VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a vegan 58 years old living in Belgium and my nationality is American.

I don't have any vegan contacts except on the internet. Judging from the products sold at the local supermarket (tofu, falafel), there are probably other vegans in my area but I don't know them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael-it's a long story how I ended up in Belgium. It's a great country-except for the weather. I was here off and on during the 80's and I came back in June of 2000.

1vegan-where in Europe are you?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hi vjames, you must be one of my nearest neighbours on VB because I'm in Kent, England! I like Belgium, spent three weeks around the Ardennes a few years ago. And the Belgies were so very helpful and kind to us. Daytrip over on the boat from Dover occasionally too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Ah- there's few Essex girls on this board, and Max P lived in Essex for a few years too. What is it with Americans and Essex?

Anyway it's nice to have another person on the board that was alive in the 70's! I think I was in Yorkshire and Coventry in the late 70's. And London. Actually I went to Essex yesterday (awful confession time)to Ikea.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MsRuthieB-thank you very much!

spud-you as well as everyone else may be interested to know that I read a few weeks ago in the evening paper that up until that time there were 33 known cases of BSE in Belgium for the year 2002. Not all of Europe-just Belgium.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by veganjames

I am a vegan 58 years old living in Belgium and my nationality is American.

I don't have any vegan contacts except on the internet. Judging from the products sold at the local supermarket (tofu, falafel), there are probably other vegans in my area but I don't know them.
Hi, veganjames. Welcome.

Try:

http://www.ivu.org/europe.html

or especially:

http://www.vegetarian.be/

Quote:
history

friday, february 14, 2003

Ethical Vegetarian Alternative > about EVA > history

By the time EVA was born, the idea of founding an organisation for vegetarianism had been growing among a handful of vegetarians for quite some time. Maybe it all started when a couple of our founding members took their first bite out of a veggie burger? Of maybe it all goes back to some prior life experience, at a time when some of us were cows...

We'll probably never know. Anyway, as soon as some of our current board members took control of the official students' organisation advocating vegetarianism at the University of Ghent (Belgium), and managed to have a first edition of our 'Vegetarian Guide' printed using university subsidies, the ambition to do a better job ran high. After a while, we no longer wanted to restrict our target audience to just students, but intended to reach everyone in need of nformation. And that's how the idea of founding a non-profit organisation came into being. The plan first had to mature in our brooding minds, and was finally realised, after a lot of brainstorming about the name, on July 13, 2000 - the day EVA was born.

Seven people (now twelve) got on the administrative board and split up tasks, including the positions of chairman, webmaster, treasurer and scientific advisor. Each one of us had for a long time shown a passionate interest in vegetarianism, and at least one of us is suspected of having been a pig in a previous life.

On September 1st 2000 EVA officially took over the former Vegetarian Union of Belgium ("Vegetariërsvereniging vzw"), which had been promoting a vegetarian way of life throughout Flanders for more than twenty years. This honourable organisation merged with our structures, providing an essential support to our young organisation and adding to our further growth. After our press conference in December 2000 announcing the birth of EVA and the launch of our 'Vegeterian Guide' it became clear to us that the interest in and need for thorough information about vegetarianism were even higher than we had anticipated. In the meantime we've build up a respectable collection of members, and requests for information keep flowing in through regular mail or phone, while our mailbox is constantly stacked...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts