VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a video for anyone who has ever said "I respect your choice to be vegan, so you should respect my choice to eat meat," please watch this video. is eating meat, dairy and eggs a choice? and should it be equally respected as the choice to be vegan? is it your right to eat animals? you always here how we each have the personal right to say what goes in our bodies. but what about when our right to choose comes at the violation of another’s rights and choices?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had you next to me all day for when people challange me for being vegan! :)
aww…you need a "pocket Emily"…i'll work on that! but trust me, i'm not always so elegant on the spot! with videos i get to lay it out just how i want to…in real life you get the invincibly ignorant who then yell "bacon" and run away ;P

·
Registered
196 Posts
aww…you need a "pocket Emily"…i'll work on that! but trust me, i'm not always so elegant on the spot! with videos i get to lay it out just how i want to…in real life you get the invincibly ignorant who then yell "bacon" and run away ;P
Ha ha ha! A pocket Emily would be perfect! :) I always get so upset with people's ignorance on the matter that I end up just unable to even have any debate with them. I have to walk away and grumble to myself in despair! Everyone seems to know about everything but have never watched any slaughter footage... :(

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha ha ha! A pocket Emily would be perfect! :) I always get so upset with people's ignorance on the matter that I end up just unable to even have any debate with them. I have to walk away and grumble to myself in despair! Everyone seems to know about everything but have never watched any slaughter footage... :(
yep yep. it's very frustrating out there. there are some that just cannot be reached due to willful ignorance. it's pretty infuriating. that's when i wanna bust out this: :whack:

·
Registered
312 Posts
well it is kinda like, you respect my right to not have slaves and I have to respect your right to keep slaves.

·
Registered
196 Posts
yep yep. it's very frustrating out there. there are some that just cannot be reached due to willful ignorance. it's pretty infuriating. that's when i wanna bust out this: :whack:
I'm dealing with that at the moment. some people openly say "well, I don't see it happening. So its okay" REALLY? Funny how that only seems to be "okay" when animals are involved. Because any other blind injustice would be unacceptable to those very same people!! Ahhhh I need a vegan stress ball ha ha! I'm considering carrying a leaflet on each matter until you have made a pocket Emily . For when someone asks me about protein, iron (the topic of the week) or why milk is so cruel, weird and gross. A girl said to be yesterday yeah but if we don't milk the cows they will get ill..... deep breaths....

·
Registered
196 Posts
well it is kinda like, you respect my right to not have slaves and I have to respect your right to keep slaves.
I wish it were so simple. But I cant respect that. Especially people who eat meat but don't want to see or know what happens I cant respect that. Or people who say they love animals whilst they tuck into a steak, I cant respect that. I don't believe we have a right to do what we do to animals. I respect the animals right for life, and that means I can't respect the people taking those rights away. Animals get shown no respect. It's not so bad if we were talking about people wanting to bungee jump or what colour they want to make their hair, or how many tattoos they want to have, i'd respect that fine, but we are talking about life here. Living beings. Life and the reverence of it needs respect. I respect life. Not my fault meat eaters are life takers is it?

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I wish it were so simple. But I cant respect that. Especially people who eat meat but don't want to see or know what happens I cant respect that. Or people who say they love animals whilst they tuck into a steak, I cant respect that. I don't believe we have a right to do what we do to animals. I respect the animals right for life, and that means I can't respect the people taking those rights away. Animals get shown no respect. It's not so bad if we were talking about people wanting to bungee jump or what colour they want to make their hair, or how many tattoos they want to have, i'd respect that fine, but we are talking about life here. Living beings. Life and the reverence of it needs respect. I respect life. Not my fault meat eaters are life takers is it?
I agree entirely.

People should only have choice when their act of choosing does not harm others.

If someone were to kill another person and then defend themselves in court by saying "it was my choice to do that" then the judge would clearly jail them. If someone then does the exact same thing to a "farm animal" then there is apparently no problem with that in the eyes of many people.

This simplistic analogy belies a deeper truth - the hypocrisy of speciesism.

In a basic sense it is natural for a member of a species to assign especially high value to it's own kind. However we as humans have the ability and the intellect to see beyond this constraint and to realise that all sentient beings have the potential to experience similar thought patterns and emotions and so logically should be treated with equal respect. Any alternative is illogical and hiding behind "choice" is an obvious farce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts