VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

he makers say the ice cream is pure, organic and totally natural A restaurant in London's Covent Garden is serving a new range of ice cream, made with breast milk.
The dessert, called Baby Gaga, is churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela.
Mrs Hiley, 35, said if adults realised how tasty breast milk was more new mothers would be encouraged to breastfeed.
Each serving of Baby Gaga at Icecreamists costs £14.
Mrs Hiley's donation was expressed on site and pasteurised before being churned with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest.
Icecreamists founder Matt O'Connor placed an advert appealing for breast milk donations and believes his new recipe will be a success.
\tContinue reading the main story\tStart Quote
What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?
End Quote \tVictoria Hiley \tMother \t\t
"If it's good enough for our children, it's good enough for the rest of us," he said.
"Some people will hear about it and go yuck - but actually it's pure organic, free-range and totally natural."
Mrs Hiley, who gets £15 for every 10 ounces of milk she donates to the company, said it was a great "recession beater".
"What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?" she added.
"I teach women how to get started on breastfeeding their babies. There's very little support for women and every little helps."
Mr O'Connor said 14 other women had come forward to offer their services. Health checks for the lactating women were the same used by hospitals to screen blood donors.
"No-one's done anything interesting with ice cream in the last hundred years," he added.
\t \t \t \t \t \tMore on This Story

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Yeah, it's vegan. I would be as likely to try it as I would semen cream.

Not interested in animal products, even human ones (especially from strangers).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Cow milk grosses me out. Breast milk grosses me out to the same extent. That stuff is made for babies. Can you think of how it would affect people who drank it regularly, or ate icecream made from it regularly? Gross.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That pisses me off.

That breastmilk should've been donated to a milk bank and used for mother's who struggle to breastfeed or can't. Instead she's profiting off of it.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
If you wanted to make ice cream out of your own breast milk, fine. But to buy it already made from another mother? No, I don't like the idea. I don't think it's immoral, though, I just don't like to think of someone making a profit from breast milk. Excess breast milk should go to a breast milk bank, not be sold at Sweet Frog, imho.

I did like the taste of breast milk when I was nursing, so I'm sure it probably tastes just fine.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
It's hers to sell. No need to put a moral weight on it. Many people 'waste' things that would be better put to use elsewhere.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I've merged the two threads on this topic, and kept it in the Vegan Support Forum.

Carry on!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

It's hers to sell. No need to put a moral weight on it. Many people 'waste' things that would be better put to use elsewhere.
We're not allowed to sell our organs or blood to people, so why should you be able to sell Breast Milk?

I'm playing Devil's Advocat, and I do understand what you're saying, but I know that there are so many mother's out there who depend on breast milk donations and seeing that grinds my gears. Breast milk is such a great thing that we can give our children and see her use it for ice cream makes me sad. If she was such a lactivist you would think she would know how much better it would be to donate it if her children don't drink it anymore.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
^ It would have been kinder for her to do that, but it's her breast milk, and she shouldn't be told what to do with it.

Anyway, I have no moral qualms with drinking/eating human breast milk in this circumstance - but if it actually became a popular thing, I wonder how long it would remain cruelty free, and how long untill profit overtakes human rights and we start out sourcing to developing countries where people turn a blind eye to exploiting women?

Anyway, I'd say it was vegan, just like kissing or other bluer pass times.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Next time I'm in Covent Garden I'll give it a go and tell you guys how it is..... yeah no. I read about this in the paper and my thought pattern went "Would this technically be vegan? Do I care Im not going to ever try it" and felt a bit sick.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

We're not allowed to sell our organs or blood to people, so why should you be able to sell Breast Milk?
you can sell blood plasma

·
Registered
888 Posts
All I can hope is that people's reaction to this (eeewww!!!) might make them think a bit more about what they're putting in their mouths when they eat dairy, which is from another species no less. Why would i spend £14 on human ice cream when I can buy a big tub of soya ice cream, which is absolutely delicious, for £2. I'd say breast milk ice cream is vegan but weird and a bit gross.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

you can sell blood plasma
Really? I didn't think you can (but I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's different here)

Anyways. It's just my opinion on the matter and actually has nothing to do with the subject at had (vegan or not).

Carry on

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Really? I didn't think you can (but I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's different here)

Anyways. It's just my opinion on the matter and actually has nothing to do with the subject at had (vegan or not).

Carry on
yeah, you can in the states, but I don't know about other countries. Thus you see people who are living on the edge lining up to sell their plasma. I'm not sure why some forms of selling one's body are legal and others not. Like, you can get paid to be a medical test subject, which can also have some dire consequences and attracts people who are on the edge, which is supposed to be the argument against selling organs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGN1412

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Semen and egg donors are compensated as well.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:

That pisses me off.

That breastmilk should've been donated to a milk bank and used for mother's who struggle to breastfeed or can't. Instead she's profiting off of it.
Perhaps she does both.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts