VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

this is a bit of a controversial topic, but here is a video addressing : What's the vegan stance on horseback riding? Is riding horses cruel? This is the first in a series of videos addressing horse issues, as the subject matter is very rich and complex.

Blog Post With Further Resources: ‪http://bit.ly/1qulxdH

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
I used to ride horses a very long time ago at summer camp and I guess as a little kid, never noticed them as unhappy (so long as you gave them carrots as treats after trail rides and whatnot). I think the camp took really good care of them though. Probably also had something to do with having children on them instead of full grown adults (and not necessarily "petite" adults either). 2 years ago on a vacation, my husband and I did a little horseback riding tour thing, and you have never seen a bunch of sorrier looking animals that those horses were out on the trail. I felt terrible once we started getting out into the middle of nowhere on rocky terrain and I started noticing the facial expressions on the horses. Even my husband was giving me that look. Never going to do that again!

And I think you've covered this topic in a very polite, but truthful way! It's always a delicate subject when long held ideas of how we are suppose to treat animals is questioned, especially when it's not "abuse" in the traditionally thought of way (such as beating or starving the animal). It's even more difficult to figure out how to interact positively with animals who are dependent on humans for survival in a way that enriches them and allows their personality to show instead of regimented training that makes them living robots.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to ride horses a very long time ago at summer camp and I guess as a little kid, never noticed them as unhappy (so long as you gave them carrots as treats after trail rides and whatnot). I think the camp took really good care of them though. Probably also had something to do with having children on them instead of full grown adults (and not necessarily "petite" adults either). 2 years ago on a vacation, my husband and I did a little horseback riding tour thing, and you have never seen a bunch of sorrier looking animals that those horses were out on the trail. I felt terrible once we started getting out into the middle of nowhere on rocky terrain and I started noticing the facial expressions on the horses. Even my husband was giving me that look. Never going to do that again!

And I think you've covered this topic in a very polite, but truthful way! It's always a delicate subject when long held ideas of how we are suppose to treat animals is questioned, especially when it's not "abuse" in the traditionally thought of way (such as beating or starving the animal). It's even more difficult to figure out how to interact positively with animals who are dependent on humans for survival in a way that enriches them and allows their personality to show instead of regimented training that makes them living robots.
thank you for this :) i tried to be polite and level headed but have already had a lot of flack for this video… oh well. and i agree- trail horses are some of the saddest sights you'll ever see :( all day in and out having someone (usually fat vacationer in the US at least) on you and going up and down the same exact path…ugh

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I saw your video via YouTube and while some people have been offended, I see a lot of support too. Don't let the naysayers get you down! You do a tremendous job of expressing these issues in a positive way and it can be hard for people to take when they are cultured in a certain way for years and suddenly challenged. I have been challenged about long held beliefs too and believe me I get defensive lol. But I also don't just shut down or live in denial forever. Eventually I do take time in my own secret way to think about it, and sometimes I do actually change based on that challenge or maybe I don't. I would like to think others do the same, begin to question their beliefs/actions on some level and think about it even if they do it privately and over time. Those that don't will never grow and expand their knowledge and that is frankly sad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw your video via YouTube and while some people have been offended, I see a lot of support too. Don't let the naysayers get you down! You do a tremendous job of expressing these issues in a positive way and it can be hard for people to take when they are cultured in a certain way for years and suddenly challenged. I have been challenged about long held beliefs too and believe me I get defensive lol. But I also don't just shut down or live in denial forever. Eventually I do take time in my own secret way to think about it, and sometimes I do actually change based on that challenge or maybe I don't. I would like to think others do the same, begin to question their beliefs/actions on some level and think about it even if they do it privately and over time. Those that don't will never grow and expand their knowledge and that is frankly sad.
thank you Naturebound. And yes there has been great support as well. And, I've had at least 3 people say the video changed their mind about horses. And the woman at Fair Horsemanship had someone contact her wanting to learn more about how to interact with her horse in other ways.

so that's a victory i'd say. and i thin it's human nature to be defensive when challenged. i too am like you in that once i've calmed down i'll really take a hard look at what challenged me. i think that's always good for personal growth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.