VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is it possible that your mother has some concerns that she hasnt properly revealed to you? Like the impact an internship with that particular charity might have on your future job prospects or similar?

The terms internship and PETA seemed slightly contradictory to me, as the kind of employers I would approach who might be impressed by an internship with a well known charity are exactly the kind of people I wouldnt risk revealing support for PETA to. Just from the tone of your post--that your mum was worried you were adopting it as a "religion"--suggest that she thinks you are making personal sacrifices for it. Certainly a mother who is willing to lend air-fare etc. isn't being unsupportive about it, but it does sound like she has some concerns, either the aforementioned or otherwise.

If I were in your situtation, I suspect that (although a regular supporter of PETA) my mother would try to talk me out of it because (a) job prospects, but, more importantly to her, (b) she would be worried about the impact that constantly being reminded of the suffering of creatures I care about would have on me.

I think its really important that you talk about this with her. Find out what her concerns are, and take them seriously. Explain to her either why X, Y, Z wont be a problem for you, or that you understand her concerns, but think that the benefit you will get from doing it will outweigh the negatives she has come up with. Perhaps the reason she hasnt explained to you why she is so enthusiastic is that she is worried about you but doesnt want you to think she is trying to talk you out of it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts