VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you have to give your name and address to the police and it becomes public record, allowing the criminal to learn your identity? That's what an officer told me this morning.

I just had my first serious road rage incident.

A dude, about 45 tried to force me out of my lane and into oncoming traffic repeatedly. My passenger said he came within an inch of my car, several times.

After I called the police, we ended up sitting beside each other at a stop light, where the man proceeded to start yelling at us. The police had told me not to engage any contact with him, so I didn't and drove on as soon as the light changed.

Would you file a report or let it go?

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Do you know if the police ever caught up with him? If you don't file a report, is the he not going to get charged? I don't really understand the entirety of the situation.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave the police his licence plate # but for the police to do anything, I have to file a report. If I file a report, he will get a warning letter in the mail, which seems lame.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but in Canada, if you have concerns about testifying, you can call victim services to get confidential advice on whether or not the state can provide adequate protection against potential reprisal or threats. Also, in some courts they allow you to give personal information (like your address) in writing and submitted directly to the judge in confidentiality. Where I live specifically, actually testifying as to your home address is not common and you can always voice your concerns to the judge.

Your local victims services contact would be able to advise you further.

As to police records, as a general principle, they are considered public record insofar as they can be requested by the public. There are usually statutes that provide provisions on the release of information that may, among other things, bring potential harm to innocent individuals.

Personally, I would file a report. The dude is unhinged (based on your statements) and it would be in the interest of the public that he be prevented from possibly seriously injuring someone else.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
why don't you call the police station and just ask? ask what becomes public knowledge, and maybe explain your concerns.

Btw, don't forget the internet. if the guy's savvy, he can find out about you for a small fee or free.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Drop it. Nothing good will come of it. The police don't like to get involved in anything, especially if it doesn't earn any money or get them any good media attention. They won't do anything, just like you said. They will send him a letter. The best case scenario is he would laugh it off and think you are a putz. Worst case is he may go nuts and either find you or if he sees you on the road again, harass you again.

We know your frustration. We feel your pain. We also have to drive alongside these idiots all the time.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Although now I am curious.... as they say driving is a privileged--do they perhaps revoke a drivers license after a certain number of complaints or something (like perhaps fine the person a small amount, then if they do not contest it, revoke the license)?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. I guess I was pretty traumatized over it and I just want to let it go. I learned something, though. You can find out who anyone is by their licence plate number. I did not know that.

I would imagine if you get enough letters, something will happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts