VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
http://veganproducts.org/sugar.html

In America about 50% of cane sugar is put through bone char (a by product of slaughterhouses). Even 'brown sugar' can be from this process, getting it's color from molasses.
Raw sugar, organic sugar, or pure cane juice is vegan.
All beet sugar is vegan not needing to go through filtering.

I buy Pioneer brand sugar. It's on that list, although the bag doesn't specify beet. Cane sugar is often preferred by some due to it's something something having to do with baking. I can't tell.

It's rare that I buy treats that are vegan other than not knowing the source of sugar, and I don't really let myself care. Like Oreos.

It does vary in other countries, like I know the UK doesn't do that.

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://veganproducts.org/sugar.html

In America about 50% of cane sugar is put through bone char (a by product of slaughterhouses). Even 'brown sugar' can be from this process, getting it's color from molasses.
Raw sugar, organic sugar, or pure cane juice is vegan.
All beet sugar is vegan not needing to go through filtering.

I buy Pioneer brand sugar. It's on that list, although the bag doesn't specify beet. Cane sugar is often preferred by some due to it's something something having to do with baking. I can't tell.

It's rare that I buy treats that are vegan other than not knowing the source of sugar, and I don't really let myself care. Like Oreos.

It does vary in other countries, like I know the UK doesn't do that.
Is it the same in Canada as it is in the US? Do you know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are 3 main Canadian sugar companies- Redpath, Lantic and Rogers. Redpath sugar is vegan. Lantic sugar is also vegan. The Lantic and Rogers lines are owned by the same company. Most Rogers sugar is vegan- their Vancouver refinery uses bone char. If the inked code on the bag starts with 10 then it is made in the Vancouver refinery and it is NOT vegan. Any other number (usually 22) is OK.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would say there is a good chance it's the same here.....if not we share a lot of stuff anyways so.

Anyways all USDA organic sugar is vegan. All beet sugar is, and evaporated cane is. Inverted cane is not. If it just says "sugar" then who knows if it's vegan or not. At least as far as I know.

I emailed the people in charge of canada organic once to make sure it was vegan once but they never replied so I just avoid it. You can try if you'd like, and if they do reply to you let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts