VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I watched the documentary Forks over Knives on Netflix and it was really eye opening. I also just watched the transformation come over someone I know who switched to a raw food, vegetarian diet.

Here is my problem. I am worried about the taste of the food. I really like to cook good food and the "healthy" vege stuff I have tried in the past was just awful. No taste and terrible texture. I have a texture thing. Can't eat mushrooms because of that. Tried tofu and thought it was horrible. (Granted, it's been about 15 years and maybe there have been improvements in tofu...technology?)

I want to eat healthily but I don't want to eat awful food for the rest of my life either. If this is possible could someone steer me in the direction of a book, movie, post, diatribe... that will help me accomplish both?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Forks over Knives is what pushed me to a whole food plant based diet, been completely transforming for me as well.

I'm also love good food and to cook, it's my thing and always has been. I've actually eaten more good new to me food in the last 7 months than I probably did in the 5 years before that. One does not have to give up good food and the joy of eating just because one goes veg*n, I've actually found it to be the opposite.

Lots of books, websites to get recipes from including here. I will recommend the the FatFree Vegan Kitchen http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ and the happy herbivore cookbook. I've also found quite a few recipes at allrecipes.com, those that weren't quite veggie or fat free enough I just modified. I've got a 3 ring binder going for my keepers.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
There's a lot more to eat than tofu and mushrooms, although quite a few of us like both of those.

"Texture" covers quite a lot of ground; all the mushrooms I've had have been of a consistent texture but tofu is kind of versatile. What texture did you not like, and what are you looking for?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
What exactly is the virtue of being a "fat free" vegan again?

Study after study shows that many plant based oils are actually very beneficial to the human body and a critical part of plant based diets. Is it responsible or good nutrition to preach against them as if they were the spawn of satan?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Study after study shows that many plant based oils are actually very beneficial to the human body and a critical part of plant based diets. Is it responsible or good nutrition to preach against them as if they were the spawn of satan?
Well added oil. One can get plenty of good fats just eating the whole food. It's the route I prefer to go.

Edit to add the FatFree Vegan lady has some really good cashew sauces and tahini sauces, hardly fat free, but delish.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have never eaten better in my life since I went veg*n two years ago. I am currently losing weight and I always incorporate small amounts of healthy fats into my diet (ex
live oil, walnut oil, grapeseed oil, nuts). Also, for a lot of excellent veg*n recipes, check out www.vegweb.com.

Laura

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Forks over knives and food inc and alike got me thinking of where our food comes from, I tend to like fruits and veggies and rice and beans more then ever before.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have to wonder if people who are up in arms re: the name "fat free vegan" have ever even looked at her blog and recipes. She explains that it's not "fat-free" (besides, that would be impossible....all food has fat, even fruits, veggies, skim milk).

And if someone is on a whole-foods diet, it makes sense they wouldn't want to use oils. Oils are a refined "food." It doesn't mean the person is demonizing fat - it just means they are getting it from healthy sources that also have vitamins, minerals, FIBER, protein, carbohydrates. How about that - something other than just 100% calories from fat. Sheesh. *passes the almonds*

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarias View Post

I want to eat healthily but I don't want to eat awful food for the rest of my life either. If this is possible could someone steer me in the direction of a book, movie, post, diatribe... that will help me accomplish both?
There are plenty of tasty and healthy recipes out there. You don't need to eat tofu, or fake meat or fake cheese. Sometimes people think they need to replace the animal meat in their diet with fake meat. That's not necessary.

It is much easier to convert if you have experience in the kitchen and are willing to try new tastes. Here are some vegan food photo collections.... lots and lots of ideas:

My blog: Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

Finding Vegan

VegNews Magazine's Pinterest page

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I so agree with this but I think their point is added fats aren't necessary so get them from whole foods. I don't know, I use added fats. I eat coconut oil daily there have been studies (like you said) that show how healthy it is. I'm not buying coconuts (too expensive, hard to find here...etc) so I'll use the oil. Plus, it can be used in a LOT of applications.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Im quite like you and hate mushrooms, and the texture of some tofu. I find if you freeze tofu and then fry it, the texture is nice. If its fresh and squidgy then blergh. Some people are the opposite and hate it frozen though. Mushrooms however you cannot pay me to touch them.

All the same I was a vegetarian for about 4 years before I even touched a bit of tofu! So yeah its possible to live without those foods. I too second that Fat Free Vegan blog - the food is quite healthy but you certainly wouldnt know it from the taste haha.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Too many people are convinced that food can't taste good unless it has grease, salt or sugar. I eat plenty of healthy food that tastes fantastic to me and to others. I actually prefer my cooking to eating out (most of the time, lol). Take out some veg*n cookbooks from the library; a lot of them have great tips about veg*n cooking and what to stock your kitchen with. Also, I find that with the more whole foods I eat, the less tolerance I have for the taste of processed meals and desserts and added salt and fat -- except for dark chocolate. I love that stuff. I never would have thought that a bowl of raw spinach be so appealing, for example. Seriously. I love the stuff, and I don't even need to put salad dressing on it most of the time. Sometimes I eat with a handful of nuts, like walnuts or almonds, or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries (not the sugar-added ones). Talk about flavor. Once you get rid of the grease/salt/sugar film covering up your taste buds, you will discover just how delicious fresh whole foods can be.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

Too many people are convinced that food can't taste good unless it has grease, salt or sugar. I eat plenty of healthy food that tastes fantastic to me and to others. I actually prefer my cooking to eating out (most of the time, lol). Take out some veg*n cookbooks from the library; a lot of them have great tips about veg*n cooking and what to stock your kitchen with. Also, I find that with the more whole foods I eat, the less tolerance I have for the taste of processed meals and desserts and added salt and fat -- except for dark chocolate. I love that stuff. I never would have thought that a bowl of raw spinach be so appealing, for example. Seriously. I love the stuff, and I don't even need to put salad dressing on it most of the time. Sometimes I eat with a handful of nuts, like walnuts or almonds, or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries (not the sugar-added ones). Talk about flavor. Once you get rid of the grease/salt/sugar film covering up your taste buds, you will discover just how delicious fresh whole foods can be.
I gotta agree, what I like and don't like to eat has changed drastically. I do not like greasy food at all, I won't even eat the occasional french fry and while I still like salt I've cut way back.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I think the Standard American Diet has much less taste and texture than my present diet. I love all the new things I've discovered since going veg*n - especially international foods like Moroccan, Thai, Japanese, Middle Eastern and African.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had so much fun trying new recipes since going veg. As a meat eater it was always the same thing week after week and veggies were never the focus, always an afterthought. In the 231 days since becoming vegetarian, I've tried probably 50+ recipes, most of them being absolutely amazing. It has forced me to get creative and I am enjoying my food much more than I did before. Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Vegan diets are as varied as those of omnivores. One might love freezing tofu (ugh!) avocados (ugh!) or mostly raw foods.
You have to realize, meat is the king of the "usual" diet. Everything revolves around it's components.
Until you research the different ways to eat without interfering in the lives of others (others as in the animals involved), you'll never appreciate the "eureka" moment when your mind opens to a new world of flavors and textures. You'll find all those spices that are now found to relieve everything from indigestion, inflammation, etc. are the main components of cooking-not just gelatin capsules because no one knows how to use them. Most vegans do.
Don't dismay because you don't like suggestions-have you liked all the food you've been served previously?

I suggest browsing Amazons vegan cookbook selection. Most have a "look inside" feature you can browse.
Being vegan can mean eating meals that closely resemble 'meat and potatoes' as well as exotic. I think I've seen a book called "vegan meat and potatoes" or something like that.
Dont' quit! My first six months were spent learning. I ate a lot of poorly cooked grains and veggies before I found I was doing them wrong. Same for tofu. Tofu can be amazingly delicious!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts