VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Not me I'm talking about.

In the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, they talk about bio-individuality, and not one diet is right for everyone.....that people have to find what works best for them...I believe I know what kind of diet is best with small modifications for optimal health...it's in the general health forum....but anyway....

I want to know if that can really be true? Is there any real reasons someone can't be veg other than because of their personal food choices and food addiction?

Why do vegans go back to being ovo-lacto vegetarians, or go back to meat consumption at all.

I find this concept hard, because once I did it, I find it to be very easy and enjoyable.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Someone I was talking to recently told me he had a lot of friends that were vegan at one point or another and EVERY one of them became anemic and were told by their doctors that they just couldn't be vegan or even vegetarian. I held back telling him it sounds like he has a lot of friends that just couldn't stick with it and made up the same poor excuse.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I've often wondered this too, since I come from a long line of avid meat eaters but experienced no problems at all going vegan. Quite the opposite actually.

I think the vast majority of people who claim they couldn't go vegan for health reasons were doing it wrong. Either by not eating enough calories and then blaming the lack of animal products for feeling dizzy, or eating too much junk food, or not supplementing B12 etc.

That being said I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, it's possible there are rare cases where someone has health issues that severely restrict their diet or something. It's even possible that in some very rare cases people might have a genetic quirk that inhibits their ability to absorb nutrients properly from plant sources, this is 100% speculation but I had the thought because I recently read this article about how a lot of divisive food preferences (things like grapefruit or cilantro that you either love or hate) are actually caused by slight genetic differences: http://scienceline.org/2011/04/dont-...me-your-genes/

Again, that's only speculation but it's an interesting idea anyway. Even if that were the case I doubt people like that would be too common, so many people really thrive on a vegan diet and experience great health benefits.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
I can speak for myself in this, I've got sensitive bowel syndrome, and due to that I already had a b12 problem when I was omni as I have trouble absorbing enough b12 (and zinc, iron, and vit D). I only found out about these shortages when I went vegan and got intense cravings for meat that were so strong I hardly could resist. I did ofcourse resist, I'm still a veggie.

I let myself get tested for lack of vitamins due to the symptoms i was experiencing (tiredness, feeling cold, depressed, weak, meat cravings etc) and it turned out I had a b12 level that was so low it was dangerous, but as I was only veg*n for 6 months it couldn't be that, but it is related to my sensitive bowel syndrome and was likely already there for years. Due to the shortages of vitamins and the cravings I had, I've decided to just be vegetarian for now and not strive for veganism yet. Maybe in the future again though when I'm sure my health can take it.

However, since I supplement b12 every day and eat vegetarian, my b12 levels have gone back to normal, and I don't see why anyone couldn't at least be vegetarian. I can be, even with my absorption problems, so I figure most other people can aswell (maybe not some people with severe allergies for fruit and veg but almost anyone can eat SOME of those). And I guess, that people who don't have this kind of illness, should be able to go vegan with the same ease.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the only thing that could prevent someone going vegetarian or vegan is some health issue. People can be allergic to the most bizarre things nowadays - they could be unable to eat some foods that give them the proper nutrients.
The average person can definitely go veg. As everyone else has said, unless you're a "Junk Food Vegetarian/Vegan" there should never be a problem

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I want to know if that can really be true? Is there any real reasons someone can't be veg other than because of their personal food choices and food addiction?
'Lo Jess

The Dalai Lamma and Ghandhi are both reported to have messed up their digestive systems with unbalanced diets (fruit and nuts alone, I believe) whilst experimenting with extreme 'non harm' diets.

Gandhi ended up having to consume milk and the DL's is well documented as believing that he has to eat meat as a result.

Logicaly if an unbalanced vegan diet can do that then an unbalanced omni diet could do the same thing.

It may be that some people genuinely have messed up their systems, one way or t'other, so that they cannot survive on a veg*an diet.

Whether or not anyone is actualy born that way I very much doubt.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input......this was the original FB post made by someone on another person's post, that made me really start to wonder why people say this..........

"Wishing I could be more vegan. Turns out that I need to have that animal protein (small of amounts of quality protein, that is) in order to regulate my mood. Maybe if I'm a really good girl, I'll get there and make it with super foods. I'm workin' on it!.................(2nd post)-I know, I know, but I have to eat it (meat) at every meal. Small amounts, but it just seems wrong. I'm following the advise of my nutritionist and will try to use things like beans, quinoa and super foods like blue green algae. It's going to take some time - I've really got to regulate my blood sugar with foods in order to stay happy!"......

she had said in an earlier post that she needs mood stabilization. I responded that she probably needed fats in her diet instead of animal protein, and that animal protein didn't contain anthing specifically to stablize the mood....but the fat she would get from it.

I totally understand if someone has a B12 absorption issue or gastric issue, but for someone who is totally healthy, I'm wondering why people give up vegan eating (eliminating the philosophical part of it)

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Quote:

thanks for the input......this was the original FB post made by someone on another person's post, that made me really start to wonder why people say this..........

"Wishing I could be more vegan. Turns out that I need to have that animal protein (small of amounts of quality protein, that is) in order to regulate my mood. Maybe if I'm a really good girl, I'll get there and make it with super foods. I'm workin' on it!.................(2nd post)-I know, I know, but I have to eat it (meat) at every meal. Small amounts, but it just seems wrong. I'm following the advise of my nutritionist and will try to use things like beans, quinoa and super foods like blue green algae. It's going to take some time - I've really got to regulate my blood sugar with foods in order to stay happy!"......

she had said in an earlier post that she needs mood stabilization. I responded that she probably needed fats in her diet instead of animal protein, and that animal protein didn't contain anthing specifically to stablize the mood....but the fat she would get from it.

I totally understand if someone has a B12 absorption issue or gastric issue, but for someone who is totally healthy, I'm wondering why people give up vegan eating (eliminating the philosophical part of it)
She didn't specify the reasons she ''turned out to need meat'' ? I think that you can suggest her to eat less carbs, if she has diabetes. She doesn't have to go omni to stabilize her bloodsugar, she just needs to watch her refined sugar/refined carb intake and make sure she eats enough. Fats can help to feel satisfied longer, but she won't likely need meat. However, I'm no professional, did she hear that from a doctor?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave her Furhman and Dr Hyman's sites to look at, since neither are exclusive of meat, but mostly vegetables.
Is it will power, or are there really internal drives (again, not incuding medical conditions?) I really wish I had a better handle on that.

We have the typical non veg person who says, "oh, I could never give up meat"....that's a personal choice, but this person already has an understanding of veganism, and "feels bad" for eating meat every day, so I don't understand the bioindividuality part of IINs training. I'm going to have a hard time grasping this concept, because I don't get it. WHY can't everyone be veg?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
So, she says she needs to eat meat every day at every meal or she'll get depressed? Okay, that sounds really weird and might be more of a mental issue than an actual health problem...

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

So, she says she needs to eat meat every day at every meal or she'll get depressed? Okay, that sounds really weird and might be more of a mental issue than an actual health problem...
I got depressed too, it's a common thing that happens when someone has a b12 deficiency. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. She says she needs to control her bloodsugar (low blood sugar can indeed make someone moody and grumpy) ; eating meat does nothing for that. Eating less sugary foods does help there, as it stabilizes the blood sugar.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In my experience, there are only a small number of people who truly cannot be vegan for health reasons, and many more who "can't" because it's not realistically a comfortable diet for their own day-to-day living.

I have met a few people who claim they could not be vegan for health reasons, and after some discussion I tend to see that it is not that they "CAN'T" be vegan, per say, but that it would not be convenient or manageable for them on a daily basis. Due to allergies (soy, gluten, particular strains of vegetables, etc), digestion discomfort, whatever the issue, the range of foods they could eat as a vegan would be small, and therefore they feel they "can't" possibly be vegan (happily, comfortably, healthily, etc)

I have only met one person who really, truly, due to medical reasons, could not be vegan. There was just no way - he is in his 60s and has severe food allergies to most things, including many vegetables, and pretty much subsisted on a diet of plain meat and plain rice and the few kinds of plain vegetables that his body could digest.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I have read about vegans that stop having a vegan diet because of health problems but they are never really clear about what the problems are and how animal protein could solve them. I did meet a vegetarian the other day that had a vitamin B12 deficiency and had to have B12 injections but as non-vegans can get this deficiency too it is usually an issue of absorption I think?

I did visit an acupuncturist that told me that certain people thrive on a meat-free or dairy-free diet and that some people would have a failure to thrive (but I don't know if this is actually true!
)

I would think as other people have said already that allergies may seriously hamper an attempt to eat a plant based diet if it was extremely limited.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only things I see creating problems for a vegan diet are severely limiting allergies and I met one person who required a feeding tube and literally could not do anything for himself (including speaking). I won't judge him for whatever someone else puts in his stomach.

So yes, the cases in which veganism is not an option for health reasons are very limited.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I think there are some extreme cases of serious disease, genetic conditions, and so forth that could make eating an entirely plant based diet difficult or impossible, but being vegan isnt necessarily about eating 100% purely animal-free. If someone is committed to living as cruelty-free as possible and works towards that end then they're vegan even if they can't survive on a 100% plant diet.

But I think most people who say "I can't be vegan" and cite health reasons are people who just aren't interested in finding a vegan solution to whatever their issue was/is.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:

I believe there is nothing better to regulate mood than a dish of lentils! Seriously... it is great stuff for moods. Perhaps you could suggest it to her...

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
We had a member here who was not able to be veg*n because her body did not produce enough of it's own cholesterol to be healthy. She was told that she had to have some from an outside source or she was going to be in trouble. She chose to eat wild caught salmon once a week or so, if I remember correctly. She was a highly valued member and Michael was fine with her staying on VB after her diagnosis. But she really couldn't be veg*n.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's interesting Poppy...wonder what the condition was actually called...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Is there really no vegan source of cholesterol at all? I knew that being vegan greatly reduced it, but I didn't know it was completely eliminated. Interesting.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Apparently your body makes a substantial amount of cholesterol by itself. The other sources come from the foods you eat. Many omnis have higher than desired cholesterol levels because of the combination of both the foods they eat and their inherited cholesterol production. Even vegans can have high cholesterol if they have that inheirted tendency. But if you eat no cholesterol, and your body doesn't make a sufficient amount, you can be in trouble. I don't remember exactly what condition our former member had, but here's one example of that kind of disease.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts