VeggieBoards banner

Is this chocolate vegan if it may contain microscopic particles of milk?

• vegan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not vegan

• do not know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you vote please read and give me your opinion.

I run a vegan chocolate truffle business. I am vegan and very, very environmentally friendly. The problem is this:-

I use organic dark chocolate that is made by a different company that has a factory with two machines. One is for dark chocolate (with vegan ingredients) and the other is for milk chocolate. The only thing connecting these machines is the air in the factory, otherwise they are completely independent of each other. The problem is that the milk chocolate machine uses a very fine milk powder and some of these milk powder particles can potentially be caught in the air currents. This milk powder MAY find its way into the dark chocolate machine. The company tells me that if this was to happen it would be at most a few parts per million. Because this event could happen the chocolate has to be labelled as "may contain milk" and therefore legally not vegan.

So given all this would you still consider the dark chocolate to be vegan?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I personally would be fine with it. But if it can't be labeled "vegan" won't that hurt your business? Can you find another supplier - one which doesn't use milk products in the same room?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Yes. I would simply add the "may contain traces of milk" to your product's label in order to inform those who have milk allergies. But sure, send me the next lot you make and I will test your product by seeing how much chocolate I must eat before my lactose intolerance kicks in.

Where're you located. I don't think there are that many laws in the US concerning the word "vegan", but I would ask an attorney to be sure.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm vegan and I would eat them. I saw them on your website and they sure do look yummy.
Do you ship to the U.S.?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those that have asked I sadly cannot ship to the USA because of problems the EU (I'm in UK) has with your country having trade restrictions and the issues over exporting food. Thanyou for the requests though.

As a point on allergy suffers it is a wierd one because I use wheat syrup that according to the coeliac society it is safe for gluten intolerants and coeliacs to eat them. There are very, very few allergy sufferers that would be this sensitive, one of them being nuts. I do have the warnings though, both for legal reasons and for the "just in case" reason. One thing this has made me realize is that all the food I have been avoiding which has had this "may contain" labelling I can now eat again.

Someone asked if there was other suppliers of vegan chocolate. Yes there are but only one that is organic and that only comes with a 70% cocoa content and I use both a 70% and a 55% in every chocolate to get the right flavour.

Thankyou for your replies and votes though, it is encouraging to know that my core-market is not being put off by this annoying potential contamination. I'm sure some vegans will be put off but I prefer to have use an organic chocolate and a truffle that stands out as being not bitter. I suppose it is a price I have to pay for being a flavour perfectionist.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Yes. I would simply add the "may contain traces of milk" to your product's label in order to inform those who have milk allergies.
Right. This note is on most dark chocolates, but I buy them anyway, since the chocolate is not actually made using dairy. Then again, I'm not used to seeing the word "vegan" (which is the same in German, just pronounced "vay-gun", hehe) on vegan products, only very few (health food) companies actually put it on their packages. First time I saw it on a conventional product (frozen stirfry veggie mix) I was almost shocked (but happy that slowly some companies are becoming aware that there are vegans = also potential customers out there).

I don't think not being able to put the word vegan on the package (check with an attorney specialized on this matter though) should not be too much of a problem if you inform your potential customers accurately on the actual ingredients you use. That way you can advertise it as vegan without using the term itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

But sure, send me the next lot you make and I will test your product by seeing how much chocolate I must eat before my lactose intolerance kicks in.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I would eat it but I don't know the actual criteria that something needs in order be be "vegan". Can it only be labeled vegan if it is not made on the same machinery/same room as non-vegan products? I thought it was only a problem for allergy sufferers.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ah...karen posted what I was just about to say. There are chocolates here in the UK that say "suitable for vegetarians/vegans", but also have the "may contain traces of milk" on the label.

As for the actual issue, I don't think many vegans would have trouble consuming this kind of chocolate.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Ah...karen posted what I was just about to say. There are chocolates here in the UK that say "suitable for vegetarians/vegans", but also have the "may contain traces of milk" on the label.

As for the actual issue, I don't think many vegans would have trouble consuming this kind of chocolate.
Well well well that sounds fantastic!!! Just got in contact with the trading standards and awaiting their reply so hopefully I can get away with it too.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I'll see if I can check what brand it was. I'm pretty sure it was on the chocolate covered marzipan.

marzipan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts