VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is being veg*n a silent boycott? This may seem like an odd question, so bear with me.

I'm sure most of us gave up eating meat because we felt bad about the animals dying for our food. There are other reasons, but animal rights seems to be the most common here, or maybe just the most vocal. And I know some people participate in animal rights activities to help protect animals.

But for the rest of you, do you feel that just refraining from eating certain things will make a difference? Every veg*n not buying meat probably combines to have a noticeable impact on demand, so that helps.

But I'm thinking about all the other foods that we don't eat that aren't so obvious. For instance, do Minute Maid and Tropicana realize that vegans are boycotting their calcium fortified orange juice because they use vitamin D from animal sources (D3) instead of plant sources (D2)? For a large corporation to lose a few hundred customers might not be noticeable, especially if they don't know why. But if they're contacted by unhappy customers, and told what the problem is, some of them might be willing to change.

So when you find a product that isn't veg*n, do you just boycott it silently? Or do you send a letter to complain to the company? Because I really think that if some of those companies were repeatedly told "Your product is really close to being something that tens of thousands of vegans would eat, and it wouldn't take much for you to change it...", some of them might actually listen.

What do you think?

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I agree. The entire opint of veg*nism is to reduce the demand for meat, thus fewer animals being slaughtered. However, for things like Tropicana adding animal-derived vitamin D, I think it is best to write a letter, because those companies may not be aware of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I generally call or send an email. I don't get rude, just let them know that I love their product and am sad that they include animal product in it and that I would definately purchase it in the future if they changed their source to non animal. You're right, if they don't realise they won't change it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can see the silent boycott idea, although for specific products, some communication is needed to truly awaken awareness.

just so you know, I researched minute maid for another board.

the frozen juice with added calcium and Vit D IS vegan.

it's teh jugs and cartons that have D3.

my guess, and anyone who has more science chime in, light stability.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

if you buy vegi or vegan products then you are showing positive support for those companys.
But again, do they know it? When you're buying products from a major company that sells quantities of hundreds of thousands of their products every week, picking up a few thousand extra vegan customers is hardly noticeable. If they're being vegan accidentally, they might change their recipe at some point, not realizing the customers they'll lose. Once again, silence hurts the cause.

I'm beginning to feel like I should send a letter thanking every company whose products I buy, or explaining the veg*n boycott of every single product I don't. And even that seems insufficient, coming from just one person. We should all be doing this, just so these companies see the strength in numbers.

--Fromper

·
Registered
590 Posts
i understand when people say, im a vegetarian or vegan for myself not for anyone else. And although that is still amazing, i dont think its enough. Get awareness out to people. write letters. protest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.