VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see no indication on their label or website that the ingredients aren't vegan but you guys have more experience in this than me. Anyone here drink it or know any additional info?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
No, it's not vegan. Their source of vitamin D is D3 obtained from sheep wool. Their soybeans are also genetically modified and produced by DuPont ( that's what that solace "technology" is). I'd defenitly go for a different brand.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Do you have a link or something that I can look at to explain more about their D3 being obtained from sheep's wool and their soybeans being genetically modified? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
For the info on GMO soybeans, I just looked up Solace on a search to find out what it was and it was a DuPont site. The info on Vit. D3 I read on another site, I can't remember where, but this was last summer I found out. Sorry I'm not of much help. Maybe I'll try and find the link for ya!

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
If the soybeans aren't organic and the product doesn't state that it's non-GMO, it's pretty much 100% guaranteed to be genetically modified. The majority of non-organic soybeans grown are "RoundUp Ready", GMO soybeans.

Vitamin D3 (which is what 8th Continent specifies on their label) is always animal derived. http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faqingredients.htm#d3

The majority of soymilks out there are vegan. The easiest way to tell if a soymilk is vegan is to look at the label. If it is fortified with Vitamin D, make sure is specifies D2, otherwise it's questionable. The only plain soymilk I know of that is non-vegan is 8th Continant, since Sun Soy recently changed to using D2. There are a number of strawberry flavored soymilks that use caramine as a coloring, but that is all I can think of.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
they just started carrying this brand in my store and when i read the label i was turned off just by how many ingredients it had compared to the other choices we have here. we stuck with silk!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dumped the last bit of it I had in my refridgerator down the sink when I got home. It makes me mad still today....I feel dump for being so trusting of their packaging. Live and learn I suppose.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah...that stuff is kinda like "faux" soymilk, all isolated soy protein and oil! ecch. Go for Westbrae, that stuff is perty good. So is Eden and Pacific soy, though Eden is spendier, and some veg*ns take issue with the fact that Pacific recently expanded to sell beef/chicken broth!

Its so nice about soymilk how most is organi happy! Yay! Most dairy milk you have to fuss around to find some organic, and you pay $2 more.
haha.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
haha my friend bought that here in sd. his soy milk had milk solids in it. i was reading it out of habit but after the sucker already had half of it. i forget what brand it was.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I'm still not convinced that this isn't vegan. It doesn't say anywhere on the label D3 or animal or anything. How do you know that it isn't vegan?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

Their soybeans are also genetically modified and produced by DuPont ( that's what that solace "technology" is).
OH MY GOD!!! I love that stuff!!! I'm not vegan, so maybe I could explain it away, but it's DUPONT!!! They're the DEVIL!!!

This reminds me of when I used to work for the company that does Dupont's information security. One day we found out just how vulnerable the web sites (including that of the subsidiary that produces Solae) was to various easy exploitations. Of course, being an ethically sound (and extremely well-paid at the time) professional, I just patched things up and moved on.

Nothing like having your soul sucked out through your ******* by a multinational environmental demagogue for money, right?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Yeah DuPont sucks big time. My dad worked there. As a little girl, I remembering him telling me which buildings the monkeys (for testing ) were kept.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
The reason I brought this up is that Vegan Outreach was promoting 8th Continent as one of the best tasting soy milks currently available. So that made me wonder if it really wasn't vegan or not, so I wrote the company and the company confirmed what you all have said:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting 8th Continent with your inquiry. The Vitamin D added to 8th Continent soymilk is from animal origin. It is Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) from wool fat (lanolin). Thus, it is not a vegan product.
The director of VO didn't realize this until after receiving many emails telling him the same thing, so after contacting the company himself, he sent out a follow up email... which I'll qoute here:

Quote:
Soymilk Encounter of the "DOH!" Kind

-Matt Ball

My mention of 8th Continent Soymilk in the last Vegan Spam brought in more letters than any other edition in the past year. The most pressing comment was that the Vitamin D that is added to the soymilk is derived from animals (it is Vitamin D3, as opposed to D2, which is derived from plants). This might be a good opportunity to write to the company and ask them to make the product acceptable to vegetarians (see postscript).

Other letters took Vegan Outreach to task for endorsing a product that is offensive in other ways. These complaints ranged from the soymilks sugar / chemical content and the possible use of genetically modified soybeans, to one of the parent companys animal testing and the evils of multi-national corporations. Let me tell you why I dont think these concerns should prevent us from promoting a soymilk.

I had heard from a number of people that 8th Continent Soymilk was by far the best, but it was family friends that prompted me to try it. This non-vegan family of four, for whom I had cooked many times, had tried every other kind of non-dairy milk I could find in Pittsburgh. One day, they told me about 8th Continent, and that they are buying it for themselves now, instead of cows milk, because of the taste.

Some may argue that the Earth would be better off if they went back to drinking cows milk. While there are people who argue that genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are a greater threat than industrial animal agriculture, I have seen no compelling evidence for this. Various environmental tragedies have been right around the corner for decades, but have never materialized. The Earth only matters as much as the suffering and pleasure of its individual creatures. Im not willing to have dairy cows and veal calves suffer and that is what will happen if people are told they can only drink organic, additive-free, small-company soymilk so I can take a symbolic stand against hypothetical environmental nightmares.

No matter what we argue, the vast majority of people arent going to give up their status quo, support communal, not-for-profit local farms, and eat only non-processed whole foods.

Contrast this with the outcry against any vegetarian endorsement of the BK Veggie, and the pre-emptive strikes against McDonalds McVeggie (see also this article) and it would appear that many vegetarians dont want to be joined by anyone from the masses. They would rather have it their way.

Although we will not promote 8th Continent Soymilk as vegan because of the vitamin D3, we would much prefer that people concerned with taste drink a non-organic soymilk from a multinational that contains D3, rather than continue to drink cows milk. In fact, we dont know that avoiding the small amounts of D3 in fortified foods alleviates much suffering; it may very well be that vegans should not publicly worry about D3 if we want to do the most good.

Unless human nature changes drastically, most people are going to continue doing what is relatively convenient. This is the bottom line: we can argue, in isolation, for our view of vegan purity, or we can encourage concrete steps that will prevent suffering.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
It seems kind of irresponsible not to state on the label that it isn't vegan. I mean, it's SOYMILK!!! Failing to state that it is not vegan is like selling beer without mentioning that, by the way, is non-alcoholic.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Some beer is also vegan, but they don't label it as such.

Soymilk was not necessarily intended to be a vegan product. It was an alternative to milk, and before veganism became as prevalent as it's becoming, the primary drinkers were lactose-intolerant individuals.

As much as I'd like for all products to carry a vegan or non-vegan label, it's still a case of "buyer beware" out there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts