VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to loose weight, started doing hot yoga, which I love. I do it 3-4 times a week. it is coupled with pilates and burns 770 calories. I am wondering, though, if that's enough working out. There is an inexpensive gym inside a church, nearby, for 22.00 a month. I could throw in Zumba or weights or an elipitical trainer on other days. I'm a size 11, I'm toning up great for the 3 weeks I've been doing hot yoga, and I feel good. My waist went from 33 down to 27 in 3 weeks. I work form home, so hot yoga is great for getting out of the house! I've been vegetarian sine I noticed the shift of food desires, since yoga. I don't see me going back to eating meat, and no more HCG diet! yay

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If it is Bikram Yoga (or something similar), I think it would be. My experience is that it works every muscle group and there is no plateau, so to speak, because you constantly strive to improve your practice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is gentle bikram, meaning it's a 95 degree room, instead of 105. Based on the same muscle involvement. Same positions. It is the best thing I could've done for myself. I get better each time I do it, with little noticable improvements.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonlynn View Post

It is gentle bikram, meaning it's a 95 degree room, instead of 105. Based on the same muscle involvement. Same positions. It is the best thing I could've done for myself. I get better each time I do it, with little noticable improvements.
I find that if I cannot get my room up to 40% humidity, I don't get 'yoga high' afterwards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's so hot here in Kansas City, that they don't have to turn on the room, then when they turn on the humidity they open a window. The advanced class is in the other studio, and it's 105 degrees. The other day, someone new asked if he meant to turn on the heat. cause it feels hot in the room.

·
Registered
765 Posts
it is def more then enough, it gets the heart rate up and is practiced for 90 minutes.

i am exhausted after a class.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It's enough, but if you desire to mix it up, it's not a problem. Take at least one rest day a week. I would do one day of weights and probably some (2-3 days) elliptical, running, or cycling personally and maybe one less day of yoga.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, 770 calories burned is roughly equivalent to jogging for an hour. Does your session last more than an hour? Fast walking for an hour burns about 400 calories.

I understand that high temperatures increase the energy expended, but I was wondering where you got the number (770) from. Movement is the greatest expender of energy.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
i would definitely mix it up with cardio such as elliptical on your non yoga days. i think 3 days a week, with a total of 2 hours on an ellipical would bring you big benefits. i would caution you on looking for miracles overnight. you are quite likely to plateau somewhere.

i believe it takes a while to get your body accustomed to a smaller size, and then you will continue moving down in weight. the key is not to get discouraged when you plateau but to just hang in there with both diet and exercise. in the long run, i think a pound of weight loss a week is a good amount to average.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wear a polar heart rate monitor, that I wear on my arm,and around my chest, so I know the cals I burn. It is a 90 minute class. The monitor measures my heart rate, calories, has a stop watch, and an alarm I don't need, plus my weight, bmi and height. I usually do the short 1/2 hour of pilates to it. It's equal to a near 2 hours. When I go just for pilates, I burn 200 calories.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonlynn View Post

I wear a polar heart rate monitor, that I wear on my arm,and around my chest, so I know the cals I burn. It is a 90 minute class. The monitor measures my heart rate, calories, has a stop watch, and an alarm I don't need, plus my weight, bmi and height. I usually do the short 1/2 hour of pilates to it. It's equal to a near 2 hours. When I go just for pilates, I burn 200 calories.
Thanks . . . yep, that'll probably do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts