VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to know everyone's opinion on quiting. How many people think its okay to quit a sport you don't love at all, dread going to everyday and makes you miserable? does it make you a failure? Or is it just tring something new, didn't like it and moving on? At least you tried it, its better than never knowing...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My parents instilled a 'no quitting' attitude in me. What I usually do is I stick it out for a year (in the case of a sport, a season) and then I just don't go back the next year. If it's gymnastics or something you usually pay for a certain amount of weeks, and so I wait it out and then don't sign up for the next session.

I figure it's a good lesson in discipline and sometimes if you stick with something long enough, you get good at it and start to like it. That's happened to me many times, where I hated something with all my heart, and then I ended up doing that thing for years and making it a huge part of my life. I would never quit something in the middle of a season (or whatever) no matter how much I hated it, although every time I made the tough decision to cut something out of my life it hurt, even though I wasn't liking the activity anymore. I guess I'm too attached to my traditions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If it really makes you miserable, then you know the right thing to do.
There's no use in putting yourself through a competitive sport if it's making you miserable every day. Sports should be enjoyable for those who want to play. It's okay to quit, in my opinion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i quit field hockey this fall. i hated it, the girls on the team were bitches, i dreaded practice every day. now i spend my time getting my homework done before 1am, doing a lifeguard training course, reading, having more time to hang out with friends, and taking more afterschool art classes.

quitting does not make you a failure. in some cases it makes you smart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i saw go ahead and quit! if u don't like it, it's not even worth going to. i absolutely hated swimming, more than u can imagine, and i simply decided to quit. no one got angry at me or said i was a failure, they just knew that swimming just wasn't my thing

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I won't quit in the middle of a year/season if it's something team related. It's unfair to make a commitment to a team and then bail out. If it's something individual like gymnastics lessons where nobody is relying on you, I would be less wary about quitting but still reluctant to drop out in the middle.

I have no respect for people who drop out of team activities after they have commited. They are thinking only about themselves and not about how they are letting down and disrupting the entire team.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are completly utterly miserable then it's better not to keep yourself in such an unhealthy situation. If you feel that you must get out, then by all means do. May I ask what the sport is and why you hate it so much? It's okay if you don't want to share.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am doing cross country right now, im completly weighed down by many other things and i don't really care for the sport. It's hard, i'll tell you that, but thats not at all why i wanna quit, i just don't have anytime for friendsm my grades are suffering... (sigh) but my parents don't want me to bail, so im not gonna.. Oh well, thank u soo much for all the responses, it made me feel better about what my desicion could have been...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.