VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a first date: Is it weird if you're a girl to order a salad, or get the only only veg*n option that sounds disgusting? I don't want to be one of those girls that gets the salad, because that looks... pansy, but vegan gumbo sounds disgusting.

Maybe I could get the salad, and then a (pardon the word usage) beefy side dish like Cajun Roasted Potatoes.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Of course. I'm not a big fan of "rules" like this.
I'm not either, never the less all kinds of 'role related' insecurities pop up on a first date.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I like the salad and potatoes idea, sounds good to me.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I like the salad and potatoes idea, sounds good to me.
It does. They also have: Sweet Potato Fries: Crisp and addictive, served with the house made remoulade. 3.50

Those sound equally good, but they're a dollar more.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I don't think there's a more ideal time to not be worried about an arbitrary image than when on a first date. If you want to eat a salad, and doing so causes the date to go bad, then doing so probably served a valuable purpose.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I don't think there's a more ideal time to not be worried about an arbitrary image than when on a first date. If you want to eat a salad, and doing so causes the date to go bad, then doing so probably served a valuable purpose.
Hah
Well said.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Doesn't your date know you're a vegan? If so, I doubt they'd think, "Oh great, I've bagged another girl who will only eat salads when I'm around. Why can't she just order a steak with mashed potatoes?"

Although...I do find it dumb that men think this. Seriously, some of us do just like salads. Not everyone wants to hork down a huge meal and then feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Also, expecting a girl to stay thin but wanting her to eat hearty "real" food is just stupid. I say this because, in my experience, the type of man who complains that his date ordered a salad is also the the type of man to have this thin body expectation.

Sorry. [/rant]

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Maybe I could get the salad, and then a (pardon the word usage) beefy side dish like Cajun Roasted Potatoes.
If you are going on a date the guy already likes you and, I am sure, would much prefer you to be comfortable and be yourself. Order whatever you actually want.

However if you feel the need to not be possibly perceived as a 'salad with dressing on the side' girl why not say something like: 'The cajun roast potatoes look great so I definitely want those and I'll have them with a nice big salad'. - Potatoes first as stereotypically salad girls would stay away from carbs and big in front of the salad to show you have a healthy appetite.

Let us know how you go

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
BAH, if my date judged me because I chose a salad....that would be that. You can eat whatever the hell you like
. Your date will, so why shouldn't you.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Bloody hell I wouldn't even think to worry about such a thing! Just eat what you like, and if your date takes against you because you ordered a salad, they're not the kind of person you'd want to date anyway, they're a knob

That said, gumbo is yummy.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
hell yes, get the salad. what i eat is part of who i am. my health is a lot more important to me than impressing someone who eats an unhealthy diet. i wouldn't give it a second thought. it is what it is. if you can't go out with someone and be yourself, then it's not worth going out with them.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Some places has salads that gets you filled up , ask for bread with it also , I know the bread might be a problem however if its not then do so. I wouldn't worry too much because its what you want to eat and I was raised to eat what your interest are.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Doesn't your date know you're a vegan? If so, I doubt they'd think, "Oh great, I've bagged another girl who will only eat salads when I'm around. Why can't she just order a steak with mashed potatoes?"

Although...I do find it dumb that men think this. Seriously, some of us do just like salads. Not everyone wants to hork down a huge meal and then feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Also, expecting a girl to stay thin but wanting her to eat hearty "real" food is just stupid. I say this because, in my experience, the type of man who complains that his date ordered a salad is also the the type of man to have this thin body expectation.

Sorry. [/rant]
I totally agree, and no, he doesn't know yet. We've worked together for about... 9 months, but it's never come up (partially because I'm very private, and at work I'm just there to work). Honestly, I was just happy we're going to a restaurant where I do at least have a few options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

If you are going on a date the guy already likes you and, I am sure, would much prefer you to be comfortable and be yourself. Order whatever you actually want.

However if you feel the need to not be possibly perceived as a 'salad with dressing on the side' girl why not say something like: 'The cajun roast potatoes look great so I definitely want those and I'll have them with a nice big salad'. - Potatoes first as stereotypically salad girls would stay away from carbs and big in front of the salad to show you have a healthy appetite.

Let us know how you go
Great idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

hell yes, get the salad. what i eat is part of who i am. my health is a lot more important to me than impressing someone who eats an unhealthy diet. i wouldn't give it a second thought. it is what it is. if you can't go out with someone and be yourself, then it's not worth going out with them.
But see... you're one of those men that makes women worry about this kind of thing, at least from the posts by you that I've read, never the less, your post I totally 100% agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

Some places has salads that gets you filled up , ask for bread with it also , I know the bread might be a problem however if its not then do so. I wouldn't worry too much because its what you want to eat and I was raised to eat what your interest are.
Oh that's true. I've never been there, but it is a cajun restaurant so I'm sure their serving sizes are ridiculously big.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

But see... you're one of those men that makes women worry about this kind of thing, at least from the posts by you that I've read, never the less, your post I totally 100% agree with.
actually i'd be superbly impressed if that's what a date ordered. it's what i'd be eating too
. but i really think the most enjoyable meals are prepared together. an elaborate veggie home meal is the most impressive. and while i wouldn't be the one to manage it since my skills are limited, i'd be a good gopher and do exactly what she told me to.
. i can slice and dice and scrub and take out the garbage and generally stay out of the boss's way.

of course, it's unsaid that in the bedroom i'm in charge. call it the division of management skills.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I never judged a woman by what she ordered, where is this stereotype from? The US? At least in Montreal, Canada, as far as I know, you can order whatever you want.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I never judged a woman by what she ordered, where is this stereotype from? The US? At least in Montreal, Canada, as far as I know, you can order whatever you want.
Yes, at least in the areas I've lived. Women are 'desperate to be thin' if they order a salad and wont 'eat a real meal'. It's a very very broad stereotype.

Ironically, the date is in about... an hour, so we shall see how it goes!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.