VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I'm 15 and have been a vegetarian for 3 years. I have come to ask you all a question. For the last year and a half, I've had quite painful chronic stomach aches. The doctors haven't found anything despite a variety of tests. To get to the point; all I have to ask of you, is whether that could possibly have any correlation with my diet. Are there any vitamins that could, if not taken, cause this. I consider myself to be a relatively health eater, yet I do have Quorn for nearly every meal; does that mess with anything? If anybody would be able to answer (please), i'd be thoroughly grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read anyway: whether you're able to answer or not. :serious:

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
You don't need to eat Quorn at (nearly) every meal.

But we can't answer your question if we don't know what you eat during a week.

I know several (lifelong) vegetarians, and none of them has health problems which are caused by not eating meat. I don't eat Quorn at all.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quorn is made up of mycoproteins, something like mushrooms, and is known to cause digestive issues in some people, some pretty serious.
I'd suggest leaving it alone for at least two weeks and see how you feel!
Good luck!

Not an issue from what you don't eat though

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
And if that doesnt fix it, systematically test everything you routinely eat with emphasis on stuff thats new in the last two years.

I've got a cast iron stomach, I can happily eat tree bark and pine cones, but if I eat chocolate I'm in pain for 8 days straight. Some people are just sensitive to certain foods.

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
Hey everybody. I'm 15 and have been a vegetarian for 3 years. I have come to ask you all a question. For the last year and a half, I've had quite painful chronic stomach aches. The doctors haven't found anything despite a variety of tests. To get to the point; all I have to ask of you, is whether that could possibly have any correlation with my diet. Are there any vitamins that could, if not taken, cause this. I consider myself to be a relatively health eater, yet I do have Quorn for nearly every meal; does that mess with anything? If anybody would be able to answer (please), i'd be thoroughly grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read anyway: whether you're able to answer or not. :serious:
It's probably the Quorn and not the vegetarianism. If you get painful stomach issues, is it accompanied by severe gas? Do you have Irish or Scottish in your blood?

Celiac sprue is pretty rare, but that can be the issue also if it's accompanied by other things. You might have a sensitivity to the Quorn or to something else you eat regularly. Try subbing out other meat alternatives and see if the pain goes away within a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, try allergy tests. It might be a mild allergy to something you're eating.

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
Not to sound dumb, but what does this have to do with that? Do people with more Irish and/or Scottish in them have more Celiac Disease? Im just curious.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I've found the correlation in my nutritional practice, though I'm not sure if there are any conclusive studies about it. Nearly every celiac's patient I've seen, treated, or guided to diagnosis has had Irish/Scottish heritage, including my hubby.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've found the correlation in my nutritional practice, though I'm not sure if there are any conclusive studies about it. Nearly every celiac's patient I've seen, treated, or guided to diagnosis has had Irish/Scottish heritage, including my hubby.
Oh thats very interesting! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's probably the Quorn and not the vegetarianism. If you get painful stomach issues, is it accompanied by severe gas? Do you have Irish or Scottish in your blood?

Celiac sprue is pretty rare, but that can be the issue also if it's accompanied by other things. You might have a sensitivity to the Quorn or to something else you eat regularly. Try subbing out other meat alternatives and see if the pain goes away within a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, try allergy tests. It might be a mild allergy to something you're eating.
I've got celtic blood, my dad is Scottish.... what could that mean Alikai

1 - 11 of 11 Posts