VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my english class I have to bring in some sort of irish food (long story) for a project. We are reading the book Angela's Ashes if anyone else has read it. So hopefully something that could tie into the book somehow. Vegetarian, obviously. I can't think of anything good to make. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bryanna Clark Grogan's "Almost no Fat Holiday Cookbook" has several Irish recipes in it. I don't actually own this book, so I guess I'm not much help really .. maybe some one else here has the book, or you could go to her board over at vegsource.com and ask for the recipes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't remember all the food in Angela's Ashes but I do remember

Frank McCourt talking about stealing apples from a grove when they skipped school. Remember they ate so much they got sick.

I also remember Frank eating the paper that his mean uncle's fish and chips came wrapped in. Perhaps you could focus on the chips part. Didn't they steal bread from a cart when they were really little as well? That's all I can think of right now, I read the book six years ago. Good luck!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I make this "stew" that is really awesome and super easy, cut up potatoes, onions, carrots and a head of cabbage, throw in a big pot with a couple cans of tomatoes and some pepper and cook until the potatoes are cooked throuh. Yummy! I'll sometimes add some veggie sausage too. Good lock!

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is yummy.

Colcannon

3 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed

4 small russet potatoes, peeled, cubed

6 cups chopped kale (6-7 leaves)

1/2 large yellow onion, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

salt and pepper to taste

Steam/boil the potatoes (both kinds) until cooked enough to mash. Mash using some of the boiling water for a smooth consistency. Steam the kale separately and drain well. Saute the onion unitl translucent. Add kale, onion, parsley, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Place in an oven proof casserole dish and broil until the top is just beginning to brown.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for some ideas! I may stick to something with apples or bread... My class is not very open minded and if they are afraid of my project it might not go over well. I am trying to stay away from cabbage.
That does remind me of something my mom makes, only with ham in in. (w/ potatoes, cabbage, and carrots, I really used to like it but maybe I will have to try making a veg. version for me sometime.

I am getting kind of frustrated with this stupid project. My other options are to bring in artwork or music that have to do with the book. But what on earth would I bring????

Again thanks for the great suggestions.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks kittay! I got a few really good ideas from those sites! I think I might make some potato soupl. It sounds yummy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't know if its too late but you can't get more irish than Boxty, it was a staple food that was created as a legecy of teh great hunger.

\t2 Large raw potatoes

\t1 teaspoon baking-soda

\t2 cups of mashed potatoes

\t2 tablespoons flour (approx)

\t1 teaspoon salt.

\tGrate the raw potatoes & squeeze out the liquid. Add to the

\tmashed potatoes & add salt. Mix the soda with the flour and add

\tto the potatoes. Roll out on a floured board to a circle of a

\t1/2" thickness. Cut in 4 quarters & put on an ungreased

\tgriddle. Cook on a gentle heat for 30 to 40 minutes, turning the

\tbread at half-time. The farls or quarters, should be well

\tbrowned on both sides.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well, Antoinette, as they say:

Boxty on the griddle, Boxty in the pan.

If you can't make Boxty, you'll never get your man.

I was going to post my recipe for Colcannon, but pickletatertot beat me to it!

Champ is always a great Irish dish, and it's easy to make. And I'm sure a mashed-potato dish would be readily accepted by your classmates, Strawberry. This recipe is vegetarian, not vegan.

CHAMP

8 medium potatoes, peeled

small bunch of scallions (green spring onions)

1/2 cup milk

salt and pepper

A tsp of butter or margarine, one per person (you put this on at the very end)

Boil the potatoes until they are soft, but not mushy. Drain and return them to the heat to dry them a bit before mashing. Keep them hot. Chop the scallions finely, both the green and the white parts. Cook them for about five minutes or so in the milk. Beat this mixture into the mashed potatoes until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve a large mound on each plate with the tsp of butter melting into the top. Each bite of the champ is supposed to be dipped into the butter. This is a very rich and very delicious dish, and as you can see, easy to make.

Barm Brack is another great Irish dish--it's Irish bread with dried fruit in it. At festivities, a gold ring wrapped in grease proof paper is put into the bread to be found by one lucky person. The bread is a lot of work to make, though.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the recipes. I made some potato soup that my teacher said was perfect. Nobody else would go near it but hey...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.