VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My memory is really bad and it really pisses off every female I have ever known in any way. Is it just me or is that like yelling at a guy with no legs for not being able to go on a walk with them? I mean having a bad memory isnt something someone can help. Its not like theres anything in it for me to forget stuff.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have always goten into trouble because of my bad memory too. ((((((hugs))))) i try to use calendars, planners and alarms.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

My memory is really bad and it really pisses off every female I have ever known in any way. Is it just me or is that like yelling at a guy with no legs for not being able to go on a walk with them? I mean having a bad memory isnt something someone can help. Its not like theres anything in it for me to forget stuff.
What kinds of things are you forgetting that the women are complaining about?

You imply that men are more tolerant. Is this so? Or do they just choose not to complain?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
yes. for not being able to deal with it more than for having bad memory. as was said there are planners. if someone would keep on screwing up my plans because of his bad memory and being unable to write it down i sure would tell him my opinion

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

What kinds of things are you forgetting that the women are complaining about?

You imply that men are more tolerant. Is this so? Or do they just choose not to complain?
No its just what has happened to me so far in life its weird.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think it depends on what you're forgetting, and how much effort you're putting in to remebering. For example, if you're forgetting to go to dates, or turn up on time, or if you're forgetting things you've promised someone - I think a person has a right to be annoyed. These are things you could set reminders for, write down, or whatever to make make sure you do them and don;t inconvinience somebody else. Not doing so shows a lack of respect for someone.

For some things there is a limit to what you can do though, I wouldn't think it's fair to be annoyed at someone who keeps forgetting my name if they have a bad memory - or where I work, I what school I went to. But then if it was a close friend, or a partner, I'd expect them to remember eventually even if it took longer than most. It took me about two and a half years to remember my boyfriends birthdate (although I wrote it down so I never missed it! but if someone said "when's Xs birthday" I'd go "Umm......" and draw a blank) and sometimes I still forget my brothers exact date. It took me ages to remember a friends name because it was unusual also.

So yes, I think if it involves letting someone down it's rude to forget, but if you just forget some information sometimes - try your hardest and just stress it's nothing personal, you just struggle with remembering sometimes.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think it's not appropriate at all. Stealing your swimming goggles and throwing them in garbage disposal seems like at the very least passive-aggressive behav... no wait, we weren't talking about goggles. What were we talking about again, could you repeat it?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I get annoyed at people with bad memories sometimes. It's usually at work, when they're forever asking me to repeat instructions or asking questions about something that happened five minutes ago.

I dated a guy with a bad memory, too, and that didn't bother me as much. He'd forget a lot of things, but it wasn't intentional. In either situation, if people are getting mad at you, make more effort to remember. Write important things down - instructions, things you've been asked to do, birthdays, and so on. Get a calendar. Whatever you have to do.

·
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think it's not appropriate at all. Stealing your swimming goggles and throwing them in garbage disposal seems like at the very least passive-aggressive behav... no wait, we weren't talking about goggles. What were we talking about again, could you repeat it?
It's worse for the people who get brain damage and then some smartarse nurse tattoos their body with messages saying that someone murdered their wife......that's just not fair IMO.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
If you have a bad memory and it's affecting someone else, it's your responsibility to work on that by finding ways to aid your memory. I think getting angry at someone for being forgetful occasionally is stupid, but if they make no effort to change it then you have every right to be annoyed.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

If you have a bad memory and it's affecting someone else, it's your responsibility to work on that by finding ways to aid your memory. I think getting angry at someone for being forgetful occasionally is stupid, but if they make no effort to change it then you have every right to be annoyed.
^^^ This.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well in my case there is something not right in my brain. Sometimes I forget how old I am and when I was born. I cant even remeber some of my family members names. I went to several doctors and they said it was normal but im still not convinced. Who forgets their own birthday??? I was going to get a note pad to write some stuff down on it but I keep forgetting to get one when im at the store :-( Its horrible I tell you. Im not joking im actually serious its not good not good at all.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

Well in my case there is something not right in my brain. Sometimes I forget how old I am and when I was born. I cant even remeber some of my family members names. I went to several doctors and they said it was normal but im still not convinced. Who forgets their own birthday??? I was going to get a note pad to write some stuff down on it but I keep forgetting to get one when im at the store :-( Its horrible I tell you. Im not joking im actually serious its not good not good at all.
I've forgotten how old I was several times but the other stuff you are forgetting I don't view as normal. Maybe you should request they do some tests and not brush it off.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Selective memory, perhaps? Women can be overly demanding at times, but men can be pretty mindless as well. I have a pretty awful memory too, ESP. Dates, numbers and plans I've made. Oops.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Minds me of a sitcom featuring George Cole as a gent suffering from the onset of alzheimers ..

His daughter buys him a dictaphone so he can record himself voice memos as reminders.

When asked by his daughter why he hadn't been using the dictaphone he replies, quite logicaly, that he forgot he had it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That stuff isn't normal, that's like the start of dementia i feel like your doctors are stupid, don't care, or you aren't telling the truth about everything.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
it depends how long you can't remember. like sometimes if i am asked how old i am it may take me some moments to remember it. sometimes i also have to think to remember what month it is right now. but it never takes too long. so if you areactually struggling to remember such things this sounds like a problem...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts