·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have:

-A granny smith apple
-A tangerine
-A nakd bar (usually the cocoa delight)
-About two handfuls of salad with salad cream (a lot of it)
-A mock ham sandwich with loads of lettuce (wholemeal bread)
-A soya yogurt dessert (either dark chocolate or vanilla)

Sometimes I might add a treat of Texas BQQsauce Pringles (so awesome that one out of the two vegan flavours is the best in the whole range!)

I'm a sweet tooth so I cant live without chocolate and sweet fruits like granny smith apples.
Please, judge as you will if this is healthy enough.

(£10 a week limit).

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
That's very healthy :)

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Large apple: 95 calories

Tangerine: 40 calories

Vanilla soy yogurt: 234 calories

Mock ham sandwich:
2 slices wholemeal bread: 161 calories, total
Lots of lettuce (7 leaves of romaine lettuce): 33 calories, total
Mock ham (Yves brand), 3 slices: 75 calories, total

Salad:
2 handfuls of salad (3 cups of romaine lettuce): 24 calories
Salad cream (1/2 cup of Italian dressing): 282 calories

The approximate total calories for this lunch is 944 calories. This may be a bit high, depending on your activity level.

Your food choices contain pretty well-rounded nutrition, but it's always better to eat fewer processed foods. The calories in the salad cream and sweetened yogurt may be a bit excessive.

You can look up the calorie and nutrition content of thousands of foods on this free website: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ . You can use the website without signing up for an account.

Reactions: Cyclone T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! :D
I've checked the caloric amounts for my meal with what I ate specifically and it was aright, just below 300.
Thanks for the help :)

·
Lovable misanthrope
1,398 Posts
David3 if IndigoHeart is a growing teenager than calorie intake needs to be higher than that of an average grown up, doesn't it?

I think it's very healthy. I'd replace Pringles with nuts and seeds or carrot sticks and hummous. But yes overall very healthy already

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I've checked the caloric amounts for my meal with what I ate specifically and it was aright, just below 300.
Less than 300 calories is not enough for lunch though...You don't need to actively cut calorie intake right down as a vegan...

Reactions: LedBoots

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts

Hi Indigo Heart,

Holy cow. If you're only eating 300 calories per meal, then you've got the opposite problem - you may not be eating enough calories. Depending on your gender and age, you should be eating 1800-2500 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active). Not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes that new vegans make, and the resulting fatigue is a reason why some new vegans quit the diet.

I didn't mean to nitpick in my first post. A 900 calorie meal (2700 calories per day) may be completely appropriate for you, depending on your level of physical activity. I would cut down on the empty calories, though (like the salad dressing).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have between 300-500 calories per meal. I downloaded a calorie counting app and so far I usually have between 1300-1500 calories a day but I don't feel hungry at all, in fact I was planning on cutting down my lunch menu a bit.
5"4 tall and 63kg. I think 250-600 calories per meal is alright for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Indigo Heart,

Holy cow. If you're only eating 300 calories per meal, then you've got the opposite problem - you may not be eating enough calories. Depending on your gender and age, you should be eating 1800-2500 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active). Not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes that new vegans make, and the resulting fatigue is a reason why some new vegans quit the diet.

I didn't mean to nitpick in my first post. A 900 calorie meal (2700 calories per day) may be completely appropriate for you, depending on your level of physical activity. I would cut down on the empty calories, though (like the salad dressing).
I do yoga for 30 minutes every morning, walk for about 30 minutes to and from school (about an hour a day of speed walking) and I'm going to start working out in the afternoons. Not extremely active.

I've followed your advice and switched salad dressing for organic houmous - it actually tastes 200% better!
I'll try to make sure that I eat more good stuff.
Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Less than 300 calories is not enough for lunch though...You don't need to actively cut calorie intake right down as a vegan...
I actually eat triple the amount I used to eat as an omnivore.
I always think 'vegan food has low calories so I have to eat a lot of it to feel full'.
Veganism is an excuse to eat a hell of a lot and not feel bad about it because what's been eaten is healthy.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I actually eat triple the amount I used to eat as an omnivore.
I always think 'vegan food has low calories so I have to eat a lot of it to feel full'.
Veganism is an excuse to eat a hell of a lot and not feel bad about it because what's been eaten is healthy.
That's ok then :)

·
Banned
9 Posts
That sounds great! Fresh fruit and bottled juices/smoothies are great for packed lunches! So are kale chips, seaweed, homemade smoothies (in a mason jar), soup in a thermos, salad in tupperware, veggies or pretzels w/ hummus, avocado sandwiches, any kind of vegan leftovers, vegetable sushi, just to name a few more ideas! If you're looking for other bars another great brand is Raw Revolution www.rawrev.com they are vegan gluten free organic and kosher!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts