VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's this about the manafacturing process of insulin being connected to animal cruelty?

We have a dog who is very diabetic. We certainly can't take him off insulin but I must say I am curious what this is about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Was there something in the news lately? I think all insulin these days is biosynthetically produced, which means no more pig and cow pancreas sources--production is genetically engineered from bacteria cells instead. Some animal testing remains in the regular QC of the pharmaceuticals like any other drug, but those tests are slowly being replaced by non-animal ones.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading the thread, 'stupid things omnis say' and came across something about insulin, so that's what made me ask. I am glad to hear they are changing things. I wish I hadn't let my dog get overweight in the first place, cause then he probably wouldn't have diabetes in the first place. I am more careful now with our other pets.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Apparently it really was a "stupid" thing to say! What little animal sourced products remain in insulins these days are being replaced, mostly for safety and cost reasons. In previous years all insulin came directly from animal pancreas, but that's no longer the case. I don't think any manufacturers are still making it that way.

P.S. lots of ppl get diabetes from being overweight too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts