VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mother bought pillsbury pizza minis and I was wondering if it was ok to eat it.

Ingrediants: Enriched flour, water, part skim mozzarella, provolone and romano cheese(modified milk ingrediants, bacterial cultures, salt, calcium chloride, microbial enzymes, lipaze), tomato paste, hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, sugar, dried yeast, modified corn starch, garic and onion powder, spice, calcium sulfate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, xanthan gum and I-Cysteine hydrochloride.

I was also wondering something. Most of the things I used to eat had cheese, how do I know what cheese is ok and which one's aren't when it's not written on the package?

I'm having trouble finding things that are ok because I'm not totally sure what to look out for so I try to stick to pastas, peanut butter sandwiches, and fruits and veggies.

Please help me!

Steph

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
When you're looking for cheez... if it says microbial enzymes or vegetable enzymes, then you're good. However, if it says rennet, no good. If it just says enzymes, could go either way - you'd have to call the company. There's a thread about veggie cheese somewhere....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank goodness I didn't eat it then...Is there a list of things that aren't ok? Like lipase, I didn't know that. Could someone please show me a list of things that aren't ok for vegeterians.

Thanks for the

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I didn't even know about lipase, but I don't eat any dairy so it's a non-issue.

I don't know of any lists.... not any that are completely comprehensive and that everyone agrees on, anyway.

Muffin, what grocery stores are near you?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

l-cystine is from human hair.

hydrogenated oils are horrible for your health.

The cheeses are made with cow's milk.
Thanx for the info...I had no idea that was human hair...eewww

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the list veg*nrunner!! I'l definetly check that list out when I do the groceries.

There are a few grocery stores where I live. There A&P, Independent and No Frills...I think that's it.

Another question, What do you guys do to get protein? My mother is really worried about that and I need something to shut her up...lol

I like eggs so that's good but now she's saying that I can't eat eggs everyday. So I need to find something else. Any Ideas??

·
Registered
684 Posts
One of the reasons I went vegan was actually because I didn't want to deal with all the rennety cheesey drama, and calling the companies and all that.

Actually, that's what pushed me over the edge. Wierd.

Anyway, sorry, I think everyone covered everything... But most stuff by Pillsbury is probably not going to be very veg-friendly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin_398 View Post

thanks for the list veg*nrunner!! I'l definetly check that list out when I do the groceries.

There are a few grocery stores where I live. There A&P, Independent and No Frills...I think that's it.

Another question, What do you guys do to get protein? My mother is really worried about that and I need something to shut her up...lol

I like eggs so that's good but now she's saying that I can't eat eggs everyday. So I need to find something else. Any Ideas??
well technically theres protein in 99.9% of the things we eat, although in fruits and vegetables ttheres hardly any.

www.nutritiondata.com is a very good source if you want to see the nutrition content of foods in various quantities.

also foods that are rich in protein are WHOLE grains, WHOLE pastas, legumes, nuts, borwn rice, and lentils.

·
Registered
379 Posts
actually i kind of lied. dark leafy greens contain LOTS of protein on a basis of calories. in fact, 100 calories lettuce has more protein in it then 100 calories of sirloin!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't know about glucose....now I feel really stuck...most things (like juice)have glucose in it....HELP!!!!

I'll look in the recipe section but I'm a college student and I can't really spend more then 20-30$ on food per week.

If anyone has any ideas please post!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

actually i kind of lied. dark leafy greens contain LOTS of protein on a basis of calories. in fact, 100 calories lettuce has more protein in it then 100 calories of sirloin!
Yes, I have heard that before. It has to be dark and leafy though. Eating only iceberg lettuce will do you no good nutritionally.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Personally, if it doesn't *say* it's vegetarian I tend to avoid it, out of laziness more over anything. Why would a company not label something as vegetarian, if it was? It would just throw off potential customers. I'm in the UK so I don't know - but over here the labels are really simple. All the cheese etc I eat is just labeled as vegetarian, so I don't have so sift through the ingrediants with a fat ass list !
Although, when I do, I'm shocked at what the hell they put in food!

Meat extract in coconut cream? WHAT FLAVOUR WERE THEY *GOING* FOR? teehee x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts