VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if this belonged in this forum or not, but here it is.

I was just reading some stuff that PETA has done to get foie gras off the menu at some recent charity galas, and I happened across the website for the #1 producer of the stuff: http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/index.html I don't know how this guy Michael Ginor can sleep at night. He's even published a book called "Foie Gras: A Passion". The only thing this guy has a passion for is animal abuse.

Here's some info on foie gras:

http://www.peta.org/mc/facts/fsveg9.html

http://www.satyamag.com/may00/rosenberg.html

I feel outraged whenever I hear someone talking about how delicious it is. Doesn't anybody care about what they put into their bodies or how it got on their plate?!?

Sorry. Rant over.

· Registered
13,118 Posts
[sarcasm]someone forgot the sarcasm tags![/sarcasm]

Yeah, foie gras should be outlawed before all other foods, primarily because it's the easiest to argue that there's no way to perform this procedure humanely.

· Registered
129 Posts
Johnny, you must've missed my question to you above.

Where does the author *suggest* defacing a book to make it unsaleable? I assume you're referring to Jack Rosenberger's article?

From what I gathered, he was actually cautioning animal rights proponents not to ruin the book in the heat of their anger.

· Registered
238,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RGR

Johnny, you must've missed my question to you above.

Where does the author *suggest* defacing a book to make it unsaleable? I assume you're referring to Jack Rosenberger's article?

From what I gathered, he was actually cautioning animal rights proponents not to ruin the book in the heat of their anger.
Uh huh...could be read both ways, I first saw it as a backhanded sort of *wink wink* suggestion, like it wouldn't be a bad idea to tear a few pages.

· Registered
129 Posts
Maybe you were reading a bit too much into it?

No doubt he (and many other activists) might have wanted to deface the book and render it unsaleable, but he certainly isn't encouraging anyone to sally forth and do so. To me, he's simply stating what many AR advocates would like to do, but had better not.

· Registered
7,929 Posts
Yes, I think Johnny is indeed asking an honest question. I don't think there is a good way to assess which is worse.

I saw this book a long while back and was repulsed by it. I wanted to vomit. It reminded me of my ex. Again, I wanted to vomit.

But my ex came from a "middle" class family that ate such things for Thanksgiving (an 8 course dinner at a fancy NY restaurant.) as Goose stuffed with plums stuffed with foie gras.

My ex, being a lover of French culture had no qualms about this. He also thought I was over reacting when I said I would never share a dinner with Foie Gras at the table. Not only does it offend me bc of how it is made, but it is animal cruelty for a food that very few people can afford, so it's not like one can argue that it is necessary for sustenance of the common man. It is an appetizer in many cases.

The fact that he had no problems with that sickened me. (Again, I want to throw up.)

Back to that day at the book store... I found that they had several cookbooks on display. I replaced some of the meat ones with vegetarian ones. (Did not destroy the Foie Gras Passion, or whatever, but I may have hidden it behind some other books.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.