VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I got an intern at PETA this summer and can't wate... I wish that it was summer allready. My father is supper supportive and most other people are as well, but my mom... not so much. When she found out (I called her from school to let her know) she kinda groaned and said "Oh, okay". After picking me up from school, she started talking about how I couldn't make AR into my religion etc etc. and then told me that she didn't want me to go. She was obviosly looking for an excuse to stop me from going when she asked "so, how are you planning to get there? I won't let you drive!" She allowed me to borrow money for the plane ticket that followed that conversation, after I told her my plan of how to pay her back and nocked out a good chunk of the cost. Thankfully, my local veg group might help me out by paying for half of the plane ticket (the people in charge have to vote on it, but I allready have 2/5 votes), leaving me with only 23.60 left to pay; after that, I start saving money just so that I can eat well and enjoy life while interning, extra spending money etc.

And even though I've done a lot of this on my own: the application process for the first time, finding people to write letters of rec, sending it all in, searching for a plane ticket and now comming up with the money to pay for it (whether it's by asking for help or earning the money myself), saving money for extra spending and so forth (all the things that my mom has been pushing me to do on my own and refusing to help me with)... she still isn't supportive. I meen, it would be one thing if she said congrats then told me of her concerns, but she dosn't do that, she's not happy about me going at all and won't even pretend like she is. And I honostly don't think that she'll just miss me, I meen, I worked the last 3 summers at an overnight camp and only saw her on saturdays, that's 4 days per month, so what's two months to her? And I have been gone for longer then that to, I spent a whole summer at my grandmothers house and didn't see her at all when I was younger, have spent up to two weeks at my dad's house, three weeks at a camp counsailer training camp etc. without seeing her at all.

It just brakes my heart that she can't even pretend like she's happy for me. I know she's not veg and I am, I know she's wanting me to have a job where I get paid really well, I mean, I know all of that! I just want her to say "good job" or "I'm proud of you" or "congrats" or anything positive!

So, if you have anything to encourage me, please sher it. I guess I just needed to vent.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the support!

I wish that I could just sit down and talk to my mom about it, but she's not a very good listener. I love her, but she just dosn't really tune in to feelings, ya know? Unless they belong to her, she just can't understand them. Strangely, my dad is much better at listening then my mom it.

And I can't get my dad to talk to my mom about it, bevauce they are divorced, so it wouldn't acomplish much.

Okay, gotta go to church,

jennifer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts