VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having a weird possible medical issue, and I wondered if it might be B12 deficiency and thought maybe someone here might know.

Since last night I've been having quite a bit of dizziness/ loss of balance. It's a little scary - I feel a bit like I'm drunk, except I haven't had alcohol in over a week. When I looked up the symptoms, a B12 deficiency was mentioned as possibly causing this, which is why I'm wondering about it. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It's true I haven't been paying attention to getting B12, other than occasionally remembering to take a multivitamin and using nutritional yeast. I thought it took a few years to use up your B12 before having to worry about it.

I've been vegetarian for a little over a year and have kind of been sliding into veganism over the past few months. The other symptoms of B12 deficiency - fatigue, depression, paleness - are so vague it's hard to guess if it's actually something to worry about or if it's some weird thing that will pass in a day or two. It might have nothing to do with diet, and maybe I'm just getting the flu or a migraine or something. But I don't feel sick otherwise.

Do you think this could be diet-related? Should I be worried or might it go away on its own?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
How's your breathing? Any chance you're hyperventilating?

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
dizziness/ loss of balance is a combo that can be caused by lots of things, it might be as simple as vertigo. If its the BPPV type theres an exercise to fix it, the canalith repositioning procedure. The time I got strong BPPV it freaked me out too until I figured out something just shook loose in my ear, lol.
(If theres nausea too, crystalized ginger helps)

If theres other symptoms you might want to mention them. You say you dont feel sick otherwise so that sounds good but just to clarify, is there no general weakness, muscle fatigue, loss of stamina, tingling in the fingers or toes, seeing lights, passing out, or any other symptoms that might be connected?
Dizziness is one of the bodys less specific warning signals

·
Registered
0 Posts
Can you go to the doctor? That might be a bit better than counting on us to figure this out. Mind you I'm a fine one to talk....I hate going to the doctor myself and avoid it at all turns. So, hmmm are you dizzy and the room is spinning around? Maybe you are suffering from inner ear infection/inflammation and that can give your brain mixed up messages so that you fell super dizzy. As for a B12 deficiency, if you're only sliding towards veganism, than you haven't had time to develop a deficiency. Good luck, go see a doctor.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
As I understand it, you're correct: a year or so of vegetarianism/veganism is not enough time to develop a B-12 deficiency (unless maybe your stores were low to begin with).

But what Dieselsmom said: most of us here aren't physicians. If there's some sort of health issue developing with you, you need to see a doctor or nurse.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
It typically takes a vegan about 5 years to develope a B12 deficiency, if s/he doesn't supplement or eat supplemented foods, so I doubt your symptoms are B12 related. But you might want to see a doctor and get an evaluation. It couldn't hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts