VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some recipes, and tried to make some homemade oat milk.<br>
I put some oats in some water for 12 hours, blended them with some more water and then cooked them.<br>
Before the cooking process the blend seemed very similar to the kind of Oat milk you can buy off the shelf (however still not strained),<br>
after the cooking it turned into something more similar to porridge, and therefore it was impossible to strain it because it was simply to thick.<br><br>
I tried to blend it with more water, and it did strain at the end, but it has quite a weird texture..<br>
anyways, is it a must to boil the mix? What is this step actually for ? any tips on making an oat milk that doesn't look like porridge ?<br><br>
thanks.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I prefer raw oat milk actually. It seems to have a sharper flavor, which I like. Even when I do cook it I've never had a problem with the straining, though I use cheesecloth rather than a strainer. Also, I typically use oat groats. Not sure what you're using, but for me rolled oats (the kind that are most common) don't tend to turn out as well. Oat groats or steel cut oats work much better for oat milk in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you attach pictures of oat groats & rolled oats?<br>
I'm not sure which I'm buying since it's all in German here... (berlin)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
groats are the whole, uncut oat grains. Steel cut are the whole grains that have simply been cut into slightly smaller pieces (halves or quarters I suppose). Rolled oats have been flattened and sometimes steamed so they cook more quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts