VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not planning on going raw vegan but I want to include more raw fruits and veggies in my diet to be healthier...I like frozen fruit and I thought that would be a good way to do this but I don't know if frozen fruit is as healthy as raw? I know cooking food makes it less nutritious in some way, does freezing have the same effect?
Sorry if this is a silly question!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for asking Bekka, I've always wondered myself!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fresh is the best in my opinion. A lot of packaged frozen fruit you see these days is pretty sketchy tasting compared to stuff i buy and freeze myself. I have heard that some frozen stuff does loose some of its vitamin c and perhaps other nutrients but i'm not sure. As someone said that better to have more than less

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking of fruit I buy and freeze myself actually but since I tried to freeze a banana, forgot about it for 2 days and couldn't peel it afterwards, I think I'll eat it fresh from now on

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

I was thinking of fruit I buy and freeze myself actually but since I tried to freeze a banana, forgot about it for 2 days and couldn't peel it afterwards, I think I'll eat it fresh from now on
When you freeze bananas you should first peel them; either whole or mashed. A frozen banana for a snack is delicious.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I buy bananas by the case... and right when I get a new case I take two or three bunches, peel and freeze them. I always add 1-2 frozen bananas to my smoothies to make them cold

I also made the mistake of trying to peel a frozen banana once. I found that if you leave it on the counter for 5 min or so, just enough to defrost a bit, it's easier to peel. It's also a bit gross though, kinda slimy

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I buy bananas by the case... and right when I get a new case I take two or three bunches, peel and freeze them. I always add 1-2 frozen bananas to my smoothies to make them cold

I also made the mistake of trying to peel a frozen banana once. I found that if you leave it on the counter for 5 min or so, just enough to defrost a bit, it's easier to peel. It's also a bit gross though, kinda slimy
That is a good savy tip. You can also add mashed frozen banans when making muffins or banana tea bread.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Generally fresh > frozen > canned but it really depends on how fresh the fresh fruit is. The water-soluble vitamins B and C are lost fairly quickly during transporation and storage so if you're buying fresh grocery store veggies and fruit they may not be any better than frozen, and in some cases frozen is actually better. I generally consider them to be equal, especially during the winter months here when pretty much all of our fresh produce is being shipped in from elsewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts