VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interesting film by Sean Penn in that he did a great job depicting the boy's journey out into the wilderness, with all the naivete of youth and the sadness that the story evokes, but at the same time a large portion of the population says: WTF? What kind of dumbass does that? Just wondering what side you all come down on?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. This is a great film to watch, and it is on Netflix... just wondering what everyone thinks of the story behind it?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
if that's what makes him happy i say go for it. i don't see what would be so dumb.
the movie looks interesting. i'll be watching it at some point

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

if that's what makes him happy i say go for it. i don't see what would be so dumb.
Well you kinda have to watch it....

I lived out there when he made his trip, and it's quite the journey...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I recommend reading the book as well. Jon Krakauer goes more in depth with Chris McCandless and defends some of his actions. There was a lot of negative feelings about him in Alaska at the time and I think the book makes an excellent argument against the "stupid kid" attitude that some people have. The film was good too, but there are many more details to the story.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I recommend reading the book as well. Jon Krakauer goes more in depth with Chris McCandless and defends some of his actions. There was a lot of negative feelings about him in Alaska at the time and I think the book makes an excellent argument against the "stupid kid" attitude that some people have. The film was good too, but there are many more details to the story.
In what way was this guy not a stupid prick who got exactly what he deserved?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

In what way was he?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

This is the argument that most people take and honestly, I can't say that I disagree agree with it. But...

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Love the movie. Love Alaska. Love the soundtrack. Read the book, it was okay but got a little dull in the middle to me.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
It was a great film, and I also read the book. I can relate to McCandless in many ways.

Each summer I go up north in the wild of Northern Quebec, my friends and I bring minimal supplies, sleeping bags, a tent for if it rains, rations so that we don't feel like we have zero energy, first aid/emergency kits.

It truly is amazing out in the wild, true wild, not in a backyard, or a conventional campground. Speaking of which, I should probably start a "backwoods camping enthusiast" thread.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like the book, which gives another side, more details to the story, and I simply love this film, and I truly admire what he did. I'd love to be able to leave everything behind me and live in the wild, off the land (I'm a bit of a hermit)! Though I'd choose a much warmer climate ^^

And if someone could explain in what way he deserved what happened, it'd be glad to hear it. I could understand a "he should have been better prepared, he should have seen it coming" or something like that, but deserving??? It sounds too strong for me, he didn't do anything bad. At best he made mistakes, but nothing to deserve what happened. To me, he lived a better life than most (anyone) of us.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichô View Post

I like the book, which gives another side, more details to the story, and I simply love this film, and I truly admire what he did. I'd love to be able to leave everything behind me and live in the wild, off the land (I'm a bit of a hermit)! Though I'd choose a much warmer climate ^^

And if someone could explain in what way he deserved what happened, it'd be glad to hear it. I could understand a "he should have been better prepared, he should have seen it coming" or something like that, but deserving??? It sounds too strong for me, he didn't do anything bad. At best he made mistakes, but nothing to deserve what happened. To me, he lived a better life than most (anyone) of us.
I appreciated the book, but I read it mainly to learn more about McCandless. Not saying the other parts weren't interesting, just kind of unexpected. Someone who saw the film first probably expects to read about him, not other people too.
No biggy.

I don't think he was a prick, he made a bad choice. I think he should have given the money/ objects worth something to his family or friends but I probably would have done the same thing when I was that age.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Speaking of which, I should probably start a "backwoods camping enthusiast" thread.
That would be great! i would really like to know what kind of supplies you bring with you out on a trip. How do you go about something like this as a vegetarian/vegan.

OT i liked the movie and ofcourse the soundtrack.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

It was a great film, and I also read the book. I can relate to McCandless in many ways.

Each summer I go up north in the wild of Northern Quebec, my friends and I bring minimal supplies, sleeping bags, a tent for if it rains, rations so that we don't feel like we have zero energy, first aid/emergency kits.

It truly is amazing out in the wild, true wild, not in a backyard, or a conventional campground. Speaking of which, I should probably start a "backwoods camping enthusiast" thread.

I think deep down, many of us feel connected to how he felt. How often to do we all just want to give it up and go on an adventure, and 'just be'?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I was actually inspired to go hitchhiking for a whole year last year because of this movie.

But I also agree with the stupid prick argument.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts