VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn trying to find a holistic nutrition school. I would love if I could go to an on-campus location but there is no schools that offer that in the Central NJ area. I am skeptical of doing online courses because of some of the terrible reviews. I saw a pretty good program by Institute For Integrative Nutrition, talked to a few advisors and really like their set up. Has anyone had experience with this school?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on the testimonials they seem pretty decent but I always think those testimonials are made up. I am super passionate about my lifestyle and I always find myself helping others so I thought this is for me. But, on the other hand I don't want to shell out $5,000 for a diploma program to find out I cannot get work after I graduate. The also are no longer affiliated with Columbia University, which I found weird.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think this is the one that Ahimsa gave me the name of.....that's all I know....if you're in NJ, have you thought about taking cooking classes at the Natural Gourmet Institute? Fran Costigan teaches vegan classes there.....just thought I'd throw that out there since you're somewhat in the area.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
You could also try a school that offers ND programs. I know Bastyr University has a nutrition program. I think there are only like 5 schools in the US that offer accredited ND degrees though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

You could also try a school that offers ND programs. I know Bastyr University has a nutrition program. I think there are only like 5 schools in the US that offer accredited ND degrees though.
Bastyr is only on the west coast I think and they dont offer an online option which stinks! I have read reviews about other online programs and they all get terrible reviews. But IIN has a lot of good feedback. We will see

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
see, I'm right there with you.....I'm a nurse and have a secret passion for nutrition, but I'm not going to spend the next 8 yrs becoming an RD, having to have meat pushed down my throat, telling patients that's what they need to eat.

I hope you are able to follow through on a program!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if I became a Holistic Thinger Ma Bobber. I personally wouldn't be opposed to counciling a client occording to their lifestyle(Vegan or Omni). At most intitutions students are educated on a lot of different diets so you are prepared when you start to practice. My first intentions were to go to school to become an RD until I found out how expensive schooling is for it and I was also denied financial aid because I "make too much money". Go figure. LOL so here I am now looking for academies so I can at least call myself a "Certified" practitioner at a much smaller cost.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
FWIW, it doesn't take 8 years to become an RD. It is a four year degree plus about a year of work experience (though that can vary a bit). If you already have a nursing degree you could probably transfer a lot of credits over (for example, I had a bio degree and transferred enough credits to do the nutrition degree in two years).

And I have never told anyone they had to eat meat. I will "respect" the fact that a person eats meat and work that into their diet recommendations if that is what they want. I do encourage people to cut back on animal products and eat more fruits/veggies/legumes/etc as appropriate because that is pretty much always a move in a healthier direction for them.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

FWIW, it doesn't take 8 years to become an RD. It is a four year degree plus about a year of work experience (though that can vary a bit). If you already have a nursing degree you could probably transfer a lot of credits over (for example, I had a bio degree and transferred enough credits to do the nutrition degree in two years).

And I have never told anyone they had to eat meat. I will "respect" the fact that a person eats meat and work that into their diet recommendations if that is what they want. I do encourage people to cut back on animal products and eat more fruits/veggies/legumes/etc as appropriate because that is pretty much always a move in a healthier direction for them.
Your clinical hours plus masters equals more than 4 yrs....8 is probably exaggerating, but it would be much more than 5 for me, and it's been too long to transfer credits.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Unless something has changed very recently (I have been out of the field for a couple of years), you don't need a Master's degree to become an RD.

Honestly, if I could do it again I think I would just do a nutrition program, NOT an RD. There is a bit more freedom when practicing as a "nutritionist" than an RD (not that that is always a good thing).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

Unless something has changed very recently (I have been out of the field for a couple of years), you don't need a Master's degree to become an RD.

Honestly, if I could do it again I think I would just do a nutrition program, NOT an RD. There is a bit more freedom when practicing as a "nutritionist" than an RD (not that that is always a good thing).
I am postive that certain states have certain requirements. But in NJ to become an RD you definitely need a masters. However, to become a nutritionist you only need a BA in Nutritional Sciences.

The program I am getting into thru INN only gets you a certification. I also hear that technically you do not need any certain certificate nor degree to practice as a holistic wellness coach. There are many "experts" out there who have simply learned at their grandparents knee or read a lot of books that are successful life coaches. It definitely helps and looks better when you have that pretty certificate that says you graduated from a holistic heath academy and that you are also on the board of drugless practitioners. I really wish I had the time and funds to go back to school to become an RD. But if you are an RN, you can become a certified nutritionist and legally diagnose and treat clients which helps you become much more successful.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
yup....pretty sure in NY too...just like teachers. You have 5 yrs from your Bachelors to finish your masters to stay a teacher.....

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I'm not familiar with either of those states licensing requirements (to be credentialed by CDR you only need a bachelor's but individual states could theoretically have different requirements). I can't find anything that says you need more than a bachelor's in either of those states (NY/NJ). If you have a link, please share it because I'm definitely interested. I know there was talk about requiring RD's to need a Master's in the future, but AFAIK that was never put into practice.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'll ask the dieticians at wk today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am wrong. Here is something I just read.

Registered Dietitian Education Requirements

Dietitians are typically required to have at least a bachelor's degree in nutrition or dietetics. Common courses include nutritional assessment, clinical nutrition, food systems management and nutrient metabolism. In addition to coursework, students may complete seminars, research, clinical experiences and internships.
Certification

While not necessary to practice as a dietitian, candidates may earn a Registered Dietitian (RD) credential through the American Dietetic Association's Commission on Dietetic Registration (www.cdrnet.org). Dietitians earn the credential upon completion of a bachelor's degree or academic coursework in dietetics, a supervised internship of at least 1,200 hours and the passage of the Registration Examination for Dietitians. RDs must complete a minimum of 75 hours of continuing education every five years to maintain certification

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
1200 hours is still nearly a full yr of working full time for free to get your clinical hours in .....who can afford to do that?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ok talked to the supervising RD, who has been one for a long time, and she admitted she wasn't sure of what the recent requirements were if anything had changed. Bachelors, plus 1 yr work experience under an RD BEFORE you can sit for your boards, or bachelors + Masters in nutrition and then can sit for the boards. Still way too many yrs for me!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts