VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Burning waste in your backyard is not legal in Australia. Weeds go in either your bong or the green waste bin to be collected by your local council.
Gees no burning in all of Australia? Yall dont have burn permits?

Since its sound likes its illegal according to Nishani.... you might wanna make a phone call to your local authories before proceeding.

but if I was going to burn weeds I would not roast marshmellows over it considering the weeds will probally burn super fast if they are dry and/or if they are green will make the marshmellows taste extremly funny. (BTW you got Gelatin free Marshmellows?) Roasting stuff over a fire... really is for hard woods only in my opinon.

Just dig a hole and make a burn pit.... or just bury them. No need to waste a good trash can. I doubt weeds would make the trash can melt but it would be super hot and exceptable to bending and putting holes in it if you through a log or something in there. Just dig a hole, spray water all around and wet everything up that you think would burn around it, and keep the water hose near by.

You really need to check your local laws though.... I live in a pretty rural area, you really dont need a permit, but sometimes I call it in if its going to be a large fire, and ill do it at night so people dont get alarmed by seeing smoke. We also have times were your not allowed to have fires at all.... considering droughts, if they catch you with a fire, its a HUGE HUGE HUGE fine. But thats the laws on the other side the world to you in Southern United States.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Burning plants pollutes the air, the pollutants damage your respiratory tract, and all the plant nutrients they contain are lost to the soil they came from, instead of returned, as they would be if you composted the weeds. I don't understand why you would even think of burning them unless you needed the heat to warm you in cold weather. Composting is less work. If you burn certain plants, like poison ivy, you can do serious lung damage when you breathe it in. Also, food should not be cooked over burning plants unless you know the plants you are burning are low in toxicity.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

Gees no burning in all of Australia? Yall dont have burn permits?
Laws vary from slightly from state to state, but no, you're not allowed to burn waste in your backyard. Some permits are issued to people in rural areas sometimes, but even then the permits are over-ridden on days when there is a total fire ban because the bush-fire threat is too great.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Where did you get an aluminum trash can, anyway? The only trash cans I've seen that were made of metal, were made of galvanized steel. Galvanized steel consists of carbon steel with a corrosion-resisting coating made of zinc or an alloy of zinc and cadmium (and traces of other matter). I'm sure it is possible to make a trash can out of aluminum, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Good points, Soilman.

Kindred, the only adantage I can think of to burning weeds, in a can or anyplace else, is if they had produced seeds and you didn't want your compost to be infested with weed seeds. Ideally, compost piles get hot enough to kill weed seeds, but unless you fuss with your compost pile/bin a LOT more than I do, you can't count on this.

If you pull the weeds before they have a chance to produce seeds, you should be fine with composting them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts