today I bought some protein bars and nut mixes

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
FlyAway,

It sounds like you have a great start! I remember the time when I was counting the days that I'd been a vegetarian. Now I am counting the years. (It's up to three years now.)

I am certainly not one to criticize you for eating the roast beef because of social pressures. When I was new, I had thought about and researched the topic for a good four months, and then I went "out" at a friend's birthday party. I knew that her parents didn't know my parents and most of her friends were outside my regular social circle--it was safe to be a vegetarian there! It was another week or so before I informed my family, and I'm sure they were wondering because I had been trying to not be obvious that I wasn't eating the meat.

It's great you've come here! We get to encourage you, and vice versa!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts