VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello veggies!

I wanted to know whether OREO's are fully veggy-friendly??

One of the ingredients in question are Glucose Fructose Syrup, is it fully vegan?

Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hello veggies!

I wanted to know whether OREO's are fully veggy-friendly??

One of the ingredients in question are Glucose Fructose Syrup, is it fully vegan?

Thanks!
According to www.oreo.co.uk/faq , OREOs have milk as cross contact. I guess that's the only thing that doesn't make them vegan-friendly. I'd be more worried about the high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) that's in them however.

The glucose-fructose that is used in many of the processed foods stocked on the shelves of mainstream grocery stores today is usually made from genetically modified corn. YUCK!!!

Check out: http://www.facebook.com/BanOfHFCS and/or www.kingcorn.net

·
Plant Powered
439 Posts
From what I understand, the latest is that they cannot guarantee that the sugar they use is vegan friendly (i.e.: not processed with bone char). Therefore, technically, they would not be vegan friendly.

Newman O's are vegan though, and IMO, they are much tastier ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
This comes up quite a bit-I believe in the UK, and Canada, they contain milk products, but not US.
I'm not a fan, but I don't totally avoid sugar in foods I may be offered. I'm likely to accept an Oreo if I'm offered one and have a sweet craving,

I don't know what the difference between glucose-fructose and high fructose corn syrup, but I more avoid, but not completely abstain from HFCS. I'm the same with palm oil. There are occasions I buy something with it, but rare

US oreo ingrediants-
UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PALM, AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN(--)AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts