VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have Veterinary Pet Insurance?<br><br><br><br>
I've been thinking about getting my cats covered. It's between $230-$300 a year per pet, pending on age. Pending on what plan I choose it's an annual benefit maximum $9,000 or $14,000. Just wondering what everyone thinks on it? A waste of money?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a savings account set up where we deposit a bit of money every once in a while in case of future veterinary emergencies. I've looked into pet insurance and couldn't justify the cost since it's so expensive.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
$230/year seems high for cat insurance. For a cat it should be about half that. What company are you looking into?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked it up on the net. I liked what the booklet said much better. This is for my older cat. I didn't look up the younger one.<br><br><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.petinsurance.com" target="_blank">http://www.petinsurance.com</a><br><br><br><br>
Advantage Plus Plan more information on this plan<br><br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
Yearly premium: $519.00*<br><br>
Monthly premium: $43.25* I want this Plan<br><br><br><br>
Gold Plan more information on this plan<br><br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br><br>
Yearly premium: $363.00*<br><br>
Monthly premium: $30.25* I want this Plan<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
*policy includes $12.00 Lost/Found Registration

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah it'll cost a fair bit for an older cat. i like Tsila's idea of just saving up extra cash for future vet bills. this is what i hope to start doing as soon as i find work.<br><br>
average vet visit just for checkup and booster shots is under $100, that's only once or twice a year so it's pretty easy to save up for, and of course extra for possible emergencies, illness, surgery etc, how much would you say, about a thousand a year maybe?<br><br><br><br>
i figure if you can stick $10 to $25 in a jar or bank account each week, you're well set. and at the end of the year if you have money left, you can treat your kitty to something nice and barely take a chunk out of the cash that's there.<br><br>
in fact i'm hoping to do that and use the money also to buy his food and litter, cause sometimes i forget to budget for it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think in some cases, too, that you might not be able to have coverage for a previously diagnosed illness. I think that one or two insurers I'd checked out had a policy along those lines. The cat whose health is our greatest concern is Tar. He had a blood clot lodge itself in his leg this summer and his hind leg left became paralyzed because of the subsequent nerve damage. It's better now, but because the vet linked it to probable congenital heart failure, he couldn't be covered for future costs associated with that illness if I were to get that particular insurance for him. Our other cat Sophie has a viral infection in one eye that flares up from time to time, which means that we spend a lot more at the vet's for her; since it's already been diagnosed, we couldn't get coverage for it.<br><br><br><br>
It just makes more sense to me to put the money where I know that I will always be able to access it, regardless of what's wrong with one of the bunch. I have complete control, plus I get interest.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Apple</i><br><br><b>Do any of you have Veterinary Pet Insurance?<br><br><br><br>
I've been thinking about getting my cats covered. It's between $230-$300 a year per pet, pending on age. Pending on what plan I choose it's an annual benefit maximum $9,000 or $14,000. Just wondering what everyone thinks on it? A waste of money?</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Maybe for cats. But my boss owns a horse, and she said you pretty much have to get it for them. Not only bc horses cost alot, but their injuries tend to be more complicated and require therapy. I hadn't realized.<br><br><br><br>
For the cat, I would want to make sure it covered lots of stuff, like routine dentals, exams, vaccination, meds, overnight if that is necessary for surgery or something.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I am almost positive my dog and my sisters' cats have no insurance. If I brought up the topic with my dad, he would surely laugh and ask what on earth we would need insurance for an animal for. Technically, the health insurance we have for the people members of our family isn't even health insurance. We pay out-of-pocket for expenses up to some amount in the thousands, and above that this company covers it, with certain restrictions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have money in a bank account for my cats. I am not worried about vet visits or weekly expenses. I'm worried that if one of them needs surgery or needs treatment for kidney problems, cancer, etc. I won't have the thousands needed to pay for it.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
My older cat has a kidney problems and we're paying about $40-60 a month for cat food her. Plus, about $20 for cat litter a month. The insurance I believe would cover some of this (the food).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about it, but it would add up to over $500/yr for all 8 of my cats, and thus far only one of them has ever required veterinary care aside from routine vaccinations and sterilization. I might reconsider it as they get older. I've also considered just insuring Mikey, since he has been rather prone to illness (3 significant infections thus far and he's only 9 months old)...<br><br><br><br>
Peace,<br><br>
Maggie

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Maggie,<br><br>
Sounds kind of like me as a kid. I had so many ear infections and other childhood disease before the age of four that my parents were sure I'd always be sickish like that. I guess I got it out of my system because I am only rarely sick now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was considering getting bird health insurance. There is a deductable. I think I would get it if the price was within my range. My one bird has a condition so I hope it would cover that, too. I forgot what the cost is for birds. I have to look it up again, forgot where I put the plan.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
if you adopt a dog or cat, you can get 2 months free insurance from petfinder.com, after the 2 months if you want to keep the insurance it's $6.95 per month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts