VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With as many vegetables/fruits/vega protein shake that I take, I have ( I believe) the necessary daily vitamins and minerals. Protein wise also on par. However recently I started keeping count( everyone in a while I do so for a sanity check) of calories and other and I am pretty short on the minimum recommended for me, approximately 2000. I use a website called fitday.com
Also, the tracking was inspired by the necessity to increase my consumption of calcium, vitamin D, magnesium etc for bone improvement. It appears that my bone density is at osteopenia level. I believe this was due to at the beginning of my no animal products diet I neglected to replace milk with almond milk.
I suppose I know the answer and need to increase my calories intake. But to get from about to 1200 to 2000 + seems like I need so many empty calories. Is it time to chow down on rice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't go for 'empty calories' when you can go for nutritious ones!

Rice doesn't have to be 'empty' if you go for wholegrain (brown) rice, it's a good source of fibre, manganese, phosphorus, iron , vit. B 1, 3 and 6 among others. Same goes for wholegrain pasta: calorie dense *and* much healthier than white. You could also consider healthy, tasty, high-calorie breakfasts, such as oat or buckwheat porridge with dried fruits and some spices (those are for flavour and nutrients, not calories), and snacking on nuts (raw & unsalted), seeds and dried fruits, as all are high-calorie and quite healthy.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Only bad thing about whole-grain though, is that you get full more quickly, and in my opinion, is worse-tasting.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you want more calories, then don't just look at carbs, and start looking at fat. Try (pea)nuts. Great for non-carb calories and protein. And don't forget that the body needs fat.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Not if you know how to cook it to taste good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Yep. Even my 4 year old granddaughter will eat my whole grain brown rice with veggies and you know how picky kids are.
I can't even eat white rice without anything wet on it though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I don't eat it dry, I have a secret recipe dressing/seasoning I put on it.
It's delicious.
You'll have to send the recipe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Only bad thing about whole-grain though, is that you get full more quickly, and in my opinion, is worse-tasting.
I love the taste of brown rice. I find the taste of some wholegrain pastas a bit too strong , but I really like a lot of the kamut wholegrain pastas, and some spelt pastas too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

I can't even eat white rice without anything wet on it though.
Well, yes, but... why would you?
Of course I meant wholegrain pastas & rice with sauces of some kind

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe posting your current eating could help us see good places to add some healthy calories in there for you
. Because 1200 is pretty low and not good for your health. That's about the caloric intake of a bodybuilder pre-contest which even those bodybuilders will tell you isn't something you should do long term. The moment they finish competing they up their calories again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hope I am not too late to weigh in. I use raw, unrefined (extra virgin) coconut oil to boost my caloric intake. Those healthy and essential (non-hydrogenated) oils are also just crazy good for you the the right amounts. Almonds, walnuts, soy milk, hemp milk, dark leafy greens all contain calcium and you will absorb it better from these sources than you ever will from animal milk. I eat rice everyday for a calorie boost as well but make sure it's brown rice, complex carbs are better for your system. Plain white rice is refined and will process in your system like a ball of sugar. I understand your pain, though. My recommend calories is somewhere between 2200 and 2400, I also just started vegan body building.. so it's about to get a lot worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love quinoa. It contains good proteins, fiber, minerals, and amino acids. It can be used in its true form or in place of rice or they even make quinoa pasta now!
I get mine online because it's cheaper. I've just recently tried, and fell in love with red quinoa (which has a bit earthier taste) and forbidden rice (black rice). Both are seriously yummy and good for you! I like making spanish "rices" with them or just putting in yummy veggies with seasoning or for a super quick meal throwing on some canned indian bean mix or black bean combo. There are so many healthy grains out there, just try them and see which you like best!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.