VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the folks on this forum!~

I'm an eclectic gal who has just been through losing her workmates to a factory closure and am now learning a new job.

I have a background in the meat industry (please don't shoot me!!) and made the decision to become a veggie because of my work (I saw what goes into the food they sell), health and ethical reasons. I have never worked on a kill floor, but do know how they operate in my homeland. This obviously conflicts with how I live at home. I have a carnivorous family who are rather tolerant and somewhat appreciative of my veggie culinary skills in the kitchen as I love gourmet food and wine.

I grew up with parents raised in the country that knew how to do things for themselves. I appreciate what they taught me, but that also included killing livestock for food. I am grateful for their skills and love for the land, but I feel that killing animals is not necessary to survive or live well. However, they did teach me to save resources and connect with the outside world.

I am now a lacto-ovo veggie and eat eggs that are raised from our own chickens that are treated like pets (and sometimes rescued from batteries and rescued from the back of trucks heading to abbatoirs). One chook we rescued fell from the back of a truck and survived, so we rehabilitated her to live a real life and to die of natural causes. The one time that we had to euthanise a chicken was due to a broken neck from unknown causes.

I now understand that avoiding meat has spiritual results for me. I am always learning in that department.

All replies that are positive in nature will be appreciated.~

·
Registered
812 Posts
Awesome possum?! (I've always wanted a time to say that) Welcome!
That's really cool you have chickens at pets and I like your avatar :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts