VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well the chap who started the vegan society died in his 90's.

Meat eaters die younger through their saturated fats in meats etc,. Meat consumption causes cancers and heart disease.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's interesting because I have been hearing lots of conflicting things from nutritionists. Some say veg is better and others will say things like what you heard. Overall I would tend to think veg is healthier (duh) and there are tons of veg*ans who live longer than omnis.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think it's only half-true.

Whether you are veg*an or omnivore isn't the issue, it's how you balance your diet. It's how you supplement yourself, whether you get the nutrients you need, whether you exercise and practice a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone can be unhealthy and die early, veg*an and omni alike.

However, I read an article on scientific evidence that the human digestive system is not properly setup for meat consumption and digestion, which is part of why so many people get sick from eating it for many years, consistently. I need to find that link.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
"Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis says that vegetarians live an average of 7-9 years longer than meat eaters. Since this is partially due to vegetarians being more likely to pay attention to what they eat and eat a healthy, well balanced diet, they also compared against nutrition-conscious omnivores. In that case, the vegetarians lived an average of 4-5 years longer. Not sure exactly where they got their statistics from, though.

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There is some evidence now that points to the fact that vegetarians and especially vegans, often have much higher levels of Homocysteine (an amino acid) in their blood than omnis. This amino acid can cause heart disease leading to stroke and other diseases of the arteries. Not having enough folic acid, B6 and B12 in your diet is apparently the cause.

·
Registered
590 Posts
its definitely not true. it's not whether or not you are consuming animals for the most part, there are vegetarians who live off nothing but junk, dont exercise, etc. etc. and will probably affect their life span because of it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've heard meat-eaters die sooner and that vegans/vegetarians live aprox 7-10 years longer. it's all about the diet though. There are plenty of vegans and vegetarians that have crapy diets and that is almost as bad as eating like a meat-eater. It's about avoiding chemicals, sat. fats, cholesterol and epty carbs. If you eat a diet rich in whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits and veggies and you exercise you'll live a long healthy life.

·
Registered
142 Posts
HandcuffedAngel said:
I think it's only half-true.

Whether you are veg*an or omnivore isn't the issue, it's how you balance your diet. It's how you supplement yourself, whether you get the nutrients you need, whether you exercise and practice a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone can be unhealthy and die early, veg*an and omni alike.

QUOTE]

I agree

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I think that I have a very horrible diet, usually my food consist of either pineapple pizza, or faux buffalo wings, or popcorn, or some sort of potato/egg/rice/bean taquito thingy and I try to eat a bananna everyday. Sometimes I get andy's hotfries, and all I drink is water. Thats it, I don't have any other food around here. So yeah.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Uhh... no offense, but I have to agree with you. That's a horrible diet. I'd recommend looking up the vegetarian food pyramid on the web, and maybe reading "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis.

At the very least, get some green stuff into your diet and cut back on the pizza and junk food. Frozen veggies are cheap, healthy, and easy to prepare. Just toss them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and eat them. Peas are good for protein, and I do plenty of spinach and broccoli for vitamins and minerals. And I try to buy some non-green veggies regularly, too, like carrots and squash. The more colors, the more nutritional variety.

Also, I'd recommend getting a good multi-vitamin. Be sure to get one with iron, as there are non-iron versions of most multis, so check the label. You'll probably have to go to a nutritional store or some place like Whole Foods to find vitamin pills that don't have gelatin, unfortunately.

--Fromper

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

If you eat a diet rich in whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits and veggies and you exercise you'll live a long healthy life.
But as much as we like to think that, even that isn't true.

My dad ate relatively healthy foods, and he died when he was 52 from a disease that has no known cause and no known cure.

And he was vegetarian for almost a decade of his life.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Eating a vegetarian diet is good and a well balanced omni diet can be good for you also, but even if you spend your life time eating healthy, you still can die early. It may not be in your future to die of a heart attack, or heart disease, or a stroke or cancer. It may be in your future to die of something eles. If you get hit by a car head on you could die. No matter what kind of food you had put in your body, if it's your time to go you will go. No matter if you're a vegetarian or an omni, death does not discriminate. If it's your time, it's your time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dunno I think that I'm actually harming my body more than I'm helping, I'm thinking about becomes a selective omni and eating only fish and chicken. Man I'm tired and sick all the time now, so I dunno.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidneylust View Post

Well I think that I have a very horrible diet, usually my food consist of either pineapple pizza, or faux buffalo wings, or popcorn, or some sort of potato/egg/rice/bean taquito thingy and I try to eat a bananna everyday. Sometimes I get andy's hotfries, and all I drink is water. Thats it, I don't have any other food around here. So yeah.
It sounds like you're eating a lot of take-out stuff. It'd be much better if you cooked for yourself at home. What's your domestic situation like? Are you able to cook for yourself?

I'd recommend getting a blood test done too if you're tired and sick all the time. You'll be able to find out if your diet is to blame for this.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Quote:

I dunno I think that I'm actually harming my body more than I'm helping, I'm thinking about becomes a selective omni and eating only fish and chicken. Man I'm tired and sick all the time now, so I dunno.
I felt weak alot for about a month. Constant study of vegan eating, examining what I was and was not eating. helped me to regain my strength. My job requires alot of physical energy for which I have no trouble finding now that I have educated myself more.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

You can't fool Mother Nature.

Your genes will get you in the end.
Many genetic mutations are multifactorial; meaning such mutations require an environmental insult like bad diet, smoking, lack of exercise etc.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Quote:

so, you're thinking of adding fish and chicken to your already existing diet? I doubt that would help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.