VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I baked a sweet potato to use in sweet potato biscuits later this week. I baked it along with dinner, and it was blazing hot when I put away leftover so I left it on the stove wrapped in aluminum foil. I wasn't feel well though and fell asleep around 8, and didn't put it away, and my bf never thinks to do these things, so it sat out all night. I put it in the fridge this morning, and it was pretty darn cold. Do you think I could still use it later in the week, or will it have become toxic overnight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Some people are a lot more strict about these things than I am, but if it's not growing any mold, I'd go ahead and use it (within 2-3 days, though), because you'll be baking with it. If you were talking about something where you wouldn't cook it again, I'd say absolutely not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
It still had its peel and it was wrapped, right, so the chances of anything surviving the oven or getting in there later are fairly slim. Plus, you'll be heating it again. I'd say smell it and if it doesn't seem off, use it. I used to eat stuff that sat in a pot on the stove all the time when I still lived with my parents and I was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Im sure it would probably be ok but I wouldn't eat it. In our house, if its been out of the fridge all night, it goes in the garbage.
Same here. I don't like to waste food, but I'm a believer in "When in doubt, throw it out" when it comes to anything I even remotely feel is questionable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a "when in doubt, throw it out" person myself, but it's not like it's the middle of the summer, and the potato was in skin, in foil, and is going to be baked into biscuits, so it'll be getting quite hot again before it's eaten. I'm leaning toward it being edable, because of things like apple pie which we cook then leave out for days and continue to eat it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,604 Posts
I'm of the "smells fine, looks fine, eat it" school. But then I, much like a toddler, sometimes find myself putting unidentified tidbits I find on the kitchen counter or floor in my mouth before thinking of what I'm doing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
The health dept (and I) say THROW IT OUT! the vast majority of microorganisms that cause food borne illness are not food spoilage organisms- meaning they don't change the taste, texture, or smell of the food.

The sweet potato was wrapped in foil which would keep it moist and allow any bacteria on the skin to flourish. Even if you bake it there are many strains of bacteria that produce toxins as they go through their life cycle and these toxins aren't damaged by heat. They can still make you ill even if the item was cooked well after being left out and all the bacteria are now dead (this type of food borne illness is called a food borne intoxication)

<<<---- Is serv safe certified
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,260 Posts
Even though you would catch me eating the thing, thebelovedtree is 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

The health dept (and I) say THROW IT OUT! the vast majority of microorganisms that cause food borne illness are not food spoilage organisms- meaning they don't change the taste, texture, or smell of the food.

The sweet potato was wrapped in foil which would keep it moist and allow any bacteria on the skin to flourish. Even if you bake it there are many strains of bacteria that produce toxins as they go through their life cycle and these toxins aren't damaged by heat. They can still make you ill even if the item was cooked well after being left out and all the bacteria are now dead (this type of food borne illness is called a food borne intoxication)

<<<---- Is serv safe certified
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,132 Posts
I would eat it. I hate wasting food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,049 Posts
I'd eat it. I can't AFFORD to waste food. We probably eat a LOT of things that most people would be a little freaked at.

(Brandon, I'll clear out all the expired labels before you come to visit. Or maybe that's why you never HAVE come to visit?)

I realize the health dept. has reasons for their regulations and all, but eh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Sure, it's possible for heat stable toxins to remain on the skin, but most bacteria aren't pathogenic and would have died first time round in the oven. And the chances of pathogenic bacteria walking around your kitchen and getting into the foil wrapper...nah... I wouldn't feed it to a crowd, but I'd eat it myself and maybe wash and peel it before heating again if I was having a paranoid day.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,791 Posts
If you are going to bake it in biscuts, the temp will be over 350 for 30 min? If so, it should be fine. Make sure it smells "normal" right before you use it tho'. I wouldn't eat it without raising the temp high enough long enough to kill bacteria. Then after your meal, I would not save the leftovers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,132 Posts
Considering it's been five days since it was left out overnight, if it wasn't off then it would be off now!
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top