VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hubby was telling me about a conversation he had with a woman he works with. She mentioned she is Vegan, so my hubby said " oh my wife is vegetarian and is trying to go Vegan".......the woman then proceeds to tell hubby......." well about once a year I cheat and eat a steak"

my husband said to her " oh well my wife doesn't do that!"

so why would someone call them selves vegan and say they eat a steak once a year??

i just found it odd.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I think the question is how could she find a steak appetizing? I get meat craving sometimes, but the thought of actually putting it in my mouth makes me sick.

I don't like nitpicking over labels. Technically, she may not be, but for 364 days of the year she is, so it's much easier for her to describe the diet that everyone else will have to deal with when cooking for her/ordering food than to say "I usually eat vegan" which gives people the impression that there is wiggle room. However, somehow I doubt she would be a very strict vegan those 364 days anyway.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I guess she would consider herself a "health vegan" - hence the language of "cheating," like it's just a diet like, say someone on a low-fat diet splurges and eats a piece of cake.

The planned "cheating" with a steak is not vegan. I would say she mostly follows a vegan diet.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont like to nit pick either, I just found it curious that she would call herself vegan, then proceed to say she cheats with steak.

i find it for me extremely difficult to get to veganism. and if i ever make it 100% a steak would be the last thing i would even think of. a steak is the last thing i would think of now. lol

honestly though i applaud her if she is a vegan the rest of the year.

i think thats great.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
She's 99.726% vegan.

Once a year. ONCE. For all intents & purposes, I'd call that vegan (if she eats vegan the rest of the time). How is that different from going out to eat and deliberately not asking whether there is whey in the bun for the "veggie burger with vegan Boca(c) patty"?

I work with a woman who calls herself vegetarian but has bacon "once maybe twice a year" but is otherwise an organic vegetarian. I still consider her vegetarian.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post

Its like someone I know who says she's veggie yets eats fish!!!!.
no, it's not.

She eats meat once a year. It's not the same as someone who says "I'm vegetarian" and yet eats fish several times a week.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Once a year. ONCE. For all intents & purposes, I'd call that vegan (if she eats vegan the rest of the time).
Maybe that makes sense if veganism is seen as a mere description of diet. If it is seen as an ethical/political commitment, it doesn't.

Quote:
How is that different from going out to eat and deliberately not asking whether there is whey in the bun for the "veggie burger with vegan Boca(c) patty"?
I see eating a part of a corpse as different from eating something containing an animal secretion.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I believe if you eat steak once a year and do so willingly and without guilt, you are not vegetarian. If you eat steak and feel guilt and remorse, then you are.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
really? So if I eat steak once a year and like it, I'm not veg. But if I eat steak every day and feel horrible about it, then I'm vegetarian?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I see eating a part of a corpse as different from eating something containing an animal secretion.
I guess I don't understand, then, why. From a vegan perspective, isn't it all forbidden/bad/cruel? And what is the difference? Why does the difference even exist from a vegan standpoint?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Honestly she puts herself into a strange category with her confession. If she wants to be known as vegan, and always receive vegan food - except for that one time per year (although I'll bet it's really more often, because, as I wrote before, she seems to see it like cheating on a diet, which seldom seems to happen just once per year) - she probably ought to just not mention the one time. The confessionals are a little odd to me. When people know that you're willing to compromise so greatly on your diet, they tend to not be so careful or willing to accomodate your more restricted preferences (which is just one of the issues with calling oneself a "flexitarian" - you might prefer a veg meal sometimes, but people know you might be open to eating hot dogs too).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well, if she cheats with a, "steak" once a year...I'm pretty sure she "cheats" and consumes other animal products as well.

I'm sure it isn't just restricted to meat.

·
Registered
519 Posts
People like that really bug me, they fuel the belief that veg*nism is a diet rather than a lifestyle choice.

I used to have a friend who would always try and bug me into eating meat, she'd say things like "go on, have some bacon, no-one will know, I wont tell anyone" ect.

That used to really annoy me because she couldn't seem to understand that my veganism is a lifesyle choice based on deep personal beliefs, not just some diet that I can cheat on if no-one finds out about it.

It's people who do call themselves veg*n only to "cheat" and have some meat who get people believeing that.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I would call her vegan. Because, well, if I were vegan for 200 days now, and went back to eating dairy, I would still have been a vegan all that other time. But the "planning" of it is weird, and I find the whole thing ubercreepy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think its great that shes honest. If someone wants a steak I have no problems with that. Its probably most practical to call herself a vegan when 364 days a year she doesnt eat meat or dairy or eggs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I makes me wonder though. If you can be vegan all year except one day and then you eat steak, are you truly vegan the rest of the time? I know it is just once and all but I would wonder how strict they really were. Just something I would think about.

However if they are vegan or even just vegetarian the rest of the time that is still a step in the right direction and is much more than most people do.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts