VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up for an upgrade and badly need a new phone. Anybody have a preference?

iPhone or Droid?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm not that wild about my Droid. It was fine when I first got it, but the camera broke and it gets hung-up quite often. I don't think my model is still made (Droid 2), but I will get an iphone next time.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Android, because it's based on open standards. Development is not limited to just one company like the iPhone OS (iOS). Instead the development is done by a business alliance of 83 different firms.

In addition, Apple is emerging as the new "bad wolf" of the computer gadget world, like Microsoft has been in the past, with questionable business practises and attempts to monopolise markets.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I totally love my iPhone. That being said, I had a droid before that was pretty cool. I like the iPhone more though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Android, because it's based on open standards. Development is not limited to just one company like the iPhone OS (iOS). Instead the development is done by a business alliance of 83 different firms.
Same. I can even bring up a Linux command prompt, which just brings out my inner nerd
Plus I've never been a fan of Apple/Mac anything. Too restricting. I won't even get an iPod because it forces you to use iTunes, and I refuse to get a Zune as well. Even aside from the cheaper price tag, I prefer Creative or Sansa.

So... I'm perfectly happy with my Galaxy (Droid) and my Sansa Fuze.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

In addition, Apple is emerging as the new "bad wolf" of the computer gadget world, like Microsoft has been in the past, with questionable business practises and attempts to monopolise markets.
Yeah what's up with Apple suing everybody.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everybody. I've been waiting for the Droid Bionic since they announced it at the beginning of the year. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to get the Bionic next week or go ahead and wait for the Nexus Prime or the iPhone 5. My main things are speed, great pictures, and a front-facing camera. I hate spending money so I want to make sure I have the right phone.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:

+1

I used to love Apple; I learned to use a computer on my dad's mac plus in the mid 1980's. Now I use linux ubuntu on my computer, using free, open source whenever it is available.

Phone-wise, I have an android, the samsung galaxy s and love it. I have had it since December, and it is not only my phone, it is my music, movies, email, text, clock, gps, road service, games, camera, video camera, calendar, etc etc.

I found this forum on it using tapatalk search and am of course using it now.

Android vote here, but enjoy whatever you decide upon! :)

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I want to vote iphone, but the touchscreen capability died two days after the warranty. Nobody I know with a droid has issues, but at least three others I know have had touchscreen issues with iphone 3GSs and iphone 4s.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Droid for sure.

In my opinion Apple products are overall inferior. My Macintosh laptop doesn't even accept the standard monitor port, I have to use a special apple proprietary "iCord" to connect it; it crashes more; it has limited functionality when trying to connect to network drives. I can access my file system on my Droid 2, but I don't believe you can see the files in an iPhone.

Also, I can change batteries on PC products and add SD cards for memory. Apple products seem to be sealed tight. I can add gigs and gigs of memory to my Droid 2 by simply buying an SD card. What do you have to do to upgrade the memory in an iPhone?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and purchased the Bionic today. This phone has been teasing me all year and now it's finally here. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:

Development is not limited to just one company like the iPhone OS (iOS).
It's limited to one company. Google.

It is free in the sense of modification but don't assume open development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

Droid for sure.

In my opinion Apple products are overall inferior. My Macintosh laptop doesn't even accept the standard monitor port, I have to use a special apple proprietary "iCord" to connect it; it crashes more; it has limited functionality when trying to connect to network drives. I can access my file system on my Droid 2, but I don't believe you can see the files in an iPhone.

Also, I can change batteries on PC products and add SD cards for memory. Apple products seem to be sealed tight. I can add gigs and gigs of memory to my Droid 2 by simply buying an SD card. What do you have to do to upgrade the memory in an iPhone?
I'm not sure your mac monitor woes are very related to a potential phone purchase.

Regarding adding additional storage; Android has little advantage here. Sure you can replace them but there's not really any size difference between the platforms, so why you would want to swap out expensive 32GB cards is beyond me. Especially, as phones are moving to cloud storage and apps are tiny file-sizes.

The file system thing can be issue for some - I've used both platforms extensively and I prefer android in this regard. However, this isn't exactly a proprietary android feature. Moreover, there are simple workarounds for most issues on the iPhone which are often simpler than trawling through the android filesystem using third-party managers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera View Post

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and purchased the Bionic today. This phone has been teasing me all year and now it's finally here. :)
That's great - I hope you enjoy.

I'd recommend at some stage, if you're feeling geeky to go ahead and root + install a custom ROM - like the Cyanogen Mod or my favourite - Oxygen mod

The biggest issue for my android, initially (as a former iPhone user) is the junk that carriers and manufacturers bundle with their phones (HTC Sense UI with T-Mobile crap drove me crazy!)

Cyanogen Mod runs a lot more smoothly, gives additional features and often you'll get a battery life boost as well.

Oxygen Mod is very similar to the Google source - I much prefer using the stock "vanilla" UI and gain some performance and battery life out of my Desire.

Hope it helps. Enjoy!

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

It's limited to one company. Google.
No, as I said in the next sentence that you omitted to quote, the development is done by a business alliance of 83 different firms. (84 now apparently). And it's running on top of a Linux kernel (well, a fork of the Linux kernel), which is developed by contributors from all over the world.
Quote:
It is free in the sense of modification but don't assume open development.
My understanding is that the Android OS itself is free and open source (Apache Licence), but individual suppliers will make customisations for their specific products that are not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/a..._overview.html

·
Registered
632 Posts
The business alliance is portrayed as being a lot more open than it really is - apparently it's very oligarchical, insiders have suggested. Moreover, there is no meaningful way for small developers to know what's going on during Android development - thus, failing a fairly clear definition of open-source.

Still nowhere near the levels of iPhone control-freakishness...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts