VeggieBoards banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hope that in the end you make the choice that makes you most happy, Jon. You're the only one who knows whether or not it's the right path for you. You sound pretty excited about it, though, so I suspect that if you do get it that you'll be pleased.

Good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As interviews go, I'd say it was probably the best I've ever had. (I still can't believe two people travelled 4000 miles just to interview me!! It just seems so mad, something that should happen to someone else.)

The two interviewers had met earlier with the two people from the job agency who had arranged the meeting, for an early breakfast. When I arrived we found a quiet area in the Heathrow airport hotel lounge to talk. It wasn't a formal interview, we've been there already. What they we're more interested in finding out was what sort of person I was (they told me that they we're more than happy with my technical background, and anything that I didn't know they could always send me on a course to learn - there was alot of that type of encouraging sounding personal development).

On the phone they had sounded very formal, in person they were relaxed, friendly, and very warm. They talked through more of the corporate culture and what they were expecting of me (or whoever).

The winding up type of stuff. They'd told the agency guys they were expecting to spend about 45 minutes with me, we actually spent 1 hour 15 minutes talking. They mentioned that because I'd also be expected to support a few people in the UK, they'd fly me to England once every three months. They'd also fly me to Chicago a couple of times a year, including my potential Boss' August party. There would be whatever technical training I needed. They also want to fly me to Munich this weekend (they were talking about flying me there this Friday (at their expense - for the weekend)) prior to an onsite interview next Monday.

On the potential downside, aparently there is at least one German candidate (but they're not crossing the Atlantic to meet him!)

The final good sign was the parting. Following a handshake, my potential Boss patted me on the shoulder in a great to see you again kind of way, like we were old friends. The two agency guys picked up on it and thought it was a sign that I'd made a very good impression. We'll have to see.

Watch this space!

Thanks again to everyone for their interest and support, it means alot.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Its official, I've been invited to Munich this weekend. I'm flying out there Sunday lunchtime, and have freetime until Monday lunchtime.

To make up for that freetime they've lined up three one hour interviews for me with various department heads (six people in total, starting with one, then two, then three!)

Apologies to anyone sick of me going on about my `good fortune'. This is not my intention at all. I have been gloriously unsucessful in my career to date, despite working my veggie arse off. My sister and family seem really against me finally acheiving something and have had a real downer on the whole situation. My Swedish friend has returned to Goteborg and I've really been struggling for local support and encouragement. The support and encouragement I've recieved here has meant alot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You are so Welcome Jon !

Good luck to you. About a year and a half ago I flew to Ft. Worth Texas and interviewed with Fidelity Investments. I decided in the end that I really didn't want to leave someone else in charge of the property here in Ohio and it was too early to sell.

Anyhow, they will really not spare any expense to 'whew' you. I stayed in an upscale hotel with this beautiful armore holding a huge tv and was given a decent car for rent.

Interviews such as the one you are going on are typical of the bigger corporations I think for various reasons. MetLife and Fidelity did group interviews with me too. Fidelity gave a phone interview after for the second time after I returned home. There are so many candidates looking right now as well, so they have the luxury of being picky.

Anyhow, have fun. Remember,they're just people like me and you. Nothing to be worried about. Nothing speaks louder than confidence

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, so here's the quick update. Went to Munich last week. It was cold, -12 C. Had three interviews. First with HR, I got into a total panic and realised where I was and what I doing, and freaked. Imagine applying for the best job you could get (anbut never thought anyone would consider you for), in another country, and at the wrong moment realise the enormity of it all. It went badly. Imagine bad, and how bad could ever be. You're a quarter of the way there.

I'd managed to relax before the second and third interviews, regained my confidence and I think aced those babies.

For the last week and a half I've been convinced that I'd lost the job, but gone through the motions of providing names of personal refences hoping that things were repairable, but never believeing they were.

Had a phone call on Wednesday last week, which confirmed my initial fears....

They're offering me the job, got to wait for the paper confirmation, but the worry of not getting it for the last week has convinced me 100% to take it.

Its very exciting. But I still won't believe it until it get the letter.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
AWESOME Jon! Congrats!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Skylark, its a huge move, but I know its the right one for now.

Four weeks to pack away your whole life to move to a new country is a bit daunting, but I'm sure it'll be OK.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
YEAY JON!!

BUt the most important question IIIISSS: Will you have access to Veggieboards there??

IF so you're set. Way to go. I bet you will discover later in life, that good or bad, this was the best decision you have made. WHo KNOWS what lies ahead of you. Either way you will look back and be able to say you lived life fully and with a sense of adventure!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Av,

Can you honestly imagine them sending people thousands of miles to interview him but then refusing him internet access? They're not stupid. Jon will be here

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I might disappear for a few weeks while I get myself sorted (and sort out internet access), but I'll definately be back here.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Very good, Jon. I thought there might be a lag time, since after all, moves of any kind aren't trivial, and moving that far is a really big deal!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
that's so cool, congrats! post lots of pictures of Germany for us

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I hope to do better than being able to post photos of just Germany. Because Munich is so central in Europe, I hope to also be posting pictures of Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Italy They're all within about 100 miles (France is about 160 miles away). Something interesting to do on long weekends.

I'm hoping that I should get the paper offer on Thursday or Friday. Then I'll know for definate that I'm going.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Congrats Jon!!! That's so exciting that you got the job & that you're moving to a new place! I wish I had that kind of opportunity
Make sure you keep us updated on how it goes!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts