VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. A coworker of a friend of mine rescued a baby raccoon from the side of the road a few days ago. They can't keep the animal and I guess they've been told that animal control will destroy it... so my friend offered him to me. Does a raccoon instinctively know how to find food, or is that something it learns from it's mother? Do you think it would be possible to train one so that months from now he could be released? What do they eat? Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I'm going to ask the farm sanctuary today if they'd be willing to take him, but I'm not sure how it would interact with other animals...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
I would check if you have a wildlife rescue organization in your area. They would have volunteers who are trained in rehabilitating wild animals. A local animal shelter or pet rescue might be able to help you find more info if nothing comes up on a google search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,609 Posts
Aww...This reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. (There's one story from them where Calvin is taking care of a baby raccoon they find.)

I agree with Runner Veggie that you should find somebody nearby who specializes in rehabilitating wildlife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
yes they can be raised and released but it requires training. who said animal control will destroy it? it's possible that they already work with a rescue. how big is this guy? what do you estimate he weighs? do a google search for the closest rescue to you and call them asap. if this really is a baby that can't fend for itsself you need to get him help right away. most importantly, don't feed him anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
yea call animal control directly and ask them what would really happen w/ it. I don't think it's a good idea to raise it yourself...raccoons carry a lot of diseases and are not easily domesticated...and i'm not sure what domesticating him would do to him once you release him. The form of roundworm that raccoons carry (Baylisascaris procyonis) travels to the spinal cord and can be fatal to people.

would definitely recommend a proper rescue location
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's baby, just opened it's eyes. They've been giving it kitten formula. They called animal control and were told the animal would be euthanized, and the kids didn't like that, so they've been calling rescues and can't seem to find anyone. The animal sanctuary isn't looking to get back into raccoons either
A lady there gave me the name of someone who takes care of them, so I'm going to email her and see if she can take it or atleast teach me how to take care of one properly.

As far as disease goes... The people running the sanctuary used to have raccoons and they took them in for rabies shots and everything. Couldn't I take him in and get his blood tested - make sure he's healthy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
I just googled "caring for a baby raccoon" and got a bunch of hits - you can use that as a starting point so the poor thing doesn't dehydrate or die while you wait for someone to respond.

One thing I read might make you want you to reconsider keeping him (it always ends in sadness).. as in make all effort to get him to a rehabilitator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousX View Post

I just googled "caring for a baby raccoon" and got a bunch of hits - you can use that as a starting point so the poor thing doesn't dehydrate or die while you wait for someone to respond.

One thing I read might make you want you to reconsider keeping him (it always ends in sadness).. as in make all effort to get him to a rehabilitator.
I'm not looking to keep him as a pet. I think people have problem with them when they get older. I was hoping I could teach him how to look for food in my yard, then release him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

I'm not looking to keep him as a pet. I think people have problem with them when they get older. I was hoping I could teach him how to look for food in my yard, then release him.
The concern is that if he bonds to and trusts humans and is then released that he will be in severe danger as humans are so terrible to animals like raccoons. A friendly raccoon is likely to be poisoned, shot, etc. from people who see him as a threat, even if he's just friendly.

Re. the concern about raccoon roundworm, if you do take him, just be sanitary in cleaning up feces (i.e. wash your hands afterwards). It's mostly a danger to children - as are worms that dogs and cats are more likely to have - because they put their hands in their mouths after touching dirt or things that might be contaminated.

Maybe look for a rescue outside of your area, and then try to arrange transport?

Thanks for helping the little guy/girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

The concern is that if he bonds to and trusts humans and is then released that he will be in severe danger as humans are so terrible to animals like raccoons. A friendly raccoon is likely to be poisoned, shot, etc. from people who see him as a threat, even if he's just friendly.

Re. the concern about raccoon roundworm, if you do take him, just be sanitary in cleaning up feces (i.e. wash your hands afterwards). It's mostly a danger to children - as are worms that dogs and cats are more likely to have - because they put their hands in their mouths after touching dirt or things that might be contaminated.

Maybe look for a rescue outside of your area, and then try to arrange transport?

Thanks for helping the little guy/girl.
yes if they imprint on a human it's irresponsible to release them. you can't cuddle them, talk to them and should really wear a mask when caring for them. of course that makes them agressive. people who work with raccoons tend to have rabies vaccinations, which is a few painful shots, rather than risk waiting for the inevitable scratch or bite and having to go through the shots you get after exposure.

just some questions to consider if you were going to raise the animal
where would it stay? do you have linens to use for bedding that you can throw away? what will you do if the baby aspirates or gets sick otherwise and needs meds? are you prepared to feed it an appropriate diet? are you prepared to clean very smelly poop smeared all over his cage? are you prepared to get rabies shots? can you pay its vet costs? do you have a scale to track his weight that you won't need for anything else? are you prepared for him to die? are you prepared to care for him daily on a schedule? are you prepared to handle an aggressive animal? if you have any pets, are you aware it's easy to transfer diseases between the animals? do you know your local laws about possessing wildlife?

as far as i know there's no rabies test for live animals.
if you pm me a more general area than canada i can see if i can find someone in your area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

you can't cuddle them, talk to them and should really wear a mask when caring for them.
oh no, I don't agree with that at all. If you look up pet raccoons people do have them as pets, and they are very affectionate. But there are big challenges. The mask things doesn't make sense to me - just use good hygiene when cleaning up feces, as someone should do when cleaning up any animal feces.
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/raccoons/a/raccoons.htm

In my experience wild raccoons are much more sociable than feral cats. Their nature is to be sociable.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

oh no, I don't agree with that at all. If you look up pet raccoons people do have the as pets, and they are very affectionate. But there are big challenges. The mask things doesn't make sense to me - just use good hygiene when cleaning up feces, as someone should do when cleaning up any animal feces.
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/raccoons/a/raccoons.htm

In my experience wild raccoons are much more sociable than feral cats. Their nature is to be sociable.
he's not keeping a pet, he's talking about raising a wild animal. what is going to happen to that animal when he bites the first human because he's come to associate them with food and companionship? the mask has nothing to do with hygiene, it's to make you less human looking which will help prevent imprinting just as lack of extra affection will.
 

·
Ankle Biter
Joined
·
9,333 Posts
Yeah, rabies can be a big problem - as well as parasites and fleas. There's also the problem of feeding - if it really is very young, you'll have to feed it frequently and stimulate it's genitals to make sure it pees and poops. Your best bet would probably be to get it to a rehabber. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
o.k., sorry, I thought you were talking about as a pet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was given the email address of a rehabilitator in the area that deals with raccoons. I guess there's some law or by-law that only allows her to keep so many on her property, but she slowly gives them more room until they're able to be released. I've already emailed her asking if she's got room, even if it means keeping the little guy for a few weeks/months. Whatever means he's not going into the hands of the uncaring people with animal control.

I see what Zirp means. It's what I was thinking out west aswell... The deer are so trusting of humans. They walk through the streets and come within about 5 feet of humans. It's cool to see them, but I'd hate to think that they wander into hunting territory with the same trust in humans
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

I'm not looking to keep him as a pet. I think people have problem with them when they get older. I was hoping I could teach him how to look for food in my yard, then release him.
I hate to say it but you would be making a huge mistake if you did that.
We have raccoons in our yard, a couple years back a couple of them decided that our attic would make a nice nesting spot, so they pried and chewed their way in.
before we found them they had used our insulation for their bathroom, they chewed up rafters, they chewed holes into the roof. when they got big we then heard the bouncing around over our heads, then we heard the babies,, it cost over 1000 to get them removed from the attic, then the repairs were over 5000.00 including having a hazmat company come in and remove the insulation and sanitize the attic.
Find a professional to come and get him and raise him. You really will not be happy with the results if he is partially domesticated then released.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

I hate to say it but you would be making a huge mistake if you did that.
We have raccoons in our yard, a couple years back a couple of them decided that our attic would make a nice nesting spot, so they pried and chewed their way in.
before we found them they had used our insulation for their bathroom, they chewed up rafters, they chewed holes into the roof. when they got big we then heard the bouncing around over our heads, then we heard the babies,, it cost over 1000 to get them removed from the attic, then the repairs were over 5000.00 including having a hazmat company come in and remove the insulation and sanitize the attic.
Find a professional to come and get him and raise him. You really will not be happy with the results if he is partially domesticated then released.
Oh. I meant to release him into the wild, not into town. Teach him how to find food in the wild, not how to open up my neighbours garbage bins
I'm trying to get ahold of someone who rehabilitates them. He'd be happier in the wild than in my garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Is there a vet around that you could talk to? I'd be willing to be there is one close by who could help. Even for a fee it would be worth it.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top