VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard that devianart is only for hobbyists and beginners, which I'm hoping to fit into nether catorgory. I thought devianart was for both pro artists and hobbyists.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've come accross every kind of artist imaginable on Deviantart. Jewelry makers, knitters, drawers, painters, sketchers, animators, begining or professional.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool , thanks people. I was thinking it would be very bad if I failed automatically because I was putting my portfolio up on a hobbyists place.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have heard DA referred to by some more professional artists as "the place to go if you want compliments not criticism"

This is true, but it doesn't mean there's no point in it, if I ever start coming out with proper finished pieces that aren't a still life I might make an account.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That part works out for me for old pieces. There is no point in me getting constructive criticism on pieces that are 10-15 yars old. I made that very clear on my current gallery. My current work is going to be a different story but thanks to VB, when the times comes to put the stuff online, I have outlets for getting properly evalutated sp?.

Why is still life not proper?. I do connect still life more with the fine arts. So I guess it depends on your goals. Making still life requires skills.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It is proper, but I just don't find it hugely interesting at the end of the day. I enjoy doing still lifes but only really as exercises in proportions and painting techniques. And they're preferred on college applications
What I meant was proper, finished pieces that aren't still life.

Interestingly, I don't bother looking at still lifes on DA at all, but if I find a good thread of them on ConceptArt I could spend hours in there

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I was thinking it would be very bad if I failed automatically because I was putting my portfolio up on a hobbyists place.
You won't fail because you display your work in the wrong place, but you will accomplish nothing if you don't put it anywhere.

You seem to be asking for help so here is my suggestion: Put something up RIGHT NOW. One sketch.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since the scanner is no longer setup....*beams up the ninety pics and sketches I have using my awesome mental powers*.

Had the scanner worked duing my last attempt, I would have had my ten first pieces up already. So it is not for lack of trying that I don't have anything new up yet.

That said, I will probably resort to another method by tomorrow morning, which is to photograph the pics because I while it is not ideal, it's better then nothing.

Everyuone knows I can't scan so what method did you have in mind for putting this preposed sketch online besides mental telepathy since I never mentioned that I have a camera to use.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you do it in natural light with a good camera then that should work out ok, it's what I have to do as my scanner completely destroys everything.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Everyuone knows I can't scan so what method did you have in mind for putting this preposed sketch online besides mental telepathy since I never mentioned that I have a camera to use.
I don't think everyone knows you can't scan, and I don't think Qwerks knew this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts