VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a newby with a question. Haven't been able to find out anything as to whether this is a veggie diet problem or something else. Was hoping time would sort it out, but no luck. Can anyone help?

Basically, my vegetarian daughter of 18 months is still having very liquedy diapers. It looks like she constantly has diarrhoea. Is there anything I can give her to make them more solid? She eats a varied vegetarian diet.

Many thanks,

Lily

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.

She lost some weight around 8 months and has slowly gained again and is doing fine now. She is still breastfeeding. Eats porridge or ceral for breakfast, lots of fresh fruit and veg, pulses, pasta, yoghurt and other dairy, occasional soya and quorn products, bread, rice. Very little sugary products. Drinks just water (other than bm). The majority of her food is homemade. I cut back on wholewheat a few months ago and this reduced the number of diaper changes, but not the type. Every health professional I've mentioned it to just assumes it's her veggie diet. Are most veggie babies like this?

Lily

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm no expert, but a few months ago I read up on water poisoning (when that woman died after a radio stunt) and it said that babies are not supposed to be given water. I'm not sure if it's OK for 18 month olds, this was talking about babies, but I'd check that out. Also, there is a lot of research that dairy products can cause gastric/intestinal problems, so I'd cut out the dairy for a bit and see if it clears up. One source to read about this: http://www.goveg.com/lettuce_dairy.asp?pf=true

Of course, it could also be that she's got problems with some other food that she regularly gets (like wheat, peanuts, etc.), so you could try not giving her any of the suspected food for a few days and see if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking the loose nappies could be the milk. It can cause loose stools. Is she still having being fed lots during the day?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it's fine to give water to an 18month old. She started with water around 8 months and just bm prior to that. We did ease up on dairy at one point, but have never cut out completely. Guess I could try that.

From the replies, I'm taking it that her diapers are not the norm for a veggie baby then? Don't know anyone else with a completely veggie baby to ask.

From what I understand about wheat is that any effects would be far more pronounced and her weight gain would be very poor as well as her general wellbeing not being so great and neither of those apply. Maybe I'm wrong though.

She nurses a few times during the day, but on days when she has nursed less and during drops in my milk supply there hasn't been any change to her diapers.

Thanks for all the replies. I was assuming it was just the general veggie diet, but looks like I need to investigate a bit more.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I wouldn't say its a veggie diet, no. And I do disagree that babies be given water. They need healthy calories for their growing brains and bodies. Perhaps the water at 8 months is also why she slowed growth around then? She also doesn't sound like she's getting much fat in her diet - babies need fat DESPERATELY. Are you giving her flax oil, or avocado, or something to give her fat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My daughters have both been veg since birth and neither had diapers like that. I rarely give either of them just water. Maybe watered down juice. The older one, 2 1/2, drinks it occasionally, but prefers juice or milk.

I would ask your pediatrician, that doesn't sound normal. And if she isn't nursing all that much that is concerning that she has loose diapers. She might have an allergy to something????

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Most babies are vegetarian for the first bit of their lives

I've never heard of that problem from a vegetarian diet in a baby. Even Dr. Spock recommended a strict vegetarian diet for babies and toddlers.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
No veggie babies are not normally like this. You need to investigate this more. maybe her diet has too much fruit and water in it. it could be the dairy. are you giving her whole fat dairy? babies at this age need lots of fat in their diet, flax oil, avocado, whole fat dairy, etc. its extremely important for brain development.

it is ok to give her water at this age, but not too much, also if you give her juice you should dilute it and no more than 4 oz a day.

so to answer no her diapers arent normal for a veg baby and i dont get why your pediatrician is saying it is. consistant loose liquidy stools are a symptom of something else going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She gets lots of healthy fats when I cook her food and does eat avacado regularly. All the dairy is full fat. I don't think fat is the issue. She only drinks a little water. Mainly bm to drink.

We've planned a vegan menu for this week to see if it's the dairy. Just need some b'fast tips that are vegan if anyone has any. Will speak to the nurse this week and take it from there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Lillemor,

i would try oatmeal, cheerios, banana, cinnamon toast, vegan pancakes or waffles. my kids love all those things.

good luck and let us know how she does,

oh and there is a good vegan pancake recipe in the recipe thread if you need one,

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Lillemor - I also have an 18-month-old vegetarian "baby." We are also still breastfeeding.
Rest assured that your little one is getting plenty of good fats from the breastmilk, which has just as much fat as whole cow's milk (not to mention it's actually GOOD fat with lots of essential fatty acids).

We don't have a problem with loose, diarrhea-like stools and we feed our kids a vegan diet with lots of whole grains. Are her stools really like diarrhea or are they still like breastfed baby stools from when she was an infant? Occasionally my toddler will go on a breastfeeding kick where he doesn't eat a whole lot of solids, and then his stools will kind of revert back to that baby consistency. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it!

If it truly is a diarrhea-like consistency (watery with chunks...ewww), you might want to try eliminating dairy products for a week or two. If your baby is sensitive to dairy, that could be one of the symptoms. Worth a try!

btw, water is absolutely fine and good for an 18-month old! We introduced water at 6 months with both of our children (at the same time we introduced solid food). I think this is pretty standard and absolutely fine. It's good for kids to get used to the taste and feel of water at an early age, IMO.

Good luck! Nice to meet another veggie mama who is still breastfeeding her toddler!

Becky

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The op said her toddler only nurses a few times during the day and some days less, enough to affect her milk supply, so that is why some of us mentioned making sure the baby gets enough fat in her diet.

Lillemor , your baby may also be constipated, sometimes if there is hard impacted stool liquid comes out around it. just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spoke to a different nurse today and she had the honour of witnessing a diaper to be changed. She really didn't seem concerned because dd's weight and height growth is fine. She brought up fat and seemed happy that dd gets enough. She didn't think either dairy or wheat because of the weight/height gains and the fact dd has no pain. We will continue with cutting out diary for a week or so and then I will try wheat anyway, just to be sure it's not either of those. Nurse seemed to think it must just be her diet and to try more carrot and apply to firm it up a bit.

Chula: Gluton intolerance usually shows many more signs that just runny diapers which is why I never pursued the wheat avenue before. Also, many babies can't handle wholegrains but don't ness. have a problem with wheat as such. But I will cut out for a while to be sure.

Bonluvr: I was deliberatly ambiguous about how often she nurses as everyone has an opinion on that one. I am satisified she gets enough fat through her nursing and her food. I do appreciate you bringing it up though. Thanks also for the vegan breakfast suggestions (other than Cheerios as we boycott Nestle). Looking fwd to trying vegan pancakes.

Colorful: Yes it's lovely to meet another extended veggie breastfeeder. Also describing her diapers as diarrhoea is a wee bit of an exageration probably, but they are certainly far from solid. Even on the odd day when she has nursed less I see no change so it's not (just) the bm.

Thanks for all the replies. Am very happy to have found this site as although I've been veggie for 18 years it feels a bit different now with a veggie child.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Lillemor........if you have a Trader Joes near you they have Joe's O's which are really good, ( they are like cheerios).........they come in honey nut too!

I think its great you are still bf'ing........i mentioned it only because of the fat issue.

i still have to disagree with your nurse though, i just dont think runny diapers are normal. keep investigating the different foods in her diet.

good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a few thousand miles away I'm afraid so no Joes for me. Have been expressing milk and giving her that on her cereal for the moment. Thnx for the tip though.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I agree with some replies above that mention the milk. I can't see any real reason to give her cows milk if she's still breastfeeding. It's very hard on small stomachs (many of us are lactose intollerant through adulthood). I'd cut out dairy completely and see if that helps. I also agree more healthy fats.

B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts