VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ETA: This should be a support thread for those NOT wanting to SI, and who don't glorify it. Maybe there should be some rules to this thread. Such as those who think SI is ok and a positive thing shouldn't be allowed to post here. Also, methods of SI shouldn't be discussed, as they may be triggering and in some cases may "teach" people ways of doing it. Anyone agree?

On VB for self injury support? I did a couple searches and didn't find anything. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Intentionally... sorry if this isn't appropriate.. but I know there's support threads here for other stuff, so just wondering. As everything I type, delete if necessary and sorry for the bother, I'm not trying to be..whatever.. just wondering.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Someone very close to me went through a period of self injury. What little I know of it has to do with masking some kind of internal pain by causing physical pain. It appears to have been a one time phase and I think he is ok now. Whether it's you or someone you know, I hope you have someone who is a professonal to talk to.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have gone through a time where I self-harmed too, and still occasionally do it now.

Feel free to PM me if you need/or want to talk.

·
Banned
6 Posts
"I hope you have someone who is a professonal to talk to. "

I know you mean well, but I find that kinda thinking frustrating. The whole idea of "professional help" is a scam. "Therapists" don't have any special insight into the human condition, and there is no proof that 'therapists' offer anything that a close friend couldn't.

"Therapy" is a a cultural myth. It's a ceremony. A ritual.

a therapist is an expensive friend, a friend an inexpensive therapist.

A family who prompts a troubled member to seek "professional help" is shirking its responsibilities. "Therapy", "professional help" can only exist in an age that has outsourced the supportive role of family of friends. Of course, you're not related so you've no real duties to MZ. BUt when/if her family, her close friends, tell her to do so - and I'm talking generically here - it's mock concern.

To tell someone to seek "professional help", if you are supposed to be close to that person, is much like saying "sort yourself out, but don't bother me with your troubles".

Therapy is the least harmful of pharmocracy tools but its still a huge contrick, a swindle.

If anyone wants links critical of the pseudo science that is psychiatrry, pm me.

---

With respect to the original poster, what exactly do you want? I self harm and see it as a totally legitimate thing to do to my body.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateversays View Post

"I hope you have someone who is a professonal to talk to. "

I know you mean well, but I find that kinda thinking frustrating. The whole idea of "professional help" is a scam. "Therapists" don't have any special insight into the human condition, and there is no proof that 'therapists' offer anything that a close friend couldn't.

"Therapy" is a a cultural myth. It's a ceremony. A ritual.

a therapist is an expensive friend, a friend an inexpensive therapist.

A family who prompts a troubled member to seek "professional help" is shirking its responsibilities. "Therapy", "professional help" can only exist in an age that has outsourced the supportive role of family of friends. Of course, you're not related so you've no real duties to MZ. BUt when/if her family, her close friends, tell her to do so - and I'm talking generically here - it's mock concern.

To tell someone to seek "professional help", if you are supposed to be close to that person, is much like saying "sort yourself out, but don't bother me with your troubles".

Therapy is the least harmful of pharmocracy tools but its still a huge contrick, a swindle.
In your opinion, you mean.

---

Quote:
With respect to the original poster, what exactly do you want? I self harm and see it as a totally legitimate thing to do to my body.
(bold mine)

that last thing you should do is give advice. IMO.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

In your opinion, you mean.

---

(bold mine)

that last thing you should do is give advice. IMO.
I would be happy for you to prove to me that "therapy" is more than ritualised conversation.

It's not "treatment", no more than my phoning a friend up when I am low is. Metaphorically, both might be thought of as 'treatment' but, literally , it's just talking. Homo loquens- man the talking animal. We've always talked.

When someone dons a white coat, buys into the nomenclature of one fraudalent field or another (Freudianism, say), adds a few props, it only gains in symbolic power: nothing medical has been introduced.

Believing that there is such a thing as "professional help" is dangerous. It leads to:

For you:

A. Harmful, toxic drugs that fry the brain and nulls one's emotional life whilst posing as 'medication'. One should never, ever take antidepressants - these are poisonous chemical straight jackets that are no less safe than a lobotomy (even if less conspicous).

B. In 'therapy', it leads to unequal power relations in which the 'therapist' holds all the cards. Also, 'therapy' is reknown for attracting perverts of all colours who sexually harrass female clients. One should turn to friends, not fraudsters feigning special insight into the human mind when, in fact, they know nothing of any worth.

For others:

A. It creates scapegoats. You family can pass you off as a lost cause t o others because they do not care enough/ are not capable enough of 'helping' you themselves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went through a time when i cut. Its really easy to rationalize it...I always told myself "I'm not hurting anyone" "I don't cut too deep." I stopped though. My sister saw my arm and told me i was just trying to get attention. Believe me, attention is usually the last thing cutters want, and therapy usually doent help. The person has to want to get better. No therapist can convince you.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
From my own experience, medication can help, and is not poison. Medication alone isn't the whole answer, either.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

What I want is support. I personally do NOT see SI as a legitimate thing to do to my body, and when I'm feeling like I want to hurt myself I want somewhere to go to be able to vent and help myself to not self harm. (hopefully can give support to others as well)

Anyway, TY to those who have shared their experiences and offered their support... I'm waiting for a phone call so I need to go, I'll get back to all this later.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Judging from some of your other posts on VB, you sound like a warm, caring, family oriented person. I hope things work out for you and that you find the help you need, whatever that may be. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

What I want is support. I personally do NOT see SI as a legitimate thing to do to my body, and when I'm feeling like I want to hurt myself I want somewhere to go to be able to vent and help myself to not self harm. (hopefully can give support to others as well)

Anyway, TY to those who have shared their experiences and offered their support... I'm waiting for a phone call so I need to go, I'll get back to all this later.
I don't have experience with this, but I will offer support - in that I am someone you can come to if you'd like to talk/vent/whatever. Self injury is a dangerous and harmful thing to do to yourself. Please don't hesitate to PM me or anyone else here you feel may be a good listener. You may want to talk to someone in person about this, too. Have you thought of speaking to a professional, like Karen suggested? We can help you and provide support by listening, but to get the real help you need, you should see someone who knows more about self harm and emotional/psychological issues. Please keep us updated, okay? There are a lot of people here that care about you.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Perhaps you've had a bad experience with therapy, or perhaps you've just been misled, but therapy CAN be beneficial, and without the traps listed below. Lots of people see a therapist without consuming pharmaceuticals, or developing sexual issues.

Sure, there probably are perverts in white coats, but there are also freaks in police uniforms, teachers' attire, or a Burger King uniform. As far as therapist only "feigning" special insight. Well, that's not what most therapists would say. They don't have some special gift, just good training.

Therapy can be a great tool when used well.

Quote:

I would be happy for you to prove to me that "therapy" is more than ritualised conversation.

It's not "treatment", no more than my phoning a friend up when I am low is. Metaphorically, both might be thought of as 'treatment' but, literally , it's just talking. Homo loquens- man the talking animal. We've always talked.

When someone dons a white coat, buys into the nomenclature of one fraudalent field or another (Freudianism, say), adds a few props, it only gains in symbolic power: nothing medical has been introduced.

Believing that there is such a thing as "professional help" is dangerous. It leads to:

For you:

A. Harmful, toxic drugs that fry the brain and nulls one's emotional life whilst posing as 'medication'. One should never, ever take antidepressants - these are poisonous chemical straight jackets that are no less safe than a lobotomy (even if less conspicous).

B. In 'therapy', it leads to unequal power relations in which the 'therapist' holds all the cards. Also, 'therapy' is reknown for attracting perverts of all colours who sexually harrass female clients. One should turn to friends, not fraudsters feigning special insight into the human mind when, in fact, they know nothing of any worth.

For others:

A. It creates scapegoats. You family can pass you off as a lost cause t o others because they do not care enough/ are not capable enough of 'helping' you themselves.

·
Banned
6 Posts
veggiejanie said:
Self injury is a dangerous and harmful thing to do to yourself. QUOTE]

Why, exactly?

The chances are, the post starter isn't going to do any serious bodily harm to herself unless she has access to, say, surgeon's scalpals. Most people break the blades from shavers, or use scissors and - to be blunt - such instruments aren't likely to do any meaningful damage to the body.

As for pyschologically, if cutting helps her - why is it necessarily "wrong"? You say it is. Most self harmers will kinda agree because they've been drip fed the message, from media, from society, from family, that they need to "stop" what they are doing - it can be seen in a positive light and not a 'problem' to 'cure'.

But I don't see any reason why she should do. It's her body, and she should do what she wants with it. Cutting oneself can be a healthy, productive and useful means for handling stress.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am really surprised that you aren't banned, whateversays. The things you are saying may be triggers for others reading this thread, and your claims are false. I hope the mods take the appropriate action to deal with you.

Harming your body in the form of scratching, cutting, or any other method is harmful. Period. It doesn't matter what the tool is or how severe the damage. The fact of the matter is it IS damage done to the body and to the self.

Your last sentence made me cringe. It is NOT healthy, it is NOT productive, and it is NOT useful. There are many forms of healthy stress relief - ones that do not include hurting yourself.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Self harm is a way of trying to cope with the pressures of life which have become too hard for the person who is self-harming.

Self harm is always connected with low self-esteem. Self harmers feel "dead" inside and the pain helps to remind them that they are alive.

It is dangerous and can sometimes lead to attempting suicide. I think professional help is very important. There is some deep deep hurt inside.

As to whateversays: I feel very sorry for you. Your viewpoint on self-harming is warped. You need help badly too.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts