VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Erica aka Binx. Married, 2 cats, no kids, went vegetarian about 8 months ago, now venturing into vegan territory. I have had meat cheats recently, but it took that to make me realize how much better I feel when leaving the meat alone. I used the excuse to everyone close to me that I switched for health reasons - which is true, but I am doing it for the 'no cruelty' factor too. It was a very odd chain reaction thought - maybe too stupid to share here, but I'mma do it anyway...
I watched a documentary about cannibals...a few days later I saw someone cutting up a chunk of meat on tv - I've seen that in person many times, but there was something about the clip that clicked in my head with memories of horrible hacking blood-filled horror movies that turn my stomach and how much I despise those movies...chain reaction thought to that was a piece of muscle, tissue of an animal...just like muscle and tissue in my own body - the same tissue that we protect and don't want sliced into, but hold animals down so they have no choice and then gorge ourselves on their bodies....suddenly meat disgusted me and I stopped eating it. When I have had my slip ups - about 5 since I went vegan 8 months ago - it's when I'm craving the tastes and memories surrounding certain dishes, but now when I go to eat them - they don't taste the same. They are really gross. I figure once I slip up on all my old faves and realize they are disgusting too, there will be no reason to ever try them again ha! But no - I really don't struggle with staying away from meat too much. Holidays are the toughest! Mmkay - that was my odd transition moment. Much luv! Xoxo.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you can get those slipups taken care of.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Welcome!

I remember sitting in a cafeteria a few days after deciding to be vegetarian. I looked around at everyone chowing down on their burgers, steaks, chicken, hot dogs, etc... and this SURREAL moment came pouring over me. All of a sudden I felt like I was in the twilight zone, a crazy zombie movie / "planet of the body snatchers" nightmare. I was the ONLY sane and normal person in the building - everyone else was crazy!!

CREEPY

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paisleyjane - thank you for getting it. I guess that moment just sticks out so much because it came out of practically nowhere and was so definite that my meat devouring days were suddenly over. Granted, as I said before, there were slip-ups, but I've never even met a vegetarian in my life and definitely never thought I'd become one as I'm from a typical small country town where everyone including - women and children - hunt, farm, slaughter, think Paula Deen is a goddess, etc. I actually have less of a problem with hunting than with factory farming, but still, try to explain going to a strict diet of veggies to those people. Impossible. So I reserve any judgement or preaching and I'm just going to (hopefully) live my life with health and exuberance to be an example so some will want to know what the heck my secret is
Thanks to all who welcomed me!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Welcome to VB!

My moment of epiphany came when I was having lunch at work. I was eating a chicken and rice bowl from Yoshinoya Beef Bowl and suddenly the chicken looked like it came from my beloved childhood dog. I suddenly couldn't eat any meat anymore, and I ate around the chicken. That was it. I've had a few slipups since (a lot of people do; don't let it stop or slow you down or worry you, just keep going day by day), but I've been a vegetarian ever since, and whenever I get tempted to eat meat again I just think of the connection between that chicken and my dog, and it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts