VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.slate.com/id/2295857

"Cosmic cookery" - a piece on "fringe religious groups" and their importance to the development of "natural foods" and "health food". Lots of interesting little tidbits for folks interested in the history of vegetarianism.

Or culinary history in general - you can draw direct links from "California cuisine" to Alice Waters to foodies to Food Network. Have to wonder if foodies realize how crucial we "faddists"
were when they criticize us for not eating anything we can possibly digest.

·
Registered
632 Posts
that is an awesome article!
we owe a lot to those so-called "cults" who pioneered and promoted veg*n lifestyles.

Quote:
There appears to be no thorough chronicle of the cosmic cookery trend (not to be confused with Cosmic Cookery, a collection of 190 "out of this world" vegetarian recipes published during the '70s by the UFO-worshipping One World Family).
Quote:
...the Tennessee spiritual commune The Farm (responsible for the widespread introduction of tempeh),
two of my very first cookbooks were from those quoted above...
* the Cosmic Cookery cookbook (lacto-vegetarian)
* The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (vegan)

i just retrieved them from my long neglected cookbook shelf in the kitchen cupboard and am now taking a nostalgic cruise down memory lane. this has really inspired me to start cooking on my own again, instead of just eating frozen Amy's and other similar stuffs.

(The Farm cookbook has the best and easiest Banana Tofu Cream Pie...think i'll go post the recipe in the apropos thread.)

anyways, thanks for posting that should-be-read-by-all article.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Interesting read. Thanks for posting that.

In live in the LA area and I found out a few weeks ago there is a Loving Hut vegan restaurant in the food court at the mall around the corner from my place. I thought "Wow, how did this slip under my radar? A vegan restaurant only 1000 yards from my front door!"

I looked at the menu online and it looked fantastic and healthy. But then I saw it was operated by a religious sect, and then I researched it some, and there was a quote from one of the people about how some of the devotees consider it an honor to drink the used bathwater of their leader.

And then I lost my appetite. I don't know if I trust the hygiene judgment of food preparers who think it is reasonable to drink another person's bathwater.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Farm was one of the first 5 or 6 I picked up as well. I always appreciated that it was a very USEABLE book for the very inexperienced cook. Which is what I was at the time.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Interesting read. Thanks for posting that.

In live in the LA area and I found out a few weeks ago there is a Loving Hut vegan restaurant in the food court at the mall around the corner from my place. I thought "Wow, how did this slip under my radar? A vegan restaurant only 1000 yards from my front door!"

I looked at the menu online and it looked fantastic and healthy. But then I saw it was operated by a religious sect, and then I researched it some, and there was a quote from one of the people about how some of the devotees consider it an honor to drink the used bathwater of their leader.

And then I lost my appetite. I don't know if I trust the hygiene judgment of food preparers who think it is reasonable to drink another person's bathwater.
Yeah...I share your disdain for hippies and their ways. I reject all cults, including the one some call straight edge. If that seems like a contradiction maybe it is, and I don't care.

I'm more of a sleep in on Sunday and think for yourself kinda guy.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yeah...I share your disdain for hippies and their ways. I reject all cults, including the one some call straight edge. If that seems like a contradiction maybe it is, and I don't care. I'm more of a sleep in on Sunday and think for yourself kinda guy.
I've never heard of hippies drinking other people's bathwater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts