VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite cereal since childhood is Lucky Charms. Now that I don't eat meat, I can't eat Lucky Charms because of the marshmallows.

Is there a cereal similar to Lucky Charms that uses vegan marshmallows? Or does anyone know how to make vegan marshmallows crunchy like the ones in Lucky Charms? Someone suggested freeze drying them, but I'm looking for conformation that's how to make them crunchy.

See where I'm going with this? If there was some way I could take the vegan mini marshmallows in my cabinet, make them crunchy, then I could take a tasty vegan cereal, add the vegan marshmallows, and enjoy.

This is a real problem for me. Giving up meat, I never thought I'd have to give up Lucky Charms. They're magically delicious!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I'm pretty sure they use gelitan, Iria. This site lists gelitan as being in the marshmallows.

clarkperks, good luck, I've never been able to find any vegetarian marshmallows other than the super expensive kind in online vegan stores.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hmm. My one vegetarian friend eats them religiously, and I know she's checked the ingredients. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Edit: Woah, I just checked a real box and it had gelatin too. I don't really want to tell my friend. That's all she has for dinner half the time. She'll starve!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Hmm. My one vegetarian friend eats them religiously, and I know she's checked the ingredients. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Edit: Woah, I just checked a real box and it had gelatin too. I don't really want to tell my friend. That's all she has for dinner half the time. She'll starve!
maybe it would be best not only for her morals but for her health to inform her of the gelatin lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I used to love Lucky Charms, too. I havn't had them in years! If you find a vegan alternative, please please let me know!
My best plan right now is to have some vegan mini marshmallows freeze dried and then combine them with Alphabits (or whatever) to create a vegetarian faxcimile of Lucy Charms.

Just trying to confirm that Lucky Charms marshmallows are - in fact - freeze dried.

If I get it to work, you'll be the first to know!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I told her and she said that they must use synthetic gelatin because she read in a vegetarian magazine that they were safe and the same magazine says the gelatin used in pills and things is synthetic and has no animal products.

I don't think she's right, but I've done my part and shared the info.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Please do! I now have a craving for those charms, and if your experiment works out then I am definitely making my own.

About the vegan marshmallows... can they only be ordered online? I went to Whole Foods and other veg-type places and they only kind they had were made with fish gelatin (because that is obviously better).

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Nope, there are no vegan Lucky Charms.

I'm sure she's not right either Iria, although I'm not bothered by gelatin. You can still be a vegetarian like me and eat the boiled skin and tendons of animals.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamonkey View Post

About the vegan marshmallows... can they only be ordered online? I went to Whole Foods and other veg-type places and they only kind they had were made with fish gelatin (because that is obviously better).
It's because they're Kosher marshmallows, not vegetarian marshmallows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VeganSweets Vegan Marshmallows are vegetarian. Don't know if their Kosher, but their definately vegetarian.

The ingredients are: Sugar (non-bone-char processed), corn syrup, agar-agar, carrageenan, soy protein, natural vanilla flavor.

Definately vegan. Took me forever to find them and I think they are the only vegan marshmallow out there.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkperks View Post

VeganSweets Vegan Marshmallows are vegetarian. Don't know if their Kosher, but their definately vegetarian.

The ingredients are: Sugar (non-bone-char processed), corn syrup, agar-agar, carrageenan, soy protein, natural vanilla flavor.

Definately vegan. Took me forever to find them and I think they are the only vegan marshmallow out there.
I was referring to the ones at Whole Foods containing fish gelatin. The ones you speak of are both vegan and Kosher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To everyone wondering whether the gelatin in Lucky Charms marshmallows is animal-derived: I called up General Mills and they said the gelatin is made from pork skin. :(
Notably frosted miniwheats also contain gelatin. They were a staple of my diet for years, and I just found out this winter :p

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarion View Post

To everyone wondering whether the gelatin in Lucky Charms marshmallows is animal-derived: I called up General Mills and they said the gelatin is made from pork skin. :(
Notably frosted miniwheats also contain gelatin. They were a staple of my diet for years, and I just found out this winter :p
There is an off-brand of frosted wheats that I often find in regular stores. I think it's Ralston. It doesn't have gelatin, but probably milk stuff.
I bought it years ago and no longer have a taste for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.