VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is miso soup vegetarian? I thought I read somewhere that one of the ingredients in miso soup is something called bonito, which are dried fish flakes. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Miso itself is vegan, I've found it pretty easy to get my hands on (vegan) miso paste which is the base for making your own soup, or can be added to recipes etc.

Usually bonito is added to the stock part of the soup, so chances are if you are buying it ready made it isn't veg. Veg miso soup is easy enough to make, it just isn't the traditional way of doing it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Where abouts in the supermarket would you find Miso paste?

I've only seen Miso soup once at the supermarket, and it was "Chicken Miso"

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have seen miso paste with the refrigerated items in the natural foods section of the

grocery store, which is $$$, you can get it way cheap from the Asian Grocer in the refrigerated section. Miso is good for many things. I like Miso Mayo and Chef Deb uses it in her cheese recipes. I always have miso on hand, I usually get the white miso paste, which is the mildest.

Shannon

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Really? I always thought miso soup was generally miso paste in water. Heh. I just don't like it, so I never order it. Good thing - yuck on the fish flakes!

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
>>it just isn't the traditional way of doing it. >>

It is traditional in the sense that that's the way its been done at Zen Monestaries for hundreds of years. Do like they do and double the kombu in the broth, omit the bonito.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts